How to Make Stylish Clay Christmas Ornaments

These make-your-own clay Christmas tree ornaments and decorations are quick and easy to craft, making them an ideal DIY for the busy holiday season. The air-drying clay means that there’s no firing or kiln needed – you just roll, cut and stamp, and your decoration is good to go. These are perfect to use as personalised gift tags or as decorations to hang from your Christmas tree; you could make them for friends loved ones by personalising them with their Twitter handle or name. These are quite delicate, so be sure to gift them in person and handle with care! Here’s the step by step:

1. On a clean surface, roll out the pack of air-drying clay with a rolling pin.
2. Use cookie cutters to stamp your desired shapes and remove the excess clay.
3. Stamp the Twitter handle or name onto the clay, taking care not to snag or dent the surface with your fingers.
4. Use a darning needle to make a hanging hole at the top of the shape.
5. Leave to dry for at least 24 hours and then string with bakers twine.

Have you tried any stylish Christmas DIY’s this season? I’d love to know your ideas for making things personal!

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell December 20, 2013 at 12:47 am

What a great idea. I bought some air drying clay last year but still haven’t used it. You just reminded me. I can see festive crafting with the kids coming up this weekend. x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 20, 2013 at 8:01 am

@Geraldine – It’s a perfect craft to try with the kids, G! I can’t wait to see how your’s come out – have fun! x

• Reply BEA December 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

I think I’ll try and make mini ones for gift tags this weekend. Thank you for sharing the instructions!

• Reply JUNE December 20, 2013 at 8:00 am

Too cute! I love how it looks hanging on the tree in the last picture.

• Reply FunkySteph December 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

I will pin this idea and insert it in our Advent calendar next year. The only thing I did myself this year was the Advent wreath. I used a large plate, 4 cream pillar candles on which I made a bow at a low level with a green ribbon. I then spread linen seed mixed with cinnamon (for the smell) around the candles on the plate. Oh, I also did my son Advent calendar… A green ribbon pinned on a wall in the shape of a Xmas tree. I used brown paper bags and made the numbers myself… They were hung with small wooden cloth pegs.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

@FunkySteph – Those sound like really fun festive crafts! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Serena December 20, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’ve done them for Christmas placeholders!
    We are in sintony! :-)
    Marry Xmas and happy New year Will, from your Bowler hat friend

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 20, 2013 at 9:33 am

@Serena – I love the idea of making them as Christmas placeholders. Merry Christmas!

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro December 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm

So cute for gift wrapping! I’ve already wrapped most gĂ­fts but I will to it next year :) Have a nice weekend xx

• Reply caroline @trend-daily December 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm

They’ve come out beautifully Will! We’ve been making some at Trend Daily HQ too!! Have a wonderful Christmas my lovely and see you very soon in the New Year. Big hugs for you both xx

• Reply Anya December 21, 2013 at 7:16 am

Lovely – I made these with the girls – such a perfect DIY. Merry Xmas Will, hope you have a lovely one – thanks for your support, inspiration and friendship throughout the year, see you soon :)

• Reply Sharmee December 21, 2013 at 12:13 pm

These are super cute – where do you get the clay from? And do you think rather than the stamps we could write on the clay?

Merry Christmas x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm

@Sharmee – I bought the clay and stamps from Hobbycraft. I did the ‘@’ by hand and the letters with the stamps so you could try it all by hand but I fear it would be quite tricky!

• Reply LatteLisa December 22, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Wish I had seen this post earlier, as I have three children in the house who would have loved creating something like that tomorrow. But we are done with the preparation and tomorrow is a stay-home-and-relax day.

I’m bookmarking this post for next year ; – )

• Reply Louise - 30s Magazine December 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Happy Holidays Will! 2014 is going to be so exciting for you with your book and I bet many more ventures.
    Love your little DIY project. I also make them each year either as gift tags or ornaments, or name place cards tied on a napkin. Big hug!

• Reply Alba December 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Great ideas. I will do that in this Christmas.

• Reply domestikate January 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I’m seeing air drying clay everywhere, must give it a try! These are lovely. I did a wee bit of Christmas DIY-ing, you can see more details here. I think you will like the home made advent calendar!

• Reply Miss Manitas July 9, 2014 at 10:30 am