The New Bohemians Book by Justina Blakeney

The-New-Bohemians-Book-1Justina and I have known one another via our blogs since The Early Days as we both started blogging around the same time six years ago. Before the days of Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and so on, we would read and comment on one another’s daily blog posts and were finally able to meet in person two years ago in Los Angeles. Justina is as real as they get: the creative, supportive and go-get spirit you see, read and feel from her social media platforms is just the same in person. As I’m currently slap bang in the middle of shooting my next book I know just how much hard work (literally blood, sweat and tears!) books are to make – and The New Bohemians is a BIG book! – so major props to Justina and Dabito (the awesome photographer who shot my West Elm book tour stops last year) for creating a book full of original, beautiful, practical and inspiring content.The-New-Bohemians-Book-2Justina set out to document what it means (and looks like!) to live a bohemian lifestyle at home today via a range of ‘cool and collected’ homes. The book splits the various approaches to bohemian lifestyle into six styles – Modern, Earthy, Folksy, Nomadic, Romantic and Maximal. Given my love of pattern and hue, it was no surprise that the Maximal chapter inspired me the most; it also includes a tour of Justina’s LA home that she shares with her husband and daughter.The-New-Bohemians-Book-3Justina and I both share a love of colour, but I’ve always found her approach to be inspiring as it’s so different to my own. That’s one of the reasons I believe colour is so powerful – how personal it is, and how it has the ability to create different feelings, atmospheres and moods for each of us. Whenever I see Justina’s styling work or art I see colour in a new light and it inspires me to try new shades and combinations in my own home. For example, I have a well documented love affair with blue and yellow but wouldn’t immediately have thought to combine them in this way (above). This is just one example of how the book is FULL of great colour ideas.The-New-Bohemians-Book-4As well as a stunning line up of homes, there’s also a peppering of helpful ‘adopt an idea’ pages that breakdown spaces to make it easy to see how they can be replicated. Plus, you can get all crafty with stylish DIY projects such as driftwood wall sconces and Shibori dyed boxes. Fun!The-New-Bohemians-Book-5In essence, The New Bohemians is a knockout book that I truly think you will enjoy and appreciate having on your bookshelf. It’s available to pre-order now. Congratulations, J and Dab!The-New-Bohemians-Book-6

// Photography by Dabito, used with permission.

• Reply Jules April 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm

The book looks great…thanks for the heads up about this.

• Reply Susan April 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Wow this looks perfect inspo for a new project I am working on. Ordering now!! 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 8, 2015 at 4:34 pm

@Susan – You’re gonna love it, I know for sure! Good luck with your new project, too.

• Reply Monica April 8, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Wow, it’s so colorful and nice. It’s some kind of oriental, I think. I love this place.

• Reply The Kentucky gent April 8, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I’m a firm believer that all outdoor spaces should look like the one above – it’s gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this one Will!

Josh – The Kentucky Gent

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 8, 2015 at 6:32 pm

@Josh – Right? So freakin’ good. Glad you love the look of the book as much as I do!

• Reply Justina April 8, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Dear Mr. Bazzar, THANK YOU for this sweet write-up. I love how you approach the review from a color perspective–it was fun to see your take on our different styles 🙂 Sending love and thanks my dear friend!

• Reply Emma Jayne April 9, 2015 at 10:48 am

So much colour and the I love this bohemian style! It’s one of the SS2015 fashion trends too 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Emma Jayne x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 9, 2015 at 11:00 am

@Emma Jayne – That doesn’t surprise me because it’s such an “in” look right now!

• Reply mary beth April 9, 2015 at 11:27 am

Another book for inspiration! Thanks Will, it looks beautiful.

• Reply The Office stylist April 9, 2015 at 10:35 pm

This is so sweet! You guys are both so inspirational. Can’t wait to see what else you have in store.

The Office Stylist

• Reply Mathew April 10, 2015 at 10:14 am

I love that colorful armchair.

• Reply Karolina April 11, 2015 at 8:05 am

I came across Justyna quite recently (I’m behind all this blogging stuff) and I was immediately drawn to her style and how she uses and embraces colour. I’m definitely will be getting her book soon!

• Reply Poppy April 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I just pre-ordered the book! Yay! I’ve been following her blog for a while and she’s so inspiring, as are you, Will! I can’t wait to snazz up the homestead with color, texture and plants. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

@Poppy – Yay, you made an excellent call there! Enjoy the book and thanks for the kind words! 🙂

• Reply Alison February 18, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This book looks awesome! I am loving that outdoor space!

• Reply New Bohemian Outtakes | The Jungalow March 9, 2016 at 6:09 pm

[…] Mr. Will Taylor did a really nice write-up of his favorite aspects of the book over on his blog, Bright Bazaar. And to hear more about how the book is divided up into different New Bohemian styles, click on […]