BRIGHT.TRAVEL

Generator Hotel: Quirky & Bright In Barcelona

generator-hotel-hostel-barcelonagenerator-hostel-barcelonacolorful-hotel-barcelona-generator-hostelgenerator-hostel-hotel-barcelona-spainbarcelona-spain-generator-hotel-hostelgenerator-hostel-hotel-roomscolored-spanish-floor-tileswill-taylor-bright-bazaar-in-barcelonagenerator-hotel-balcony-barcelonapenthouse-suite-generator-hostel-hotel-barcelona-spainsunset-in-barcelona-view-from-generator-hostel-penthouse-suite-balcony

Back in November last year I hopped on a plane bound for Barcelona to check out the recently renovated hotel and hostel by Generator. The company has hostels in Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin, Hamburg, London and Venice, but their Barcelona location marries their usual hostel offering with a hotel experience – I was intrigued to see how the fusion would work.

The last time I stayed in a hostel was when I visited Paris for the first time with university friends in 2007. If I say plastic mattresses and mouldy showers I shouldn’t need to say anymore in order to five you a visual of how delightful it was, right?! So upon arrival to Generator’s hostel-cum-hotel I was more than pleasantly surprised. The interior was quirky, colourful, stylish (and clean!), and the were staff friendly and attentive from the outset. From the off you could tell that this was a hotel of two halves (the hotel guests on higher floors took a separate elevator to those in hostel rooms, for starters!) but also by the eclectic mix of guests, which ranged from young travellers and couples through to business travellers. By night the Fiesta Gracia Bar was all a buzz with live music and plenty of late night partying, while the adjoining Lounge area took on a slightly more relaxed vibe.

The hotel room I stayed in was small but perfectly formed with lashings of natural light, a seriously good power shower and a private balcony. The bed didn’t rate too high when it came to comfort but given the affordable price, pleasant design and cleanliness the positives outweighed the negatives. Plus, for the third night of my stay I was very kindly upgraded to the penthouse suite which offered incredible views over the city, including the famous La Sagrada Familia. I liked the contrast between the modernity of the furniture, colour block brights and the rustic wooden panelling on the walls. It was after 9pm by the time I made it back to the hotel after a day exploring the city – expect a Mr. Bazaar Travels post about my highlights, soon – but that didn’t stop me trying both the shower and bath (they were too good not to tryout) despite a 4am call time for my flight back to London! What do you like about the design of Generator’s hotel and hostel in Barcelona?

// Photography by Will Taylor and Generator | Trip was sponsored by Generator but all views my own.

You Might Also Like

• Reply Mike Anthony January 24, 2014 at 2:38 am

Hi Will,
    I just love receiving your posts by email every few days…. the pix & commentary are always bright, hop & upbeat.
    Just wanted to say Thank You. Continue with the awesome blog.
    Cheers, Mike Anthony.
    Australia.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 24, 2014 at 7:55 am

@Mike – Thank you for the kind words, Mike. Great to discover another colour lover Down Under! :)

• Reply Lindsey January 24, 2014 at 7:40 am

They are opening one in Paris! I’ll have to check it out. Your room looked fantastic!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 24, 2014 at 7:55 am

@Lindsey – You must! A great option for affordable yet stylish travel!

• Reply debra finn January 24, 2014 at 8:54 am

Hi Will, the hotel looks great and in my favourite city too. I love the tiles, they are a lovely twist on those by Gaudi in Passeig de Gracia. In fact the bright colours are very reminiscent of the Sagrada Familia spires aren’t they. A fab find, thanks.

• Reply gudy herder January 24, 2014 at 10:34 am

Yay, love to see the post up, Will. Happy you made me discover this place, will definitely recommend to friends who are coming to visit my hometown. Have a wonderful weekend xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

@Gudy – Seeing you was the highlight of our visit, I’m excited to blog about that part of the trip very soon! :) xx

• Reply elisabetta @italianbark January 24, 2014 at 10:45 am

This is so different from the idea of hostel I have in my mind! I went to Barcelona few years ago during my university time and we stayed in an hostel…which actually gave me a really bad opinion about this kind of accomodations. Now I’ve changed my mind!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 24, 2014 at 10:46 am

@Elisabetta – Right? This totally did the same for me after my experience in Paris! :)

• Reply 2moiselles January 24, 2014 at 11:25 am

Gorgeous hotel. I love this kind of hotel. I keep in my mind this address!!
    xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 24, 2014 at 11:33 am

@2moiselles – It’s a very colourful, vibrant and energising place to stay! x

• Reply Sivan January 24, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Love that hotel and the images are amazing

• Reply Kingdom of love January 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm

What a great looking hotel. I think its so important for hotels/public places to create fun, quirky environments/furniture that can really lift a space. It ensures you leave with happy memories and felling good :O)

• Reply jillian January 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm

LOVE everything about this place! i miss barcelona! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply susan January 24, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Well that place is made for you-love it!

• Reply mel January 26, 2014 at 6:34 am

Hi Will, I think it’s an interesting concept. They certainly decorate the rooms a lot nicer than the majority of mid range hotels. I love the penthouse outdoor area. The colourful decor is certainly a perfect fit for Mr Bazaar’s travels:) M x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 26, 2014 at 6:56 am

@Mel – I agree, it’s nice that they thought about the decor and made it a key part of the experience.