Design Updates In My Bedroom: Soothing Blues

bright-bazaar-bedroom-1I’ve long been a fan of the classic blue and white colour combination so it’s been the staple palette of my bedroom for some time.The whites make it feel effortlessly fresh, while the the array of shades offered by the blue colour family make it rich and inviting. The headboard of my Luna bed is upholstered in a vintage indigo linen that invites an air of drama and intimacy into the scheme. Meanwhile, the linen striped azure blue curtains from Bemz keep things feeling light, airy and gently graphic.bright-bazaar-bedroom-2Isn’t the Campaign bedside table such a treat?! The design was inspired by a vintage 1940s sideboard found at a Parisian flea market and it’s become one of my favourite pieces at home now! I love the mix materials used and how the legs splay out and the wooden top is wonderfully tactile – ideal for a bedroom space.bright-bazaar-bedroom-3bright-bazaar-bedroom-4In fact, in an all-white space such as this it’s important to introduce plenty of texture to prevent the scheme from feeling too clinical or cold. The bed is dressed in layers of soft, cosy linen bedding, while rag rugs lie underfoot for a tactile touch. I also added texture through bare wooden furniture, such as my Nutkin chest of drawers. I think it pairs perfectly with the nautical vibe of my Brilliantly Bright Buoys photographic print, too. Every morning I see this print and it reminds me of a wonderful few days spent exploring the Hampton’s – a total #makeyousmilestyle element of my bedroom.bright-bazaar-bedroom-5bright-bazaar-bedroom-6bright-bazaar-bedroom-7I’m thrilled with how serene and stylish this space turned out. The Quick Step flooring was the perfect foil to all the other elements thanks to the Bleached White Teak look. It allowed me to pair the vintage linen upholstery on the bed with the vintage feel of the nightstand. Then, with the gently graphic touches in the striped curtains, lamp and bedding, it resulted in a scheme that I simply love! What do you like about my bedroom design updates? How do you decorate in your bedroom to make it feel relaxing?bright-bazaar-bedroom-8

SHOP MY BEDROOM LOOK: LAMP / BEDSIDE TABLE / BED / BEDDING / FLOORING / PRINT / WATERCOLOUR CUSHION / CURTAINS / CHEST OF DRAWERS

* // Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Angie November 18, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Oh I love this so much it reminds me of Santorini in Greece, the blues and the hues, and is that an ombre pillow I spy? LOVE!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2014 at 9:15 pm

@Angie – Oh, I love Santorini so that makes me smile a lot to read your comment! The ombre pillow is from BlueBellGray! πŸ™‚

• Reply jenn @ beyond the stoop November 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm

blue and white is one of my favorite color combos too… hence why I painted my entire brownstone condo in bright white and filled my tiny living room with a giant indigo/royal blue velvet chesterfield (from cococo home, made in the USA to boot!)

your bedroom looks amazing πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2014 at 9:15 pm

@Jenn – That sounds absolutely FANTASTIC and totally #makeyousmilestyle – love it! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the kind words about my space!

• Reply Melissa Blake November 18, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Blue is such a calming hue and it looks great in your place! πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2014 at 9:16 pm

@Melissa – I agree, it’s my favourite colour because it’s so versatile.

• Reply mary beth November 18, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Your bedroom is gorgeous and so grown up, I love it. I adore the color scheme and those Campaign bedside tables. I love your modern fresh furniture and fabrics in your rustic cottage room. Lovely juxtaposition. The little snaps of yellow are so Mr. Bright Bazaar too. Your home is coming together beautifully, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm

@Mary Beth – I’m so pleased you like it! It’s been fun to decorate with my colourful aesthetic in a more sophisticated manner than my last apartment – really enjoying it and it’s a pleasure to share the spaces. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Le Comptoir de Stephanie (funkysteph) November 18, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I love your bedroom style! We also have a blue and white theme. I have been struggling quite some times before finding the exact shade of blue I wanted for one of our wall… We have blue toile de Jouy curtains, but I definitely think our bed is lacking some layers πŸ™‚
    Any tip for simple bedding?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm

@Steph – Thank you! Your bedroom sounds lovely. I always find H&M Home great for basic bedding. I have their simple linen bedding in white and grey and it feels so soft and luxurious. Great price point, too! Good luck!

• Reply Grace @ The Big Reveal November 19, 2014 at 1:15 am

Will, I am in love with all those linen layers! So dreamy. What a perfect space!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 19, 2014 at 8:32 am

@Grace – Yes, the layers of linens make it feel so calm, tactile and peaceful!

• Reply Marie November 19, 2014 at 3:33 am

Love the soothing blue in your bedroom…and the little pops of yellow add a smile to the room. Have a Wonderful Night!!

• Reply Tara November 19, 2014 at 6:01 am

In love! The indigo bed is beautiful the wood furniture really complements the space but I’m crazy about your ceiling beams! We don’t get many Old True cottages in NYC

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 19, 2014 at 8:33 am

@Tara – I agree, that deep indigo colour adds great depth and contrast in the space.

• Reply Rebekah @ Ritzy Reba November 19, 2014 at 6:25 am

Beautiful!! You managed to perfectly mix nautical with modern. And I love that wood beam. 100% agree with you on adding texture to white. I’ve never even seen H&M home stuff before!

• Reply Rochelle November 19, 2014 at 10:39 am

Will, your bedroom is lovely and tranquil. And I adore the pop of yellow roses and your artwork. Loving all the beams in your new home. Personally I am a fan of whites and off whites in my bedroom with soft pastels that I can change through artwork, throw cushions and throws as to not be completely white and that can change with my mood and the seasons. It also makes me calm and able to relax when it comes to naptime. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 19, 2014 at 10:45 am

@Rochelle – Thank you! It sounds like you have a really stylish and flexible space! πŸ™‚

• Reply Emelie November 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

Love your blues! We also have white & blue in the bed room and it’s just so relaxing. I really liked you curtains, I think I need to check them out. Thanks for the idea! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 19, 2014 at 1:31 pm

@Emelie – Isn’t it the best? I love it! Yes, Bemz make amazing curtains, totally check them out as I was so impressed! x

• Reply Chichi Furniture November 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Lovely bedroom. I love layers in a room, sounds silly, but I always fold he first half of my duvet back to show underside pattern and add a few cushions. I have a solid leather headboard, that is a bold feature and contrasts against the more neutral walls and natural furniture. I love your solid blue headboard, it really stands as a strong focal point with the rest of the furniture softening it and balancing out the look.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 19, 2014 at 1:32 pm

@Chichi Furniture – Doesn’t sound silly at all! In fact, it’s a great way to add a gentle splash of pattern into a space! Thanks for stopping by. πŸ™‚

• Reply Trisha November 19, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Will – love this color combo!

• Reply The Kentucky gent November 19, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Love the beams above your bed! Your room is incredibly cozy, and I’m only a tid bit jealous.

• Reply Lucy November 20, 2014 at 8:52 am

Lovely! Very peaceful. How old is your home? I love beams. We live in the country but in a newish house built in the style of a farmhouse. Love your curtains too, the blue against the hello roses looks fab. I make my blinds and curtains nowadays but am tempted to go and have a look at the Benz site. X

• Reply Catherine November 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm

What a beautiful space. I just bought some gorgeous linen bedlinen from H&M Home and I think some indigo/shibori pillows would work so well with it. We have bare plaster walls, which make for quite a feature, so I like to keep everything else pared back and clean

I can’t wait to see more of your lovely cottage!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

@Catherine – Thank you for stopping by! Your bedroom buys sounds lovely! πŸ™‚

• Reply Barry November 28, 2014 at 11:29 am

Very nice room Will! Love the Nutkin Chest of drawers – gorgeous.

• Reply Deleite Design December 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I REALLY LIKE YOUR ROOM AND HOW YOU HAVE ADDED LAYERS MAKING THE ROOM SO SOFT AND COZY.

• Reply Thao Nguyen November 18, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Hi Will, I love the room, especially the linen layers. The blues just feel so nice and make me want to hit the beach. I will be moving into an attic room in NYC, would you consider doing a post about how to decorate those attic rooms? Have a great day!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 18, 2015 at 5:05 pm

@Thao – Thanks so much! Have fun decorating your new room in NYC. I will keep that post idea in mind! πŸ™‚

• Reply Have a relaxing weekend - Melissa Blake Blog November 4, 2016 at 5:58 pm

[…] Dream Home: Soothing blues. […]