Spring Refresh In Our Beach House Bedroom

beach house bedroom designAs we spent all of last summer renovating the beach house we didn’t actually get to spend anytime living out East during the good weather! By the time the renovations were completed – or, I should say, habitable, after all, is a renovation ever truly finished?! – it was fall and so we decorated some of the rooms with a darker, cozier vibe. It was ideal for the first six months or so but to be honest we were craving a fresh, relaxing vibe that would feel like a weekend tonic from city life in NYC. So, we decided to refresh the master bedroom with a cooler, cleaner palette in time for the upcoming spring summer season. Today, I’m giving you guys a tour of the new look beach house bedroom design. Let’s go!beach house bedroom designWe knew that we wanted the beach house bedroom design refresh to have a modern beachy feel. At the same time we knew that we wanted to keep some of the original pieces in the space, included the gorgeous black dresser and vintage mirror (love!), both from One Kings Lane. We used these black moments as the jumping off point for our modern details we added additional black notes throughout the space but in more modern applications. For example, a black metal bookcase and metal feet for the bed. Subtle touches like these played into a more modern vibe and helped to give the room a fresh feel. That, and the additional of this stunning and oh-so-beachy bedding by one of my favorite designers, Rebecca Atwood.beach house bedroom designLet me tell you, when I first set eyes on the Foshay bookcase it was love at first sight. I love how the piece has a structured yet not totally symmetrical look. I’m one of those decorating weirdos that can spend hours restyling my bookcases and shelves without ever getting bored – so sue me! 😉 Anyway, this is one of my favorite pieces of furniture in the house and I just love the natural steel. The black plays off the blue palette so well; I feel like it gives the space some edge and spark -a sense of sophistication against the more playful pieces. Speaking of playful, how fun are the Early Bird, Night Owl embroidered pillowcases?! LOVE! These make me smile every time I see them. Plus, they are a dream to lay your head on at night. Win, win!beach house bedroom designI layered the bed in a series of soft blue tones – you know I love my blues! For this space I wanted to keep the palette calm and cool but still colorful, and so the watercolor stripe duvet cover and reversible coverlet were the perfect pair. Rebecca’s beautiful Dot-Dash throw pillow was exactly the accent piece I needed to inject a jolt of brighter blue into the room. Not too much but enough to bring life and energy to the primarily softer shades. It’s always those small details that make all the difference in a room, right?beach house bedroom designThe Alden bedside tables are from Room & Board, and I’m fully obsessed. They are actually the larger version of the ones we have in our apartment bedroom in the city, in a darker charcoal stain, too. They work so well with the existing pieces we had in the space, especially the chest and vintage mirror. Also, I love how the concrete JWDA lamps from Menu look on them.beach house bedroom designWe chose to have the Ella bed upholstered in a simple white fabric to help it bend into the natural light that floods in through the windows behind. Luckily, it paid off! I love how all the blues look layered against the white, especially the euro shams.beach house bedroom designI shared the arrival of my Rod + Weave chair on Instagram Stories and you guys went wild for it! Doesn’t it look so handsome in the space?! It’s the perfect reading nook for sitting in and researching advice on how to keep fig leaf trees alive! On that note, do you guys have any tips for me?! Thanks for reading, everyone. Hope you all enjoyed the tour of our beach house bedroom design refresh. Come on, spring, we’re ready for you!beach house bedroom design// Photography and styling by Will Taylor

• Reply ZaraH March 13, 2018 at 7:34 am

Wow, great job, Will! The room feels so comfy and so summer-like & breeze-filled!!
    Love the bedding and your Rod+Weave Chair. And a cozy little nook by the small window, so charm! 🙂
    …me too, having some problems with my fig tree. Though I planted it into a soil good for citrus (as per professional advice) and give it lots of showering… still it doesn’t grow at all for about 4 years already 🙁
    A mystery to be resolved! 🙂
    Cheerz!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 9:33 am

@Zara – So love that you described the space as feeling ‘breeze filled’, thank you! I’ve read about using speciality soil online and the reviews are mixed – it’s hard to know what’s best! Eeeek! Fingers crossed I can look after her.

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses March 13, 2018 at 8:42 am

This looks so fresh and beautiful! Perfect for Spring! I love your design style so much, Will!

Happy Tuesday!
    Michael

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 9:34 am

@Michael – Awwww thank you so much! Always appreciate your support. Hope you are settling back into everyday life well after your holiday! 🙂 Hugs from NYC!

• Reply Kelsey March 13, 2018 at 9:21 am

The pillowcases! So cute! xo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 9:34 am

@Kelsey – Right?! Rebecca’s designs are so beautiful! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Dan March 13, 2018 at 9:22 am

The space looks so clam and clean! I feel chill just looking at the pictures! Nice job Will!

• Reply Xanthe March 13, 2018 at 9:24 am

I have had a fig leaf tree for a few years and they are tempremental so don’t take it personally 😉 the best advice I have is not freak out and over water them especially if you just got the plant good luck!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 10:36 am

@Xanthe – Haha, I will try not to! Thanks for the tip because TBH I am freaking out a little bit about it!

• Reply Arielle Havas March 13, 2018 at 9:29 am

The little pillow on the bed is cute! I love how you decorated this whole room, it’s so inviting and bright! And I love your photographs! 🙂 xoxo

• Reply Rebecca March 13, 2018 at 10:27 am

Will! Thank you so much. This bedroom is so dreamy and I’m so glad to have our bedding in your space. Thank you again!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 10:37 am

@Rebecca – No, thank you! Your bedding is so perfect for the beach house bedroom – we LOVE how it looks and feels!

• Reply Grace Atwood March 13, 2018 at 11:01 am

OH MY GOD WILL IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! Love this!!!!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 11:07 am

@Grace – Awwww yay! Thank you so much! Becca’s bedding is DIVINE and we feel so lucky to have it in our bedroom! 🙂

• Reply Michelle March 13, 2018 at 11:16 am

Such a beautiful space! What’s your trick to keep the mirror from sliding on the dresser? I’ve tried this before with disastrous results.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 11:49 am

@Michelle – Thank you! We put two small nails into the wall that the top of the mirror can ‘lean’ onto and stop it from slipping. Good luck!

• Reply Amanda @ Life with A.Co March 13, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Will–this. is. gorgeous. !!! WOW. I love the brightness and it totally screams beach house. Just stunning. I especially like how you styled the shelving piece–very beautiful. Off to devour a few more posts on the beach house.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 13, 2018 at 3:50 pm

@Amanda – Thank you so much! Isn’t that shelving unit the best? I had so much fun styling it and love how it brings a lived-in vibe to the bedroom that encourages us to hang out in there and read/chill etc. vs. just use the room for sleeping.

• Reply Hillory March 13, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Omg how cute is this room?! Love all of the colours and the details so much. Looks so amazing!!

xo,

H

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 15, 2018 at 9:30 am

@Hillory – Awwww thank you so much! I love how relaxing this space feels! Xo

• Reply Eena March 13, 2018 at 9:49 pm

HOLY AMAZEBALLS. I love everything in this post. I’m absolutely in love with the bedding – my favorite shades of blue all in one setting! Count me in! I honestly feel like IKEA should hire you to design their space ;D

☼ cabin twenty-four

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 15, 2018 at 9:30 am

@Eena – Oh my gosh, thank you! That would be such a dream because I love IKEA! 🙂

• Reply James March 14, 2018 at 3:12 am

Well this is nothing but dreamy! I love the combination of blue and white it looks so fresh yet still cozy.

James

• Reply Peri Hardiansyah March 17, 2018 at 12:27 am

It give feeling like i’m more and more and more younger. Great colours combination there. True, it’s very elegant and fresh. I’ll try this at my room today. Thanks for sharing bruu

• Reply carolyn April 1, 2018 at 5:34 am

Your beach house is perfect and you are blessed to have such a lovely place to get away from things.