Design Updates In My Bedroom: A Stripe Story

bright-bazaar-blue-bedroom-interiors-inspirationblue-interior-designsteven-alan-bedding-west-elm-collaborationlake-candle-west-elmdiy-ombre-fabric-headboardbright-bazaars-blue-bedroom-interior-design-inspirationsteven-alan-stripes-bedding-west-elm-collaboration-collection

Remember the bedding from this week’s 10 Things post? Well after I switched out the existing sheets for my new Steven Alan stripe bedding I decided it was time to post some of the design updates from my bedroom. We shot my apartment for the Bright.Bazaar book last year but that was almost a whole year ago so it looks quite different now. You can see a peek of how it looked before, right here.

As I’m in a rental I decided to make the bed the statement feature of the bedroom, purely because it offered the flexibility to change up the look and feel of the scheme as my mood, or the season, took me. After seeing West Elm’s collaboration with Steven Alan first hand on my trip to NYC in January I knew right away that I would incorporate it into my bedroom refresh for spring. The collection consists of a series of handcrafted textiles made by artisans in India, Nicaragua and Haiti; this video is well worth a watch to see the creative craftspeople at work in India – guaranteed inspiration right there, folks! I chose the midnight stripe duvet cover as it introduced just the right amount of pattern against the solid canvas created behind, thanks to the recently reupholstered headboard with Zephyr Marine fabric. I think these small tweaks to the scheme have given the room a refreshing and soothing feel for the spring season. Plus, I love how well the new bedding works with the curtains from Bemz and Cook’s Blue walls. What do you think of my bedroom refresh?

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply susan February 26, 2014 at 12:13 am

It’s so perfectly bright + cheerful + YOU. Well done!

• Reply Zandra Zuraw February 26, 2014 at 1:49 am

What a happy, refreshing bedroom! (Not that I would expect anything else from you :-). I am a stripe-aholic myself and won at least 50 striped things from my closet to my stationery stash. LOVE your re-do! One question, who is the photographer for that piece hanging on your (beautiful) blue wall?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 8:02 am

@Zandra – It sounds like we would be fast friends! Thanks for the kind words. The photograph on the blue wall was taken by Janis Nicolay – check out her fantastic Etsy store!

• Reply Serena February 26, 2014 at 9:03 am

It’s so relaxing but full of energy at the same time! An amazing result! I love the mix of stripes !

• Reply Brooke February 26, 2014 at 10:52 am

I have that little Japanese pattern book too! How funny. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 10:53 am

@Brooke – It’s so inspiring, isn’t it! I bought in Paris a year or two ago.

• Reply Brooke February 26, 2014 at 11:00 am

Yes I love it! I’ve had since my days designing at Hearst. I actually haven’t looked at in a while but I should pull it out.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 11:03 am

@Brooke – There’s a whole bunch of them, right? I only have two but keep meaning to get more. I think they have them for every season etc.

• Reply Kathrin February 26, 2014 at 11:03 am

Will, this is absolutely wonderful. Love love love the headboard. (I am looking for a fabric to reupholster mine therefore I am esp. ogling the headboard)

Love the yellow table with the rest.
    Can’t wait for your book!
    Kathrin

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 11:04 am

@Kathrin – Thanks so much, I’m pleased you found it so inspiring! The headboard is one of my favourite parts of the space, too. It’s such a great canvas to layer in patterns via the bedding.

• Reply Tina Ramchandani February 26, 2014 at 1:16 pm

LOVE all the stripes! You put them together so well.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 1:25 pm

@Tina – As a designer it means a lot to hear that from you. Thanks so much, Tina!

• Reply CLAIRE LLOYD February 26, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Loving the way my book My Greek Island Home fits with your bedroom colour scheme!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm

@Claire – Me too! It’s perfect and such a gorgeous book to have by my bed!

• Reply anya February 26, 2014 at 3:20 pm

That’s such a fresh fab look Will, love the ombre headboard too. Have a great day,
    Ax

• Reply Gill Bland February 26, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Hi, Where is the bedside table from? We’re looking for a bedside table that looks at least a bit “designed” and not just a big ugly lump!

• Reply Emma February 27, 2014 at 10:37 am

Looks great! It looks so clean and fresh, and everything just works so well together!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

@Emma – Thanks so much, I’m thrilled with how it came together!

• Reply Lauren February 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

Just perfect, it’s almost nautical in look – just a bit more contemporary. I love it.

Lauren

• Reply Trisha February 27, 2014 at 11:43 am

I adore this. Such a nice range of different blues. ENJOY Will! x

• Reply Claire February 27, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Love the stripy look ๐Ÿ™‚ Where is the candle from? I think I need it now!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 9:18 am

@Claire – It’s from West Elm and is called Lake! It smells as lovely as it looks!

• Reply Aga @ Passion shake February 28, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Such a positive place ๐Ÿ™‚ All the details, patterns and colors work really well together x Great job!

• Reply domestikate March 15, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Sorry for spamming you with comments, just catching up with your blog! Really like your bedroom update, and I am always a fan of stripey bedding. These colours are so fun too!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 15, 2014 at 7:37 pm

@Kate – Don’t apologise, it’s so nice to see you here! Thanks for reading and I’m so pleased you like my new bedroom look! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Susie May 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I just found your blog via Sweet Paul magazine and love it. I love the pictures of the 2 of you, just beautiful. Could you tell me where you got the bicycle prints in your living room? I am in love.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Susie – Sure, they are by an illustrator in San Francisco called Jayde Fish.

• Reply Susie May 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I just realized that there are a lot of “loves” in my previous comment. Hanging with my 3 year old and we are all about love and kisses today.

• Reply Marie June 24, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi Will, just discovered your blog after reading an article in Glamour at the weekend, absolutely love it!
    Where can i get a print of the coloured mews you have in your living room?
    thanks