BRIGHT.TRAVEL Summer destination

The Colourful & Characterful Zilwa Attitude Hotel, Mauritius

Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-1Way back in February I took my first ever trip to the Indian Ocean. Why? To explore the island of Mauritius, which is four hours West off the coast of South Africa. The trip was sandwiched in between a 1.5day work trip to NYC in one of their coldest winters on record, and a trip to explore Northern Finland. Let’s just say my body had no idea what was going on but it was lapping up all the gorgeous sunshine and exotic vibes of this tropical island! I was staying at the Zilwa Attitude Hotel and immediately feel in love with all the rustic textures, colours and incredible views. Click through after the jump to tour the hotel with me…

Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-2You guys know I have a thing (hello, understatement!) for colourfully painted shutters, so the fact the hotel had several walls covered in reclaimed shutters from old Mauritian houses made me smile.Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-3Yep, that’s a swimming pool; one of three, in fact! There were two family pools and one adults-only pool (pictured).Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-4Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-5Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-6The whole resort is planted with lush greenery, swaying palms and colourful exotic flowers. Many of the buildings are open to the elements, creating a relaxing indoor-outdoor vibe that put me in a constant zen-like state. I loved that the interior of the main building featured exposed wooden beams juxtaposed with contemporary white furniture.Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-7Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-8Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-9The boat bar was one of my favourite spots at the Zilwa Attitude. Yes, the drinks were great and, of course, my favourite colour combination of blue and yellow helped, but it was that view which sealed the deal. I just loved how this hotel felt so far from a corporate chain. From the decor to the staff to the food, it was brimming with inspiring colours, character and personality.Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-10Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-11In fact, the hotel and it’s super friendly staff (look at that smile!) prides itself on creating a traditional Mauritian experience for their guests. From the architecture of the property being inspired by traditional Mauritian houses to the treatments in the spa and the cuisine, you can see and feel the passion for the island throughout the hotel and it’s staff. Speaking of food, there are six dining options to choose from: Taba-J snack bar, Slaw restaurant, Lor Disab beach restaurant, Karay buffet restaurant, Grand Zil restaurant, Sate restaurant. The Grand Zil restaurant is open air on a private island in the lagoon were we enjoyed an incredible BBQ lunch one afternoon – I highly recommend doing this if you visit. Just amazing.Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-12Oh, hi, just causally hanging out on the hotel dock into the lagoon before going snorkelling over the reef!Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-13Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-14Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-15The rooms were a story of contrasting textures: traditional concrete floors were softened by jute rugs and tactile wooden furniture, all accented with bright pops of colour via art and textiles. The view from our room was genuinely breathtaking (see final pic of the post!) and I spent hours gazing out across the Indian Ocean. It was a wonderful tonic during such a busy work month; a great spot to enjoy a gin and tonic, too!Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-16Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-17Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-18Those golden rays – they were quite something. I have such special memories of my time in this hotel; watching the sunsets with my heartmate during each magic hour are pretty high up there. If you appreciate a more authentic experience that is both rustic and luxurious at the same time, then the Zilwa Attitude hotel would be perfect for you. Have you been to Mauritius?Zilwa-Attitude-Hotel-Mauritius-19 // Photography by Will Taylor | I was a guest of Thomson on this trip but all views are my own

• Reply Susan August 5, 2015 at 5:28 pm

That bar!!! Wow!

• Reply Jill August 5, 2015 at 5:29 pm

My hubby and I were just talking about going to Mauritius for our holiday next year and your post has confirmed we must go! Thank you.

• Reply Zac August 5, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Love the pictures of the ocean Will

• Reply Juliana August 5, 2015 at 5:30 pm

The wooden shutters are beautiful! Looks like a stunning hotel, thank you for sharing it with us!

• Reply Josh | The Kentucky Gent August 5, 2015 at 7:18 pm

This resort looks too picture perfect! Consider me a little jealous.

Josh | The Kentucky Gent

• Reply Douglas Frank August 5, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Beautiful! Great article!

• Reply Lizzie Owen August 6, 2015 at 8:00 am

AWESOME – so pleased you were with T, as this is just too magical an experience to be on your own. My hubby and I travelled to the Seychelles, staying at Dennis Island, which was a very similar experience – needless to say, each time we see something similar, we start discussing when we will return – this hotel looks like it might be just the ticket!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 6, 2015 at 8:09 am

@Lizzie – Your holiday sounds stunning! Zilwa is perfect for couples – go, go, go! Tell the hubs, Mr. Bazaar authorisied it! 😉

• Reply Niamh August 6, 2015 at 9:26 am

Looks so gorgeous, Will! x

• Reply Mary @ hellopeagreen.com August 6, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Well done Will on another fantastic Bright Bazaar travels. Those colours gosh you could just get lost in them. I am stinkingly jealous that you got to visit this glorious place and several of those design statements could be brought home 🙂 So you always feel like you’re on holiday. Gosh I wish I was back on holiday now….. ah well Paris in September 🙂 Awesome post as always

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 6, 2015 at 2:30 pm

@Mary – You are so right; those colours are perfect for escaping into! Enjoy Paris in Sept!

• Reply Emelie August 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

What a lovely place! I’ve never been to Mauritius, but it seems amazing. We didn’t have any summer here in Sweden so I wouldn’t mind to go there 😉 And I LOVE your new blog design! Love the blue water-colour-font! I’m currently redesigning my blog as well so it’s very inspiring. xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 6, 2015 at 2:31 pm

@Emelie – Sorry to hear your summer hasn’t been so great. Thanks for the kind words on the blog, and good luck with your redesign! x

• Reply catsweet August 7, 2015 at 12:26 pm

The wooden shutters are beautiful! I adore your new blog design!

• Reply becky hutner August 18, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Holy baskets & shutters! That hotel looks amazing. So jealous of your Mauritius jaunt. Very much wanting to get to that part of the world, esp nearby Madagascar!

• Reply Mr Bright Bazaar’s Mission To Mauritius - Thomson Blog August 26, 2015 at 10:50 am

[…] a look back over Mr Bright Bazaar’s Instagram feed for a colour-tinged glimpse of Mauritius. And click here to find out what Mr Bright Bazaar thought about the Thomson hotel he stayed in, the Zilwa Attitude […]

• Reply Veeral March 5, 2016 at 6:02 am

Visited Mauritius a couple of years ago and I have no words to describe it. Simply put, it is “Heaven on Earth” and like you said they have the nicest people. Will definitely plan a visit again.

• Reply Sara February 26, 2017 at 6:07 am

Amazing pictures and good review! Love your post about Zilwa! Just booked it and now I am soooo full of anticipation!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 9, 2017 at 2:06 pm

@Sara – Oh, I’m so pleased! It’s an amazing hotel; enjoy it and safe travels!