BRIGHT.STYLE

Bright.Style: How To Wear Polka Dots

Boden-menswear-1Last fall I couldn’t get enough of my polka dot shirt from Boden. The good news? It’s proving to be a staple piece in my spring wardrobe, too. For the latest post in my Bright.Style column, I wanted to show how easy it can be to layer various blue and navy shades with polka dots in a smart causal outfit.Boden-menswear-2For this preppy look I decided to play on repetition with one of my favourite patterns – the polka dot. I built the outfit out from the shirt and then layered in the pink polka dot tie.Boden-menswear-3It pays style dividends to layer pattern on pattern and by switching out the colour in the tie for a hot pink it adds a splash of unexpected bright colour to the outfit. The motto here: a little goes a long way! This is because a polka dot is a busy, commanding pattern so only a little splash of accent colour is needed otherwise it would compete for attention with the polka dots, rather than adding to the overall look.Boden-menswear-4The quilted jacket adds structure to the look and helps to give a casual vibe to the shirt and tie combo underneath. I am obsessed with this jacket – it’s super comfortable, keeps out those chilly spring breezes and is versatile enough to work with many different outfits.Boden-menswear-5The shoes! We have to discuss these shoes. This is my go-to pair for when I need a smart casual look. Sometimes formal shoes can feel kinda tight and uncomfortable, so like how these feel so easy on the feet. Plus, the contrast with the blue and navy colours of the outfit works so well. What do you like about this outfit? Do you/how do you wear polka dots?Boden-menswear-6

SHOP THE OUTFIT: JACKET | SHIRT | TIE | BELT | JEANS | SOCKS | SHOES

• Reply Jake April 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Hello handsome. Love this look on you Will.

• Reply Emma April 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

This is how I wish my husband would dress! 😉 sending him the link….!!

• Reply The Kentucky gent April 23, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Looking quite handsome in polka dots Will. Glad to see your moving the trend into Spring 😉

Josh – The Kentucky Gent

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm

@Josh – Thank you! I love reinventing looks for the new season, especially with classic/staples pieces that don’t loose their style.

• Reply The Office stylist April 23, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Love this look! Polka dots are always in style and you just proved it, haha. P.S. Love the fun ties.

The Office Stylist

• Reply Alex April 24, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Polka dots are just beautiful!
    You look really amazing, loving this look.

• Reply Andy February 3, 2017 at 5:07 pm

This outfit is awesome Will, such good matching here… I don’t understand how the pink tie underneath the blue polka tie is being worn though, do you have 2 ties on or is it tucked into the shirt at the top? Think this jacket is not on sale anymore on that link, which is a shame as it looks quality.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 3, 2017 at 5:50 pm

@Andy – Thanks! It’s the same tie, it’s just the thinner end of the tie you see behind it different material to the thicker part at the front. This outfit is a few years old now so that’s why the shirt is sold out.