Last week I was in New York City for meetings and as I was there mainly to work I decided it would be an ideal time to embrace my iPhone for snaps on the go. Recently my friends Megan and Mike challenged themselves to put down their DSLR and shoot their weekend trip to New Orleans with their iPhones alone. Don’t get me wrong, I love shooting with my professional camera (as I did in Norway and Santorini) but I thought as I had limited free time for lengthy photo safaris on this trip that it would the perfect time to embrace my iPhone’s camera.
The first pictures I took where through the plane window: one showed the extent of the polar vortex that had gripped much of America last week, while the other gave an impressive ariel view of Manhattan and Central Park. The first two days were crisp and cold with clear blue skies as far as the eye could see. As I hurried from SoHo, Tribeca and Chelsea up and down the island, from the Lower East Side to the Upper West Side, jumping on and off subways between Manhattan and Brooklyn, I tried to stop each time something caught my eye to capture it with my iPhone. Here’s 10 of my favourite places I visited while I was in town:
– Jacobs Pickles: This adorable/cosy/effortlessly stylish eatery on the Upper West Side serves delicious Southern-style comfort food with a twist. The beer’s great, too.
– Steven Alan Home: The product assortment fashion designer Steven Alan’s home branch is quite something. I won’t lie, I left with quite the loot! Expect more on the blog soon. Plus, be sure to check out his new collaboration with West Elm. The collection is already available in the US and will be in the UK in a few weeks, too.
– Joe Fresh: This Canadian brand stocks an assortment of affordably priced colourful and striped apparel for men and women. They don’t have any stores in the UK so it was very tempting to shop, shop, shop while I could!
– Dish: I was very kindly treated to lunch at this Dumbo restaurant and on recommendation ordered their vegetable pappardelle – now I must recommend it to you!
– Shillers: Geek alert! Ever since I saw this bar used as a location in the film, Morning Glory, I have wanted to visit. I yelped with excitement when our cab from the airport whizzed past it unexpectedly; three days later I headed back to see it.
– Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria: Located in NoHo, this rustic Italian restaurant is a must-try. I shared a divine dinner there with Susan and William, Raina and my fiancé; William told the chef to order for us and it was possibly the best decision of the trip. It was fun not knowing what was coming and meant we could all chat instead of reading the menu!
– Mercer Kitchen: I enjoyed a great meal at this SoHo hotel last Spring so it was an easy to choice to go back there for brunch with Lynn.
– The Brooklyn Roasting Company: Great coffee and atmosphere. Good for working in if you have a spare hour or so between meetings.
– Buttermilk Channel: This is a great stop for a cosy brunch – the pancakes are incredible!
– Canvas: A small interiors store that stocks beautifully tactile linens and ceramics.
I think my favourite snap is the one of Shiller’s facade with the proud poodle sauntering along outside. It was one of those moments were everything just came together to create a great picture – such a buzz! What places do you love to shop and eat at while you’re in New York City?
// Photography by Will Taylor