Our Beach House Kitchen: The Reveal

In the eleven years that my heartmate and I have been together we have moved a lot – not least emigrating to a new country and our new home! I’ve written before about how special and comforting it feels to finally be settled: we both truly feel like New York City, and America, is our home. Moving our lives to a new country and starting from scratch meant selling and donating all of our furniture and most of our belongings; we survived on one income for 16+ months as my husband was only legally allowed to study here while we went through the green card process; and we both lost all of our credit history and couldn’t even open a credit card or get a phone contract when we first arrived. Was it stressful? Yes. Were there moments where we were both scared at the uncertainty? Absolutely. Was it all worth it and do feel beyond grateful? One million percent.

The first time my heartmate and I walked into our kitchen at the beach house we looked at each other – me misty eyed because I’m almost always the emotional one (if you’re surprised, you’ve clearly never seen our wedding pics!) – and both said at exactly the same time in harmony “wow, this is our home”. We were beaming, and still are. The relief and security of standing in our kitchen that we chose and designed from the ground up, within four walls that we own, after years of bouncing around from rental to rental and moving to a new country, was palpable between us. We were home and it felt euphoric. After the jump I’m sharing the full reveal of the beach house kitchen. Come take the tour with me!

*Use the slider to see the kitchen before and after*
Let’s take a moment to remember what the kitchen looked like when we moved in. Last month, in my first post in collaboration with my friends at Nespresso I wrote about our plans for the design direction of the beach house kitchen, and I included a before photo along with some snaps from during the construction. Seeing this slider with the true before and after still blows my mind. It’s such a transformation, don’t you think?! The whole space is the same footprint yet feels twice the size.In that first post I also shared the floor plans and elevations to give a sense of how the kitchen would look and function. This wide view of the beach house kitchen shows how those elevations came to life. We both treasure our morning coffee time together, so we kept that top of mind while we designed the space, ensuring the work flow and positioning made sense for how we hoped to live in the kitchen. Having space for our Nespresso VertuoPlus machine next to the farmhouse apron sink makes filling the water tank super easy and it tucks in neatly next to the refrigerator cabinet.A generous island peninsula means we can now utilize this space to make bread, relax reading the paper over coffee and pastries, while it simultaneously makes the kitchen a more substantial room in the house overall. You walk into the house and see the kitchen immediately so it’s great that it has so much visual impact. I’m so pleased I decided to have our kitchen island painted in a different color to the main cabinetry. I bought the custom cabinetry from Waterworks and I love how the cool grey pairs with the rich and intense navy. The cool grey color looks gorgeous against the texture of Colin Loom bar stools from One Kings Lane, and the navy contrasts beautifully with the European oak Stockholm Sand hardwood floor from Madera Surfaces. Oh my, the floors…I am in LOVE!As I started to style the kitchen and bring in our personal items that truly made it feel like our home – our chopping boards, favorite oils and sauces, plants and, of course, our much-loved (and used!) Nespresso VertuoPlus machine for morning espressos – my mind wondered to all the memories we’ll make in here. From winter mornings padding around in our PJs making our weekend guests breakfast, to summer days with the stable door wide open and the sea breeze blowing through the house while we make sandwiches to take to the beach. These kitchen elements, some practical and some personal, are the fabric of our life we’ll spend in the kitchen and it was as much as moment of coming home for them as it was for both of us.The kitchen before was lacking surface space, light and practicality. It was also very appliance heavy so in designing the space we knew that we wanted to opt for panel-ready appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher etc.) so that the gorgeous custom cabinetry could take centre stage without heavy visual distractions. We also moved the stove from being tucked into the corner by the side entry door, and swapped it with the placement of the refrigerator. This helped open up the space and both visual and practical flow of the space to no end.Remember how I spoke about storing my Nespresso capsules in glass canisters back in 2011 (here) and then again in 2017 (here)? Well, I needed a new way to store the capsules stylishly in the beach house kitchen. My solution was this gorgeous vintage tray that holds the capsules perfectly. They add a splash of color to the Cambria Quartz countertop, while also allowing people to easily pick their desired coffee blend.One of my favorite design elements I chose for the space is the Easton brass faucet. I love how it looks against the Cape Cod subway tile; it’s only going to get better with time as the unlacquered brass patinas and ages with use. Plus, it harmonizes effortlessly with the natural brass card file pulls and hexagon hardware knobs from Schoolhouse Electric that I paired with the cabinetry.The wonderfully tactile Titik print fabric by Caroline Cecil Textiles that I used for the window treatments adds warmth to the white shiplap walls, while the duo of bronze and brass Hicks pendants draw the eye down the island peninsula. They also pair effortlessly with the Thomas O’Brien Clark flash mount pendant over the sink. Even as I type this and look at these images I’m pinching myself that this is really our beach house kitchen – it’s still not quite sunk in, I don’t think! Thanks for following along and do let me know what you think of the space, I’d love to hear.// Interior design, styling & photography by Will Taylor | Posted as part of my on-going partnership with our blog sponsor Nespresso.

• Reply Lisa October 10, 2017 at 8:15 am

O.M.G. Will!!!! I’ve been following your whole renovation over the summer and I love how the new kitchen looks!! I wouldn’t know where to start pairing colors like you have done here with the tiles and cabinets. Very inspiring! Every detail is PERFECT!! Thanks for sharing the kitchen and congratulations to you both. Lisa xo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 8:34 am

@Lisa – That’s so sweet of you to say, thank you! We are beyond thrilled with how it looks!

• Reply Karen Lang October 10, 2017 at 8:19 am

It’s an absolutely stunning kitchen you’ve designed Will. You made it colorful, sophisticated and welcoming, and should be proud of your work. Enjoy it!

• Reply Patti October 10, 2017 at 8:24 am

Oh I love it! 😍😍 We are going to renovate next spring and I’m trying to convince my husband that we should do a blue kitchen…this post is going to help. Straight to Pinterest 😉 lol

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 8:39 am

@Patti – How exciting that you are planning your own renovation! Everyone said to us before that it would take longer than we expected and cost more than we anticipated. Well, everyone was right so I’m passing the advice along! Even so it was all totally worth it! 🙂

• Reply Timothy October 10, 2017 at 8:26 am

These shots are really good. Nice job!

• Reply Jaz October 10, 2017 at 8:31 am

Nespresso is my favorite ive had my machine for years but yours looks more fancy haha and the capsules are different?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 9:31 am

@Jaz – Glad you are a fellow Nespresso lover! This is one of their newer machines from the VertuoPlus line, which uses the brand’s new style of capsule.

• Reply Harry M. Fontenot III October 10, 2017 at 9:00 am

Really, just WOW! Incredible transformation, such beautiful design work…expected nothing less. What makes it so touching is how you guys feel about all this. Congratulations and Cheers to many happy years in your new home.❤

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 9:32 am

@Harry – Thanks so much! We’re so excited to spend time in the kitchen; it feels even more special having designed it ourselves, you know? Have a great rest of your week!

• Reply Carly A. Heitlinger October 10, 2017 at 9:38 am

OMG THIS IS UNREAL! So beautiful!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 10:21 am

@Carly – Thank you so much, Carly! Still pinching myself that it’s ours!

• Reply Libbynan October 10, 2017 at 10:19 am

My hubs and I are at the opposite end of our lives together from you and your heartmate. We just finished a remodel of our last home and will be moving soon. It is such a profound experience to make choices knowing that this is the space where you will gradually become less “able.” Yet I wanted to clearly express who we are and what our lives have been about. Isn’t nesting fun!? I love what you have done and I think you would love my kitchen, too. I realized last week that it is the same colors as the kitchen in the first house we built 42 years ago….white with yellow, lime, and turquoise. I say to you what my aunt said to us back then, “Live long, love strong, and be happy.”

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 10:25 am

@Libbynan – Your comment has me misty-eyed as it truly shows, as cliche as it sounds, that the kitchen is the heart of the home. It sounds like you approached the design with the same zest and zeal for the project as you did your first kitchen all those years ago, and I love that! And thank you for sharing the sweetest and wise words from your aunt, I will hold onto them.

• Reply Kirsten October 10, 2017 at 11:14 am

Every detail is PERFECTION!! I want you to design a place for Danté and I so badly!!! You make everything you touch feel like home.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 12:23 pm

@Kirsten – Thank you so much, that’s such a lovely thing to say. I would love to design a place for you both! Also, your blog post on California is stunning – wow!

• Reply Jack Powers October 10, 2017 at 11:35 am

Everything about this is fabulous. However, is there a dishwasher hidden somewhere? It’s one kitchen appliance I can’t imagine not having, haha.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 12:24 pm

@Jack – Thank you! Yes, the dishwasher is hidden behind a panel (as is the refrigerator). 🙂

• Reply Wijbren October 10, 2017 at 11:38 am

Pure perfection! Can I pop over for a coffee?😄☕️

• Reply @lovemombo October 10, 2017 at 11:49 am

The old kitchen was nice, but the new one is exceptional! Love the brass fixture over the sink, love the sink, love that the clock hangs like the pendant lamps, love the range and hood, love that the peninsula is light and the rest of the cabinets are dark, love the grey subway tiles. Does the top of the door open separately from the bottom? My kitchen is 1980’s design – do you think if I wait long enough it will come back in style – haha?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 12:25 pm

@Lovemombo – So glad you are loving all the details, thanks a lot for stopping by! 🙂 Yes, it’s a stable door so the top can be opened while the bottom is left shut. We had one in our house as kids as so I always knew I’d love to have one in my own kitchen when I was an adult.

• Reply Jena October 10, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Such an incredible transformation! No detail left unnoticed from the hardware, subway tile, apron sink, faucet, custom cabinetry, paint selection, counter tops… etc. I could go on and on! The best part is your story and how grateful you and your heartmate are. Cheers to many years of happiness in your beautiful kitchen together, I can’t wait to see other parts of your home come together!!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm

@Jena – Awwww thank you so much for stopping by and taking time to read the post, too! We are so thrilled with it and can’t wait to share the other corners of our home!

• Reply Victoria October 10, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Love it, just so beautiful. I would love to walk into that scene everyday. Do you mind sharing the island color you used? We are currently building and it’s just what I have been searching for. Thank you!
    Victoria

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 1:31 pm

@Victoria – Thank you! The island color is called Decoy – it’s even more beautiful in person!

• Reply Ilaria October 10, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Oh my Will, that’s a dream! Love the color palette and all the details..I’m sure you and Toby will have a lot of great memories in this house <3

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 2:47 pm

@Ilaria – Thank you so much, we are thrilled with it and can’t wait to live in the space!

• Reply Alexandre October 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Beautiful space, Will. What’s the name of the navy color?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 3:31 pm

@Alexandre – Thank you! The navy is called Cosmos.

• Reply emily kennedy marlow October 15, 2017 at 3:22 pm

who makes the cosmos navy color? i adore that paint color!!

• Reply Lora October 10, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I love your design of the kitchen! I especially love how you accomplished this with the same footprint as the original. I also appreciate the lack of white cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and granite counter tops that seem to proliferate on the internet! You’re a very talented designer and one of my favorites!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm

@Lora – Thank you! Isn’t it incredible that it’s the exact same footprint?! The space looks and feels so much bigger. And I’m so glad you noticed the lack of stainless steel appliances – it was something we working really hard on hiding behind panels so that they wouldn’t dominate the kitchen, especially as it’s relatively small. Appreciate the kind words and support! 🙂

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 10, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Will, your kitchen looks absolutely gorgeous I love it! I love everything about it – it’s so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your journey with this!

I hope you’ve had a lovely Tuesday,
    Michael

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 7:24 pm

@Michael – Thank YOU for following along with my journey and for the kind words! 🙂

• Reply Juan Sandiego October 10, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Weird comment, but I’m impressed with the tiling quality finish around the window. The corner tile makes all the difference. Do you ever see yourselves moving there permanently?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 7:25 pm

@Juan – Yes, the tiling is so good. Our contractor, City & Stone found such an incredible tiler for us. Right now, we love the city too much to move out permanently.

• Reply Kate October 10, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Oh my gosh Will, it is absolutely gorgeous and so very you and Toby! Love it so much, and can totally see you guys at home here. I can’t wait to enjoy breakfast at that island with you boys one day soon xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 7:25 pm

@Kate – Thank you, hun! We are thrilled with it and can’t wait for you to come stay! xx

• Reply Jackie October 10, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Will, I am seriously dying! This came out so incredibly well, and your post is beautifully written and photographed. I’m so happy for you two! When I saw the tile samples they looked so pretty and now seeing it actually come to life, it all works so perfectly together. You did an amazing job designing every single element of this space – it’s more functional, feels more spacious and clean and bright…it’s hard to believe this is the first time you’ve designed a kitchen! The paneled appliances, the navy cabinetry, the different-colored island…every detail is wonderful. I really like the bar stools too – they look coastal and comfortable. Also you styled the shoot beautifully. Heart eye emojiiiii 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 11:29 pm

@Jackie – You are the sweetest! Thank you so much. I am so in love with the panelled appliances!

• Reply Melissa Hyatt October 10, 2017 at 9:37 pm

The brass faucet is my most favorite element it is so stunning and unexpected against the blue grey cabinets ! And Bellport is s great spot enjoy!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 11:29 pm

@Melissa – Yes, Bellport is so cute. Glad you mentioned the faucet as it’s one of my favorite details as well.

• Reply Jeff October 10, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Love the color pallet and the barstools especially. Never seen a blue like that used on cabinets, really looks nice. Last, what type of refrigerator is that? So low profile! P.S. Your wedding pictures are adorable 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Jeff – I think you are referring to the stove? That’s the only visible appliance in the space. The refrigerator and dishwasher are hidden behind panels! And thanks so much re: the wedding pics.

• Reply Paula October 10, 2017 at 11:19 pm

What is the color of your cabinets? It is gorgeous and what a brilliant match to the green tile!

• Reply Shavonda October 11, 2017 at 1:05 am

Will!! My friend this looks amaaaazing! I looooove all the choices….especially the navy cabinetry and the gorgeous backsplash tiles. I couldn’t be happier for you love. The journey is certainly not always paved in gold, but the end result is such a treasure. I can’t wait to see the rest of the house come together!!!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 7:55 am

@Shavonda – You are so right! And thank you about the space, I adore the tiles too! Can’t wait to share more spaces from the house!

• Reply Kimberly ~ Swoon Worthy October 11, 2017 at 3:44 am

It’s an absolute triumph, Will! I adore the colour combination of the navy, grey and gold and those stools! My goodness. What a glorious space you’ve created – I’m so happy for both of you!! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 7:56 am

@Kimberly – Thanks, darling! I know the stools are incredible, aren’t they! Hope you both and the fur babies are well! xx

• Reply Lisa October 11, 2017 at 4:35 am

love this! having just upgraded my kitchens handles – the choice was agonising. I can see you’re a perfectionist, just hope you’ve got those hexagonals on super tight! loving the lighter coloured island too. inspiring!

• Reply Horak October 11, 2017 at 6:03 am

Love it!

• Reply William October 11, 2017 at 8:13 am

OMG. This is literally a dream. This kitchen is to die for XD <3

• Reply Emily Quinton October 11, 2017 at 8:42 am

Oh I adore it all! You’ve made such a beautiful, stylish AND homely space. I can tell you will both make so many happy memories here. I am particularly in love with the taps and the lights! 😉 xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 8:55 am

@Emily – Thank you so much, lovely! We are so thrilled with it and can’t wait to spend time there. I adore the taps and lights, too, especially the flush mount pendant over the sink! x

• Reply Bemz Design October 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

Absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 1:37 pm

@Bemz – Thank you! Can’t wait to share my apt. living room makeover with your gorgeous slipcover!

• Reply Kim October 11, 2017 at 11:05 am

WOW! This is beautiful ! Amazing transformation. I’ve been following your renovation of the beach house too. So excited to see more rooms. Great job!👍👏

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 1:38 pm

@Kim – Thank you so much for following along! I can’t wait to share more spaces!

• Reply Uljana October 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm

WOW! what an amazing job! i love it!
    and also hats off to not giving up when everything seemed like a struggle. i moved so often in my life i lost count so i totally feel the excitement to finally stand in a place that truly feels like you.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 11, 2017 at 1:40 pm

@Uljiana – Right?! It feels so special when you finally can call a place Home.

• Reply Bri October 11, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I love what you did with the space! Especially, obsessed with the cabinetry colors and lighting fixtures 👌🏼

• Reply A Sweet and Elegant Beach House Kitchen Remodel October 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm

[…] beach cottage kitchen remodel from the home of Will (and his “heartmate”/husband) of Bright Bazaar. Such a perfectly designed […]

• Reply Sarah October 11, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I love brave colours! Deep blue and coppery gold remind me of all the best front doors – deep and shining and so intriguing you just want to know what’s behind them. The chairs are also wonderful, softening the whole look because they don’t bring any harsh silver metal to the scene, and the just offset the boldness of the colours to tie the whole thing together. Not only that, but they’re beachy! It reminds you you’re not in an inner city townhouse – it’s always important to remember your exterior location in your interiors.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 12, 2017 at 9:22 am

@Sarah – Yes! The bar stools are the perfect touch of texture to warm up the space while also giving a hint of the coastal locale. Thanks for the lovely comment!

• Reply Liduh October 12, 2017 at 12:44 am

This is lovely, congrats!
    Very beautiful colors.
    Liduh

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 12, 2017 at 9:22 am

@Liduh – Thank you very much! We are thrilled with how it came out!

• Reply Weekend Reading – drewloweryblog October 13, 2017 at 3:32 pm

[…] beach house kitchen is […]

• Reply Weekend Reading – Alyse Sturdivant – Blog October 13, 2017 at 6:20 pm

[…] beach house kitchen is […]

• Reply Weekend Reading – Christy Jesse – Blog October 13, 2017 at 7:09 pm

[…] beach house kitchen is […]

• Reply Weekend Reading. - The Stripe October 14, 2017 at 6:01 am

[…] drooling over Will’s beach house – first the kitchen, then the […]

• Reply Jennifer Murphy October 14, 2017 at 7:32 am

Love it all! May ask what yr budget was for this or did you work with Waterworks specifically. I love their tile and fixtures but was not aware of their cabinetry. Do you have a ballpark number? I would love to change out my kitchen out. Maybe you can help me redesign my beach kitchen!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 14, 2017 at 8:36 am

@Jennifer – Thank you so much! We bought the kitchen cabinetry from Waterworks and it was our biggest investment in the house, but I think it was worth it because it’s such a central part of the house. In terms of cost, it’s varies so much in terms of what style of cabinetry you choose, and the size of the space. Then, of course there’s the countertops, appliances, lighting, hardware, tiles etc. so there’s just a lot of elements that quickly add up! We managed to get a quick estimate from Waterworks for our cabinetry cost alone (excluding all the other kitchen design element as we bought those from elsewhere) so I’d highly recommend doing that so you can get a better understanding of how much it will cost in your specific space! 🙂

• Reply Christine October 14, 2017 at 8:24 am

This is my favorite NON-WHITE kitchen ever!!!!!! Can’t wait to check out the rest of your blog, as I am particularly interested in ideas for our master bath renovation. Absolutely gorgeous kitchen – I am blue with envy right now 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 14, 2017 at 8:37 am

@Christine – Oh goodness, wow! High praise! Thank you so much! All the best with your bath renovation, too – so exciting!

• Reply Jill October 14, 2017 at 9:24 am

Hey, I found this link on Centsational Style and so glad I opened it. I Love this kitchen. You have a new fan 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2017 at 5:01 pm

@Jill – Yay! Thank you so much for clicking over, I’m delighted to have you following along! 🙂

• Reply Necolle Eimas October 16, 2017 at 8:09 am

Will–I absolutely love your new kitchen. So glad that Emily Clark introduced me to your blog and I look forward to following your design inspiration. Can you share the paint color for your cabinets? The blue is such a rich and sophisticated tone.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 16, 2017 at 10:02 am

@Necolle – Thank you so much for the kind words and stopping by my blog! Sure thing: the cabinetry is Cosmos and the island is Decoy – both are colors from Waterworks.

• Reply Matthew October 18, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Absolutely lovely, Will!! <3
    Also, I'm glad you're feeling better!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 18, 2017 at 3:46 pm