Palette Addict: How To Get Dip-Dye Walls Right

dip-dye-wall-decor-idea

This living room is a fine example of how to get dip-dye walls right. The dip-dye effect on the walls is used to the advantage of the rest of the scheme: the concentration of the hot pink colour at the bottom of the walls draws the eye down and anchors the other elements of the space. This works well here because it stops the high ceilings from making the living room feel sparse and uninviting. Notice how the other key pieces in the scheme, such as the sofa, coffee table and armchair all exercise restraint when it comes to pattern. By keeping these pieces fairly simple it lets the dip-dye wall take centre stage and doesn’t compete with it. Rather, the walls act as a stunning backdrop to the other parts of the scheme. Small flashes of pattern can be introduced through accessories like trays and cushions but keep them to a minimum for the most stylish results. What do you think of this dip-dye space, friends? Do you have any similar finishes in your home?

// Photography by Krusto

• Reply tim@designmaze June 19, 2013 at 5:33 am

I love it! West Elm did a similar wall and it’s the most amazing blue wall I have ever seen! It is more to be ocean + sky but to me, it’s just the perfect blend of blue and white dip-dye.

I also saw a blue and white pillow with dye effect the other day .. so dreamy πŸ™‚

• Reply Anya June 19, 2013 at 10:02 am

I love it – looks insanely cool:) Wonder how easy it is to pull of though? Happy Wednesday Will,
    Axx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar June 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

@Anya – I think Designers Guild do a very similar wallpaper which could be a good option to get the look! x

• Reply caroline @trend-daily June 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm

What a gorgeous room-I’m with Anya-wouldnt have the talent to pull it off, so I’d definitely have to go with the DG wallpaper!! See you soon lovely-will send a quick text xx

• Reply Roger Van der matten June 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Very nice. It creates a modern organic look! πŸ™‚

• Reply Alexa June 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I am in love with this room. And I like your idea in the comments about a possible wallpaper.

• Reply Hollie@miAfleur June 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Oooh I love this look! Great for a real pop of colour without being too much!

• Reply susan June 19, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Wow that is a daring look…pays off if done right!

• Reply Mel June 20, 2013 at 7:04 am

I love this look Will and what a gorgeous example you came across – hot! Mel x

• Reply Sara June 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm

That wall is amazing!

• Reply Pei June 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi WIll – I’m new to your blog, and it’s been love at first browse! Would you happen to have access to the colors used on this wall? It’s perfect & I want to try to recreate it at home.

• Reply designandbeyond July 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Fantastic Idea if you are not sure whether to Paint a whole wall or Wallpaper. This would look gorgeous in a Bathroom!