The Perfect Small Space Sofa – And How To Style It

small space sofaHaving spent my entire adult life living in two cities renowned for tiny apartments (London first, and now NYC) I’m always game to hear of small space style solutions. So when South Shore Furniture asked me to work with them to style one of their 2-seater Live-It sofas, I was immediately game. The Live-It sofa is the perfect small space sofa solution because it’s not only compact (yet super comfortable!) when built, but it also comes in a staircase and doorway friendly box. AKA you can actually get it up and into your apartment without having to take everything out individually at the store/on the sidewalk. Score! We’re off to a great start. Even better is that it’s literally the easiest piece of flatpack furniture I’ve ever built. And trust me when I say I’ve built a lot of flat pack furniture! The small space sofa comes in five pieces and slots together with ease. Don’t believe me?! Watch me build the sofa single-handedly below:

See! Super easy! small space sofaI opted to style the blue velvet 2-seater Live-it sofa as I liked the idea of styling around a bold, statement-making sofa such as this. I love the way natural light plays off the velvet, making the piece feel almost ‘alive’ as it changes throughout the day. I dressed the sofa in graphic printed pillows to add a sense of shape and form. I love how these pair with the richness of the velvet.small space sofaAs well as the graphic pillows, I also layered in a series of gold and brass metallic elements through the side table and floor lamp. These are the perfect accents to the blue velvet because they compliment the richness of the color rather than competing with it. For the gallery wall I included one hero piece that sung from the same hymn sheet as the sofa, then subtly referenced it in another small piece. I used the rest of the gallery wall space to add some textural touches and a metallic piece to link in the lamp and side table. Another feature of this small space sofa that makes it ideal for tiny apartments is that it has built in storage. Yep, a sofa with storage! The side of the sofa has this handy pocket that you can store magazines, the remote, chargers etc. leave your side table and surrounding areas clutter free. Hurrah! P.S. You can get 10% off full-price South Shore Furniture products with the code: ‘WOWSS10WITAYLOR!’.small space sofa// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses January 12, 2018 at 8:26 am

That sofa is gorgeous! Thanks for the styling tips, Will! I absolutely love your work!

I hope you’re having a great Friday!
    Michael

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 12, 2018 at 12:52 pm

@Michael – Of course! Thanks for reading, I’m so glad you found them useful. Have a great weekend! 🙂

• Reply Jess January 12, 2018 at 12:50 pm

I love the sped up video Will!! You are so creative!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm

@Jess – Yay! So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for watching and stopping by the blog.

• Reply Dina Gregory January 12, 2018 at 12:51 pm

The color of that couch is stunning. I love how you used the gold touches as well. Enjoy Palm Springs (I’m following your Instagram Story).

• Reply Karl January 12, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Nice job Will… the little couch is cute AF.

• Reply Suzi (The Pillow Studio) January 12, 2018 at 12:58 pm

That is a perfect pillow pair for this sofa! Well done.

• Reply CJ Queen January 13, 2018 at 10:27 am

Great texture combinations

• Reply Didier January 15, 2018 at 10:13 am

The colour of the sofa is to die for! You seriously have such a great eye for interior design Will! When I finally get a new place that needs decorating, I hope you know that you’ll be receiving constant questions from me!

-Didier

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 16, 2018 at 3:36 pm

@Didier – That would be so fun! I would love to help you design a space because your eye is amazing!

• Reply Harnoor Kaur January 16, 2018 at 8:32 am

I loved how well you played with colors and spaces, complementing each other!

• Reply Jenn Lake January 16, 2018 at 6:56 pm

LOVE the color you guys chose for the couch, and that video was so fun!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 16, 2018 at 7:16 pm

@Jenn – It was so fun to style this space and make the video. Thanks for watching!

• Reply liz January 16, 2018 at 7:49 pm

love the idea of the sofa I need the 3 seater and doesnt come in blue – bummer. Do you find that it is comfortable i was going to get an ikea because I need to assemble in the room – do you think this is more comfortable?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 16, 2018 at 8:52 pm

@Liz – Yes, it’s very comfortable. I’ve had a lot of IKEA sofas over the years and love those, too. This is one of the easiest and quickest flatpack sofas I’ve ever built, though.

• Reply Joseph Kwan January 17, 2018 at 2:10 am

I was wondering what you used to hang your frames?

• Reply Mary January 17, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Absolutely love that sofa! Its a perfect size, a bold, beautiful colour, and a soft elegant texture. The golds around it really bring out the shimmer of the velvet, and the graphic pillows offer a perfect pop to the space. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 18, 2018 at 9:07 am

@Mary – I’m so glad you love it too! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Reply Weekend Reading. - The Stripe January 20, 2018 at 10:29 am

[…] Will found the perfect small space sofa. […]

• Reply Lacey January 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Couch is great! But the side table is what my eyes are drawn to as I’ve been looking for a small but stylish side table for my space. Do you mind sharing where you got that?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 22, 2018 at 2:59 pm

@Lacey – Thanks! And sure thing, it was from Target.

• Reply Lacey January 22, 2018 at 10:14 pm

That’s the best news I’ve heard all day! Love good design that comes with a good deal. Thanks for sharing. Your design is inspiring!

• Reply Dawn January 25, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Gorgeous sofa. New reader, first time commenting.

Any chance you can share the details for that painting on the floor to the left?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 26, 2018 at 8:46 am

@Dawn – Thanks for reading and stopping by! Sure, the painting is from One Kings Lane!

• Reply Natalia January 30, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Your styling is gorgeous – that sofa is super cute and I love the gold-framed geometric print too!

• Reply Varsha @ Kelambakkam February 1, 2018 at 2:47 am

Perfect sofa for a small apartment. I recently purchased a 2 BHK flat, and I think this would be perfect for my not-so-spacious living room. I love the colour, Will. Thanks for posting it:)

• Reply Matthew Pike February 14, 2018 at 4:46 am

I’m always interesting to see what soloutions people come up with for tiny spaces. Great work.

Buckets & Spades Blog

• Reply Elizabeth February 25, 2018 at 3:27 am

All it’s perfect!

• Reply Alicia March 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I love your choice to use accent pillows that have such visual contrast with the simple hue of the sofa. That level of visual appeal really draws the eye and brings out such a beautiful design motif for the home.