Making Watercolour Homewares W/ Sprout by HP

Sprout-HP-computer-1My husband and I are total tech geeks so I was super excited when the folks over at HP invited me to partner with them to get creative with their new Sprout computer. With a clear and vibrant 23 inch touchscreen, overhead projector/scanner and dual view touchpad mat it felt like a futuristic and innovative experience to use. Given my love of colour, fashion and design, I set about creating two projects that used Sprout’s innovative features to make personalised items for my home and wardrobe.Sprout-HP-computer-2For the first project I was keen to see how I could use Sprout’s technology to take something physical and manipulate it digitally. At the start of this year I started to experiment with watercolour and I was keen to see what I could create with one of my mint-coloured paintings.Sprout-HP-computer-3I began by using Sprout’s overhead one touch capture technology to scan in my original watercolour. With the watercolour scanned in, I was then able to move the painting to the ‘mat’, which allowed me to see the painting on the big widescreen, as well as on the touchpad mat.Sprout-HP-computer-4With the pen tool stylus I was able to manipulate the painting and move it around to get it to the correct size. It felt really comfortable looking forwards (instead of leaning down and getting a sore neck!) while looking at my amends in real time on the screen in front of me.Sprout-HP-computer-5With my artwork saved, I then used a website online that allows you to personalise items (a quick internet search will bring up loads of sites that offer such services!). I decided to make a phone case using my mint watercolour, so I used the stylus to drag and drop the artwork to the right position for printing onto the case.Sprout-HP-computer-6I love seeing the phone case side-by-side with the original painting – technology never ceases to amaze me!Sprout-HP-computer-7I have to admit, I am thrilled with how it came out. Doesn’t it look great? The ideal phone case for long summer days!Sprout-HP-computer-8For my second project I used the Microsoft Fresh Paint app that was installed on Sprout to make an original piece of digital artwork. This time I wanted to see what it would be like to create a piece of art digitally and then turn it into something physical.Sprout-HP-computer-9The Fresh Paint app is incredibly versatile and dexterous – it really does feel like you are painting. You can create with everything from pencils to pens and oils to watercolour. I decided to make a nautical-inspired watercolour waves pattern with the aim of creating a new cushion for my couch.Sprout-HP-computer-10It was amazing how the stylus responded to the strength and speed of my ‘brush’ strokes. The slower I painted, the more intense the colour and the faster, the lighter it would be. This was how I managed to create the crests of the waves in the pattern I made. Pretty cool, right?! I’m thrilled with how it turned out – it fits into my blue and yellow office colour palette perfectly. What do you think of the designs I created using Sprout?Sprout-HP-computer-11

// Photography by Will Taylor | Posted in partnership with HP, all views my own

• Reply RYAN May 5, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I love that cushion design, it suits the room so well!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 5, 2015 at 4:32 pm

@Ryan – Thanks! I am really pleased with how it looks in the space as well!

• Reply The Kentucky gent May 5, 2015 at 4:50 pm

When I heard HP was releasing the Sprout via Bri at Design Love Fest, it definitely sounded like a dream come true. Getting to see you use it (in somewhat real time) makes me definitely want to try it out for myself. Your creativity never ceases to amaze 😉

Josh – The Kentucky Gent

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 5, 2015 at 4:57 pm

@Josh – It’s such an awesome piece of technology! Super excited to see it out in the UK now as well! Really cool options to create fashion pieces on it, too, I think! 🙂

• Reply Melissa Blake May 5, 2015 at 9:15 pm

OMG!!! That’s amazing!!!

• Reply Robbie May 5, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Shut up! That pillow is adorable!

• Reply Hester May 6, 2015 at 9:14 am

Wow! want one now 🙂 Amazing piece of technology

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 6, 2015 at 4:59 pm

@Hester – It really is an amazing product; helped me realise my creative visions!

• Reply Lizzie Owen May 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm

My inner geek and outer artist are all OVER this! Love your cushion and phone – turquoise and greens are my utter most fave colours, so am drawn to your designs – I hope you put a range together one day Will 🙂

• Reply Theresa @DearCreatives May 6, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I love the potential uses for the overhead one touch technology & w/ innovative apps or programs. This is one computer I’d love to test drive for sure. I really enjoyed seeing what you were able to make with using the Sprout. I bet it has lots of capability. I’ve been on the fence for purchasing a Mac Pro until I saw this. Now I’m a bit torn. lol

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 6, 2015 at 7:33 pm

@Theresa – I would 100% recommend trying out as I’ve never used anything with the creative capabilities quite like the Sprout! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Chris Taylor May 7, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Water colours can give you such a wide range of options when it comes to decorating. Its the first time I’ve seen the Sprout but I’m impressed.

• Reply Matthew Pike May 7, 2015 at 5:07 pm

This is impressive, I feel like this is a sign that the future is now!

• Reply Lindsey May 11, 2015 at 5:33 pm

How high-tech, I love it! And LOVE THAT PILLOW.