Yesterday, I shared my moodboard inspiration for our winter dining room makeover sponsored by Home Depot. Today, it’s the reveal! I wanted to create a clean and cozy winter space without it feeling stuffy or overly traditional. Equally, I didn’t want it to feel super modern as too many clean modern lines can make for a dining space that feels cold and unwelcoming. So, my aim was to create a space that balanced those two design directions.
The centerpiece of the dining room makeover is the Home Decorators Collection Aldridge Washed Black Round Dining Table. I choose this dark wood so that it would contrast with the white chairs (Natural Woodstring Dining Chair) and also the white shiplap in the space. It acts as an anchor to all the fresh winter whites, greys, greens and metallics I layered across the room.
What do you think of the final space? Let me talk you through some of the key elements in the space and why I choose them.Let’s start with the tabletop. If you’re anything like me, you likely have lots of different plates and dishes. I have so many options but sometimes I only have a set for four and not six. I don’t let this deter me from using them but rather I just embrace it and go for a mix and match approach; it creates a layered and homely look. For this tabletop I paired the Sango 16-Piece Ruvo Gray Dinnerware Set with the Certified International Radiance 12-Piece Multicolor Dinnerware Set. I was really happy how it turned out – even though the two sets are really different, when mixed together they work thanks to their shared color palette which serves as a red thread between them.I would always advise sticking in the same color palette when you have mix and match dinnerware, so that the different designs don’t jar the eye. To add visual interest and a little luxe factor to the table I decided to add metallic gold as an accent. I used gold flatware and then did a very simple arrangement with them were I crossed the flatware over each other and wrapping them with a simple ornament I had. This gives the tabletop a subtle festive and seasonal feel – perfect for a NYE dinner, for example. The other gold accent I layered onto the table was in these wonderful Fitz and Floyd glassware; I’m obsessed with the honeycomb pattern on them. It makes the glassware much warmer and tactile rather than just a solid metal; plus, it introduces pattern to the table without overpowering the overall look.Lastly, to help give some added warmth to the table, I placed linen napkins under each of the bowls – linen is my favorite textile for place settings because it’s so tactile.I love the banquet seating area of our dining room happens to be one of my favorite places in the house to go and read. Something about cozying up in a corner is extra comforting, don’t you think?! The other thing I love about this nook? It’s the perfect spot to layer on alllllll the throw pillows and makes it super easy to switch up the look of the space with each new season. Do you remember in the Summer how I had the cute lemon throw pillows? Well, for my cozy winter dining room look I swapped those out and layered on bunch of different textures and sizes. For consistency, I kept the color theme broadly the same; The Home Depot have such a great selection of throw pillows online making it easy to browse and find the perfect ones for your space! Even better is that most of them are available on two-day shipping so there’s no waiting weeks for your new pillow crush! In the end I choose those ones:
– Home Dynamix Gray Striped Faux Fur Pillow
– Safavieh Faux Dalmatian Tips Plush Fur Pillow
– Rizzy Home Ivory Cotton Pillow
– Kelsey Pillow in Light Gray
– LR Gray Pillow
– Silver Fox Faux Fur PillowAcross from the dining table I added the Home Decorators Collection Anjou White Wash Open Bookcase. I LOVE this piece because it feels modern yet farmhouse-homely (aka my favorite!) thanks to the combination of black steel frame and white washed exposed wooden shelves. It’s perfect for displaying your favorite kitchen and dining pieces that you also need to have close to hand – casserole dishes, glassware, mugs, dinnerware, cutlery, condiments etc. Here are some of the pieces I display on our bookcase:
– Caviar-Grey Dutch Oven
– Lava Dutch Oven
– La Cuisine White Oval Casserole
– White Dinner Set
– Stonebriar Collection Wire and Wood Baskets (Set of 2)
– White Ceramic Cylinder Vase Set
– OXO Muffin Pan
– Cake Boss Decorating Tool SetLet me know what you think of the refreshed space? I hope it gives you some tabletop inspo. For any upcoming NYE dinner parties, or an overall of your own dining room for the winter season ahead.// Photography by Will Taylor | Posted in partnership with Home Depot; thanks for supporting the partners that make Bright.Bazaar’s content possible.