I wanted to do a slightly different gift guide this year. Instead of rounding up items that simply look good together or fit into a set price bracket, I thought I’d gather items I already own and love. Items that I use regularly and make my life better or easier all year long. After all, the gift that’s tried and tested at bringing everyday joy all year round is the best kind of gift, right? Everything on this list is something I own and love. It’s a diverse mix that includes everything from some of my favorite clothing items to the toothbrush that is so good that I’ve not needed a filling since I started using it. Many of the items I’ve had for years, and they either bring me joy or make my life easier. The gifts range from $30 to $400, so there are lots of price brackets! I know the more expensive gifts are stretch but I have to say they have absolutely been worthwhile investments and would make cherished, useful gifts for someone special you are looking to spoil. For example, the Hypervolt body massager is around $249 but it’s been the best investment for helping my back and recovering from workouts. Using it every day has made such a difference to my back pain and I truly recommend it to anyone with back issues. To shop the Holiday Gift Guide Own and Love, just click on the image below to buy. Plus, you can scroll down past the image to read why I love each gift.
Holiday Gift Guide: Own & Love
- Folding Bike Helmet – I’ve been a Citibike member in NYC for a few years now and love to cycle around. In 2020 we have all looked for ways to get outside safely and bike riding is a great activity to do just that. This is a lovely gift idea for anyone who loves to ride, or uses a bike share scheme. The bike helmet folds up but still gives great protection. I think as bike helmets go they look stylish, too! They also come in a bunch of different colors. I really love mine, I use it all the time and it’s really comfy.
- .Concrete Menu Lamp – This is the perfect gift for either that hard to buy for a person or someone who loves stylish home decor and design. The small lamp has a concrete base and a brass dimmer switch. It gives off such a warm, soft, and beautiful light. I love it’s minimalist, Scandinavian design — it’s timeless. This concrete lamp is perfect for a nightstand, shelf, or side table lamp. It also comes in different colors such as black, brass, and light grey so be sure to peep the other versions.
- Hypervolt – The HyperVolt is a body massage device that works miracles for me. The device is very powerful and it’s great whether you are warming up pre-workout or trying to release tension post-workout. If you know someone with back pain then this is a go-to gift. I use mine every day! It’s expensive but worth every cent. I tried so many cheaper ones and they weren’t anywhere near half as good as this model.
- The Gardens of Eden Coffee Table Book– I love a good coffee table book and this is one of my favorites from 2020. The book is filled with amazing gardens from small urban oases to countryside gardens. With 2020 bringing out the gardener in many of us this would be a great gift for those with green fingers on your list.
- Timex Watch – This blue and red re-issue diver inspired watch from Timex is one of my favs. I love its bold look and the retro style makes this a unique gift. It has a woven stainless steel bracelet which is a great choice for gifting because it makes it such a versatile watch. I’ve had this watch for a while now and often get compliments when I’m wearing it. It’s currently at $179 so it’s a good quality watch that’s stylish but not so expensive that you have to worry about it getting damaged.
- Jonathan Adler Ceramic Dog – I’ve had this ceramic cutie on my shelves for many years in many apartments. If you know a dog lover then these ceramic creations from JA are perfect. They are sleek and come in a beautiful matt white so sit well in most interiors. Perhaps you know someone who wants a dog and can’t get one? This is is the perfect gift for them, too.
- Alex Mill Cap – Everyone needs a cap in their wardrobe and this stylish one from Alex Mill is a great gift. It’s simple and classic and is often the cap that I grab when it’s raining because it goes easily with so many outfits.
- DiamondCare Toothbrush – I have been brushing my teeth with Phillips Sonicare for almost 10 years now. This year, I upgraded to their Diamondcare Toothbrush and it’s so good. I’ve not had a cavity since I started using it! As a design addict, I love that it comes with a charging glass, so there’s no ugly, bulky charger. Plus, the app is great as it guides you through brushing in real-time to make sure you don’t miss any spots.
- Waffle Towels – Do you have someone who loves their bathroom or perhaps a homebody, a design addict, or someone that’s hard to buy for? If so, these waffle towels would make a great gift for them! Everyone needs some extra towels, right?! These are perfect for cold winter months and come in so many colors so you’ll be sure to find a color to match their bathroom or style. I use these towels and can attest to how great and soft they are. These deserve a place on my Holiday Gift Guide Own and Love.
- Sonos Move – I love the Move wifi speaker because I can use it anywhere in the house or outside. It works great with my existing Sonos speaker system, too. When I want to listen to music somewhere in my house that doesn’t have a speaker in it (like the bathroom) I can just pick it up and carry it with me, and it keeps working by using its battery. It’s even great for when we go somewhere outside (like lying out by the pool in the summer) as the battery lasts for hours. Plus, it can be switched into a Bluetooth speaker if the wifi goes out of range — so smart! In my opinion, it’s the best wireless battery speaker because it’s simple to use, well designed, and works anywhere. It’s the perfect gift for a gadget person in your life but also their family will be happy as everyone can use it!
- Dagne Dover Backpack – This backpack literally contains my office — my heartmate calls it my school bag! This is the bag that holds all my work items: my laptop, hard drive, etc. It’s also my go-to backpack for travel because it comes with me everywhere. It’s made from soft neoprene and it fits everything in it, even my 16″ MacBook. The best thing is that it looks so simple and stylish. Most laptop bags don’t look nearly as stylish but this design is sleek and I always get tons of comments on it.
- Larq Self-Cleaning Bottle – This is a self-cleaning water bottle that I got last Christmas. It’s insulated so it keeps your water cool, and with a touch of a button, it cleans the water inside the bottle using UV. I think we all know that reusable water bottles can get smelly and so this is a great solution to that problem.
- Clae Sneakers – What is better than the gift of comfortable and stylish shoes? Finding the perfect pair of sneakers isn’t easy. I discovered Clae a few years back and they’ve been my favorite sneaker company ever since. Their take on the classic white sneaker is a fashion staple that most people would love to have in their closet.
- Barbour Jacket – This jacket is for sure an investment piece but be assured that it’s something that will last a lifetime. As a Brit, this jacket is quintessentially British and I know from a lot of experience (!) that it stands up to heavy rain while still looking stylish. I’ve had my jacket for years and it’s a staple every season. Mine is a dark green but they also come in black and navy. A wax jacket is truly a gift that will last a lifetime!
- Hockney Book – Hockney is one of my favorite artists. I love his range of techniques and his use of color brings me so much joy. Whether someone is familiar with his work or not, this book is great to have around for inspiration. Spread the joy of great art this year!
If you made it to the end here is an secret extra to my Holiday Gift Guide:
The Best Candle – Personally, I don’t think a gift guide is complete without a great candle! However, when it comes to candles I am very choosy. I’ve tried literally hundreds of them and this Cannabis candle from Malin & Goetz is one of my absolute favorites. This candle has such an intoxicating scent, I just love it. The scent isn’t overpowering but you can continually smell it, which I like as some scented candles you can barely smell or they give me a migraine! Also, just to note, the candle doesn’t smell of actual cannabis. Rather, it’s a mix of spicy herbs and coffee. It’s the perfect unisex candle and would be loved by anyone. I promise it’s SO good!