Palette Addict: Mint Green Kitchen Splashback

mint-subway-tiles-kitchen-splashback

As the seasons change and the days draw longer I’m forever guilty of continually dreaming about an escape to a beachside home that’s been decorated in a cool palette of milky white hues punctuated with refreshing accent colours. The mint green splashback in this kitchen is reflective of that dream: I’d love to walk into this space, kick off my flip flops and brush the sand off from between my toes, before heading over to the fridge and enjoying a cooling glass of fresh lemonade. OK, so this dream might be a long shot but there’s no denying the understated beauty of this kitchen’s design. The introduction of the mint hue in the splashback is a great example of how to invite colour into a pared-back palette without straying too far into an overtly bright scheme. The result is a scheme that still feels light and airy but with a gentle change in shade and colour that creates a much more interesting space than an all-white palette. Do you have any mint green accents in your home? Are you mad about mint, too?!

// Photography by Aimée Herring © Filipacchi Publishing | via

• Reply Juliane at Modern Mural May 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

Beautiful kitchen! Mint is my newest favorite. It’s slowly taking over my wardrobe. I love how clean it feels, but I like to perk it up with some pink or yellow. Maybe it’s just springtime taking over.

• Reply Michelle May 7, 2013 at 2:17 am

i’ve bought mint green skinny jeans but not anything for the house … yet! Im trying to decide between tiles vs glass splashback for my kitchen at the moment … so many decisions to make!

• Reply chichi furniture May 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

Beautiful kitchen, I agree with what you say (apart from sand bit – I hate sand!) This colour gives the kitchen a subtle lift – too white could be a bit sterile. It also opens the door to maybe a few items of kitchen furniture in pastel shades too. Lovely

• Reply tors (girl, meets wolf) May 7, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love mint, I’ve just posted all my downstairs internal doors a mint green colour (it was actually supposed to be duck egg blue but they’ve come out far more mint green and I’m so happy they did!). It’s such a lovely fresh colour, so cheery!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

@Tors – Loving the sound of your painted doors – the perfect spring update!

• Reply Inge @ simply fabulous chic May 7, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh my… the dream you’re having: I could already picture it myself too Will! And I can already picture it how you would decorate it too, just by reading your blog here.. 🙂 A lovely kitchen is this too by the way!

About the mint green: I had this mint coloured walls in my hallway and painted them all white a few months ago since it never got a fresh coat of paint since the previous home owners painted it (like forever.. LOL!). And I have to admit I love mint but I don’t have it anywhere else in my home just yet. Would love some mint green accents for this summer though! Maybe some cool minty coloured plates and glasses for cocktails and a BBQ this summer on our patio outside!

I did get a lot of minty green accessories and tops (and shoes) for summer though… 😉

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

@Inge – I agree that mint is a great hue for summer and would be work well in tabletop pieces for your next BBQ!

• Reply tim@designmaze May 7, 2013 at 1:28 pm

love it Will! Funny this is the exact color palette I am planning for ProjectBalcony! Navy + white with Mint! What a refreshing palette and now I just have to make sure I don’t give my own kitchen a facelift 🙂

here is minty find over the weekend. love this table and it’s going to ProjectBalcony!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 7, 2013 at 1:30 pm

@Tim – I know you won’t be able to resist a kitchen makeover for long! 😉 Can’t wait to see the result of ProjectBalcony!

• Reply Serena May 7, 2013 at 1:40 pm

It’ so fresh!

• Reply susan May 7, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I am mad for mint!

• Reply kate May 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm

This is a brilliant idea!! I have just painted mint green walls and used white tiles but this way seems much cooler and gives a far fresher feel. If only I had seen it before, an idea for the future though!

• Reply Nicole May 8, 2013 at 1:45 am

SO pretty! I love mint!

• Reply aletta vandenberg June 11, 2013 at 9:47 am

hi thinking about redoing our kitchen – – we already have mint green walls – but going to change it to cream to blend in with the Antique White new cupboards when we get them.
    We also have a fair bit of green in the house – and cream.

I do love this particular splashback – thinking of having black benchtop – Larvik – Durapol… and antique white cupboards.
    and depending on how the floor comes out then going for either floorboards, or a slate vinyl –
    what are your thoughts…… happy to hear some.
    Aletta