BRIGHT.LIFE

Getting Back To Normal After Surgery

New York City autumnHappy Sunday! I’ve had such a lovely weekend and finally feel like I’m starting to feel more normal after a rough three weeks or so. Over on Instagram I’ve spoken a little about a surgery I had two weeks ago, but now that I’m back on my feet and feeling stronger I figured I’d bring you guys up to speed with what happened.

Three weeks ago I suddenly started to get intense pain down the entire right side of my face. It was a pain like no other I have ever experienced and it came in waves. I would be walking down the street absolutely fine one second and the next I would be doubled over in pain unable to move or talk. Fair to say that it was kinda scary. I ended up having a scan around my head which revealed the problem was coming from my jaw: a wisdom tooth hidden under the gum was growing into the jawbone and had completely crushed the root of the tooth next to it, as well as ruin the bone in that area. I had to have surgery where they removed the two teeth by cutting through the gum and drilling out the bone with the hidden wisdom tooth. As a precaution, they also removed two other wisdom teeth during the operation. Then, as they had to remove the bone around the hidden wisdom tooth, I had to have a bone graft in the hopes it will encourage the bone in my jaw to regenerate over the next three months. If it’s successful, I’ll be able to have an implant drilled into the jawbone and then three months after that they can place a tooth onto the implant. So if all goes well, there will be two more procedures over the next six months to get my right jaw back on track.

After the operation I could hardly open my mouth and I was unable to eat solid foods for a week, plus I was on a lot of medication so I was pretty much out of it and felt very weak. The good news is that I had a check up with the surgeon at the start of the week and he said I was recovering well – yay! I feel so fortunate to have received such incredible care and to have had my loving heart mate by my side throughout the whole process. Thanks to everyone who has sent such sweet and thoughtful messages asking how I am over the past two weeks, I really appreciated each and everyone. So, now that I’m on the mend I thought I’d share some of my highlights from my first weekend back in action. Let’s go!

1. Taking a walk through Central Park at golden hour as the autumn leaves start to turn into an abundance of color.dream decor book French edition2. Receiving copies of the French edition of my second book, Dream Decor – what a thrill! This now takes the total number of different language editions of my books around the world to eleven, which blows my mind. You can shop the English language edition here.Hans Wegner Papa Bear Chair3. My color-loving eye caught sight of this beautiful Hans Wegner Papa Bear Chair at my photoshoot with Esquire magazine and Three Olives vodka on Friday.club monaco ombre grey sweater4. To celebrate the French edition Dream Decor, I treated myself to this ombre sweater. I love it! Sorry for the grainy iPhone pic; it was a quick dressing room snap I did as a poll on IG Stories. Why is the quality so poor on pictures taken in-app?!New York City autumn5. OK, so this is a fall wreath done right – wow! If you want to make a smaller scale version one of your own, check out my DIY fall leaf wreath post!vintage danish pendant light6. Loooooved this vintage Danish 1920’s copper pendant but the price was prohibitively expensive. Alas, I admired it from afar!Snowe Home showroom store7. Snowe Home know how to give a good #shelfie. Loved exploring their gorgeous NYC showroom.New York City autumn8. When the colors of the leaves match the classic NYC cabs you know that autumn in New York City has arrived. Now, if only the temperatures would cool down and be more seasonal!bklyn clay9. I spent Saturday night at Bklyn Clay listening to Eric Landon of Tortus speak about his career while throwing pots to live music. I had such a blast and it was mesmerizing to watch him work.Concorde New York city tour10. The weekend of incredible experiences continued on Sunday morning as my heart mate and I took a tour of a British Airways Concorde jet. As a total #avgeek I loved every minute – if you’re quick you might be able to catch the highlights in my Instagram Story! Either way, if you are in NYC I highly recommend you check it out at the Intrepid Museum. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend! I’ll be back this week with lots of updates from the beach house renovation. I’m so excited to share them!

• Reply Liam McNally October 8, 2017 at 5:44 pm

As I was reading about your surgery, I thought it sounded a lot like an illness my friend has where the pain can just suddenly come on for no reason. She’s not had luck though in actually finding out the cause of her pain.

Good luck with the recovery.

Liam
    P.S. No way is that jumper ‘oversized’ haha.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 6:05 pm

@Liam – So sorry to read that your friend is still struggling with pain, I hope they get to the bottom of it soon. Thank you for your kind well wishes and I totally agree re: the sweater, I have no idea what the sales assistant was going on about?! Hahaha 😉

• Reply Carly A. Heitlinger October 8, 2017 at 5:48 pm

OMG. I had to have emergency surgery a month AFTER my wisdom teeth were removed….. worst. pain. ever. Hope your recovery is a BREEZE. xoxoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 6:06 pm

@Carly – Yikes, that sounds so horrible! Thanks for the sweet well wishes. xo

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 8, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re getting back on track, Will! That sounds absolutely dreadful, but your highlights have been lovely to read!

I hope you’ve had a great weekend,
    Michael

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

@Michael – So glad you enjoyed the highlights! It felt so good to be feeling well enough to head outside and get inspired again. Hope your weekend has been equally as lovely!

• Reply Jackie October 8, 2017 at 5:59 pm

So glad to hear that you’re feeling well! That sounds super scary, ugh. Glad you’re on the mend and had a great weekend. Congrats on your book in French! Can’t wait to see you and catch up soon! xoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

@Jackie – Thanks, friend! It was awful but fingers crossed over the worst of it. See you soon! xo

• Reply Tuan October 8, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Wow … You had that wisdom tooth problem too? I got my wisdom tooth removed two weeks ago as well, it was painful like OMG 🙂 I’m glad you feel better now! And you look good as always 🙂

• Reply Harry M. Fontenot III October 8, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Wow…what a fun and interesting weekend of activities! When I visit NYC I always take time to stroll through beautiful Central Park…what a treasure. Will, that was truly a scary ordeal…I’m so glad your recovery is going well. Hope this next week is a good one…take care.❤

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 8:09 pm

@Harry – I’m so glad you make time for Central Park when you visit the city. It’s one of my favorite aspects of living in NYC, I adore it. And, thanks re: the recovery and wishes for a great week. Same to you!

• Reply Eric October 8, 2017 at 7:51 pm

So happy to hear you’re feeling better; hope you enjoy a speedy and complete recovery. Thank you so much for sharing this story, and all the others. Would love to hear more about your inner #avgeek. 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 8:10 pm

@Eric – Thanks for taking the time to read and for stopping by, I truly appreciate the kind words. And as for being an #avgeek?! Well, I could talk planes and airports allllll day! 😉

• Reply Michael Toa October 8, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Hi Will! Wisdom tooth problem is no fun. So pleased to hear that you are feeling better and hope you are recovering nicely and not in too much pain anymore. Have a great week ahead x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 8, 2017 at 8:11 pm

@Michael – Thanks for understanding! Hoping you have a wonderful week ahead as well! 🙂 x

• Reply Aown Shah October 9, 2017 at 12:36 am

Will,
    I didn’t realize that you had this surgery. I’m glad to hear that you are on the mend. Your stories and posts inspire people and make them happy. I hope you realize that and we are thankful for your talents. All the best to you and hope the other surgeries go well.

Aown

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 9, 2017 at 8:38 am

@Aown – Thanks so much for all of your support and kind words, I’m so grateful. Have a great week!

• Reply Kat October 9, 2017 at 3:39 am

Loving the posts and very jealous of the Tortus workshop. Really hope you feel yourself soon. I can sympathise , as have been having wisdom teeth out this year. Peanut butter is your friend…

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 9, 2017 at 8:39 am

@Kat – The Tortus event was very inspiring and a wonderful way to spend a Saturday night. P.S. Thanks for the tip! 😉

• Reply Sue Bradley October 9, 2017 at 4:15 am

I hope you heal quickly Will. Best wishes from Gloucestershire! Sue

• Reply susan / fleurishing October 9, 2017 at 7:09 am

Oh my goodness Will, that sounds so painful and scary…I’m so sorry you had to go through that! Sending healing hugs, glad you’re on the mend. Congrats on your book in French, and I’m sorry I was unable to attend the Sézane event.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 9, 2017 at 8:39 am

@Susan – Thanks for the healing hugs and kind congratulations. Have a wonderful new week!

• Reply Libbynan October 9, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Will, so sorry about your ordeal. My wisdom teeth all came out in a fairly straightforward manner; but I had to have an emergency root canal back in April. Turns out diabetics don’t do root canals well. I swelled up like the Elephant Man for the best part of a week. But between pain killers and antibiotics, I wasn’t too conscious…..which was a good thing. Tomato soup is also your friend. I drank about a gallon. As always your pics are fab….thanks a bunch!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 9, 2017 at 1:44 pm

@libbynan – Sounds like you went through quite an ordeal, too. I’m sorry to read that and hope you are back to 100% now. Thanks for your kind words re: the pics, so glad you enjoyed them! 🙂

• Reply Libbynan October 10, 2017 at 9:53 am

Should have mentioned that the soup was mostly homemade from fresh tomatoes by friends whom I obviously don’t deserve.

• Reply Didier October 9, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Glad you’re doing better now will and I do hope that your jaw bone will fully heal! Congratulations once again on the french version of your book! (still obsessed with my english copy!). Love that $600 lamp but yea… a tad pricy for my taste. LOVE the sweater and OF COURSE it’s from Club Monaco 😛 Last but not least, I have always been a big fan of Wegner’s chairs, especially the wishbone one. I have to admit that the one you photographed is also gorgeous!

-Didier

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 9, 2017 at 5:08 pm

@Didier – Hey pal! Thanks for the kind words and the congratulations! Isn’t that sweater a beauty?! I am obsessed with it. Now, I just need the temps to cool down so that I can wear it. Haha. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! 🙂

• Reply @lovemombo October 10, 2017 at 11:33 am

Glad you are recovering well! That chair is beautiful, and I love the cushion on it – my sewing machine is calling!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 10, 2017 at 11:40 am

@Lovemombo – Thanks! And isn’t it gorgeous?! Glad you love it too.