Bedroom Makeover: The Reveal

gray bedroom decor inspirationDuring my eight years or so of blogging, I’ve written numerous times about the importance of feeling at home, while at home. This is our second apartment in NYC and while we loved our first year in the brownstone apartment, it wasn’t until we moved into our new apartment that, well, that sometimes elusive feeling (the X Factor?!) of being truly at home in our apartment, finally arrived. There’s a softness to the natural light in this space that I find very calming. In fact, it was this that partly inspired my decision to choose a gray paint color (remember how I was torn between two colors?!) for the bedroom walls. The gentle light pairs effortlessly with the Gray Frost PPG Paints color, don’t you think? I truly love how this room has come together and I’m excited to share a full tour of the master bedroom with the before and after. Click through to take the tour for some gray bedroom decor inspiration!

gray bedroom decor inspirationLast month, I shared my paint and decor plans for the bedroom. Before I dive into the full reveal and gray bedroom decor inspiration in my second post in partnership with PPG Paints, I thought it would be useful to share some painting tips for that perfect straight line. As you can see from the top image in the post, I decided not to paint Gray Frost all the way to the ceiling. This was because I wanted to use the color on all four of the bedroom walls, so to keep the space feeling airy and fresh I left around one foot of white wall from the ceiling down. Taking this painting approach (vs. painting straight up to the ceiling line) does take more time but I think it’s 100% worth it, especially in smaller spaces. My top tip for making any painting makeover or project look professional is prep, prep, prep. If you invest the time upfront to ensure everything is properly prepared and ready for the actual paint – think: washing the walls of any grease; taping drop sheets to the baseboard and floor; gathering your arsenal of painting tools and brushes in advance, and so on – then you will speed through the painting part and have a new look space in no time at all! For the straight line, I used a compact self-leveling laser line tool, which you place on a flat surface or tripod at the desired height to project a perfectly straight line onto the surface you wish you paint. It’s then super easy to stick painter’s tape along the line on the wall so that you get that perfectly straight line when you peel back the tape. Remember to slightly dampen the tape once you’ve applied it (this helps to prevent paint seeping underneath), and to peel the tape off the moment you finish painting (and before it dries) – this helps minimize the opportunity for tears in the paint along the line.gray bedroom decor inspirationThe result of the white ‘banner’ around the top of the room serves two purposes: firstly, it helps to reflect light at the top of the room, visually raising the ceiling; secondly, it gives added impact to the Gray Frost painted walls below, encouraging the eye to be drawn down into the room, and therefore making the bedroom feel more intimate in the process. And, here it is! Ta-da! I love stepping out of bed onto the reindeer hide rug, it’s so soft and comforting..gray bedroom decor inspirationI joked over on Instagram how I was sweating the details of the space so that they perfectly paired with the Gray Frost color of the room. Well, I’m pleased I did because this has turned out to be my favorite bedroom I’ve ever decorated – I love it so much! My aim was to create a serene and cocooning space that still felt fresh and not imposing, and it really does tick all those boxes. The Princeton plug-in sconces are the perfect nightstand lights, as the antique black finish and cord are a subtle reference point to the Petra Ebony fabric that was used to upholster the Ella bed.gray bedroom decor inspirationI dressed the nightstands with pieces that reflect my love of Scandinavian forests: a gorgeous Gran tray (remember how I used the same print as wallpaper in one of my old London apartments many, many years ago?!) and a reindeer candleholder. The gorgeous misty forest print adds the splash of mountain pine blue-green accent color I was looking for in the space, while the graphic black and white stripes of the Zebra print from Minted add a splash of pattern. I introduced texture with a few silver birch branches in the corner to complete this vignette.gray bedroom decor inspirationI love the subtle forest reference created by the upside down ‘V’ shapes in the Northern Flow 2 print next to the left-hand nightstand. I dressed the bed in washed gray linen bedding and repeated the upside down ‘V’ pattern on a smaller scale in two Euro shams from West Elm. The gray-green color of the Sanela curtains was the perfect final splash of accent color in the space. Love!gray bedroom decor inspirationFinally, I hung a trio of prints – Apache Jack, Dark Fog and As You Are – to create a small monochrome gallery wall as a way to disguise the wall-mounted television. I choose the monochrome palette to both contrast with the Gray Frost paint color, and harmonize with the black and white casing of TV to make it ‘disappear.’ I hope you have found some gray bedroom decor inspiration within the post?! What’s catching your eye from my gray and green bedroom scheme? You can find your nearest PPG store here and you can use this coupon to get $10 off any paint purchases over $25!gray bedroom decor inspiration// Art direction, styling and photography by Will Taylor | Posted in partnership with PPG Paints; all views my own.

• Reply Karine KONG December 9, 2016 at 1:56 am

This is gorgeous Will, I love the grey you chose and the photo above your bed is beautiful, moody and very soothing

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 2:52 am

@Karine – Thank you so much! Thrilled that you like it as your eye for decor is one I greatly admire. πŸ™‚

• Reply Lori December 9, 2016 at 6:37 am

This looks gorgeous! Love the colour and the white border giving the illusion of space too! x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 10:46 am

@Lori – Yay! Glad you like the paint choice! Isn’t that boarder at the top so great?! Really helps to maximize the natural light! x

• Reply Jackie (York Avenue) December 9, 2016 at 9:55 am

I love it so much Will! You did an amazing job creating a gray space that’s monochromatic but still feels cozy and warm. I’m in love! Meanwhile I’m over here, too lazy to paint the walls of my rental even though I’ve lived here for six years. Haha.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

@Jackie – Thank you very much! I had a blast working on this space and it feels so relaxing to be in it now. Love the Scandinavian feel! You should totally paint in your place – let’s have a painting party! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jenna December 9, 2016 at 10:41 am

Don’t know where to start….love every last detail Will!! The color, the art, the lights! Wow!! You are a talent!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

@Jenna – Gosh! So kind of you to say, thank you! I am obsessed with the sconces from Schoolhouse!

• Reply Brandon December 9, 2016 at 10:42 am

Killer space man. Love what you did with that painted line at the top

• Reply Chrissy December 9, 2016 at 10:44 am

Beautiful Will! The gray frost color you chose goes very well with the art and sconces. The windows look huge, was it expensive to dress them? I am in a rental and decorating my living room which is similar with big windows. Worried about how much the drapes will be.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 12:21 pm

@Chrissy – Right? A decor marriage made in heaven! Yes, the windows are super big – almost one whole wall, in fact – but I lucked out and found these amazing curtains from IKEA (linked in the post) which were only like $100 or so. I bought two packs so there are two drapes on either side as the window is so big, but it totally works!

• Reply Bradford December 9, 2016 at 11:52 am

It’s just beautiful, Will! Well done! πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 12:27 pm

@Bradford – Really kind of you to say, Bradford, thank you! Hope you are keeping well and Seattle is as beautiful as ever!

• Reply carrie December 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm

It looks great, Will! Love reading your tips and thoughts too.

Carrie

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 12:27 pm

@Carrie – So pleased you found them useful, I really loved working on this makeover! Have a great weekend!

• Reply Eleni | My Paradissi December 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Most gorgeous shades Will! Just love how soothing and cozy it feels ^^

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 12:28 pm

@Eleni – Isn’t that gray frost color just beautiful? It gave me so much inspiration for all the other elements that I brought into the space. Thanks for your kind words!

• Reply Kate Loudoun-shand December 9, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Adore how cool but not cold this room is, headboard fabric is delicious !!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2016 at 1:42 pm

@Kate – Love that you said that as it was my aim with the space! Thank you! πŸ™‚ The upholstered headboard feels so luxe and comfortable – I love it!

• Reply Lindsey December 9, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Holy cow Will! This is incredible!! I see a BB boutique hotel down the line πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2016 at 1:33 am

@Lindsey – So kind of you to say, thank you! Beyond thrilled with how this space came together!

• Reply nichole December 9, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Brilliant! Totally stealing the idea to disguise the tv in the bedroom. Thanks, man!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2016 at 1:34 am

@Nichole – Right?! I literally forget that there’s a TV on the wall!

• Reply Tristan December 9, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Absolutely amazing! I’m sensing a makeover of my own, every single detail is perfect

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2016 at 1:35 am

@Tristan – Yay! Glad it has inspired you to decorate as well! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jenn Lake December 9, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Absolutely amazing! That white banner feature is perfection!

• Reply Kimberly Duran December 10, 2016 at 4:13 am

Ahhh it’s beautiful! Grey can sometimes read a bit ‘cold’ but this is anything but – it’s so warm and inviting. I love those wall lamps and the art your chose too. Also, I totally had to scroll up to notice you had a wall-mounted TV there! The gallery wall totally did the trick because I didn’t even notice it at first! πŸ˜‰ xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 11, 2016 at 12:36 am

@Kimberly – Thank you so much, lovely! Really thrilled with this space, it’s such a sanctuary! πŸ™‚ xx

• Reply Weekend Reading. - The Stripe December 10, 2016 at 6:01 am

[…] How gorgeous is Will’s bedroom makeover!? […]

• Reply Weekend Reading. - AmandoBlogs.comAmandoBlogs.com December 10, 2016 at 8:14 am

[…] How gorgeous is Will’s bedroom makeover!? […]

• Reply Kevin December 11, 2016 at 11:03 am

I seriously can’t get over how amazing this looks! Nice work as usual Will πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 11, 2016 at 11:53 pm

@Kevin – Really kind of you to say, thank you! Hope you had a lovely weekend! πŸ™‚

• Reply Didier December 12, 2016 at 9:43 am

I am obsessed with how your bedroom looks now! Your apartment must be a dream to photograph!!!

-Didier

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 12, 2016 at 2:47 pm

@Didier – Yay! So happy you like it, thank you! The light and color combination sure do make for beautiful photographs in this space!

• Reply Paula December 12, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Absolutely ?LOVE? the color. A little bummed because the coupon link in your article expired November 2016. Wanted to try to fit the paint purchase in now.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 13, 2016 at 6:11 pm

@Paula – Thanks for the kind words about the color, I’m glad you love it as much as I do! I’m sorry to hear it has expired. Let me see if I can contact them for a new one!

• Reply Ursula December 13, 2016 at 1:12 am

Saw your tweet and had to see the makeover of your bedroom! I have dark furniture too and this cook grey looks amazing! Lastly I am diy’er and slowly updating my home πŸ˜‰
    Ursula /. If you get a chance you can view my blog here πŸ™‚ http://kraftmint.com ?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 13, 2016 at 6:12 pm

@Ursula – Thanks for stopping by to see the makeover, I’m glad you found it inspiring! Just checked out your DIYs and they look AMAZING! πŸ™‚

• Reply Dian December 13, 2016 at 6:24 pm

You’re right, the bedroom colour scheme is very soothing. Everything came together really nicely. Thanks for all the tips!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 13, 2016 at 6:41 pm

@Dian – I’m glad you think that the space is soothing as well, and that the tips were useful. Thank you for stopping by!

• Reply Sara December 13, 2016 at 10:49 pm

GORGEOUS!!! Where is the bed from and where are the hides on the floor from? Amazing

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 14, 2016 at 10:51 pm

@Sara – Thanks so much! The bed is from Room & Board and the hides are from CB2. Everything is linked above in the post, if that helps! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jordan Bunker December 14, 2016 at 1:57 pm

You’ve done a great job with the new bedroom Will! I’m currently redecorating my room, but I’m actually going away from grey and to white. My room lacks light, so all white walls is hopefully going to optimise the light that does manage to enter the space. I think I’m going to have to pick up some grey bedding and a throw to introduce some colour.

Jordan Bunker | Men’s Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 14, 2016 at 10:50 pm

@Jordan – Thank you, man! Your bedroom makeover sounds great, love the idea of the grey bedding. Can’t wait to see it.

• Reply custom roller blinds - EWF December 22, 2016 at 1:14 am

You are great man, absolutely Good work. You give it a unique look and which I like much are two wood poll standing in corner.

• Reply ora January 5, 2017 at 8:34 pm

I just love your wall art !

• Reply 10 STRIPED WALLPAPER DESIGN IDEAS | January 27, 2017 at 7:47 pm

[…] different wallpapers that offer striped wallpaper design ideas for every room in the house. Given my recent bedroom makeover it will likely be no surprise to read that I’m totally digging light, Scandinavian colors right […]

• Reply Simona February 24, 2017 at 2:36 am

Perfect! Just what i was looking for while planning my makeover πŸ™‚ Thanks!

• Reply Annie April 6, 2017 at 11:23 am

I love it so much! This is perfect bedroom. It brings to mind cold, but refreshing morning air. It’s absolutely gorgeous. I checked out your post about colours dilemma – I think you choose best option. I also love TV idea πŸ˜€ It seems that’s nothings there.

• Reply curtains Point Cook September 13, 2017 at 10:52 am

Absolutely amazing all in one photography and presentation brilliant.