BRIGHT.TRAVEL

The Colourful Design of Soho Beach House, Miami

Soho-beach-house-miami-1Before embarking on my book photoshoots across America for my second Bright.Bazaar book (follow along on the #brightbooktwo tag on Instagram!), I spent a few days in Miami. It was my second time in Florida but my first in Miami so I decided to make it extra special with a stay at the Soho Beach House. The design details of this house were one of my favourite from the Soho House group, especially the Mediterranean-inspired restaurant, Mandolin Beach.

Soho-beach-house-miami-2Soho-beach-house-miami-3Soho-beach-house-miami-4The restaurant serves delicious Mediterranean fare (and reallllllllly good cocktails!) amongst taverna style worn wooden tables, blue-painted chairs and charming strung bulbs. I really could have moved in to this colourful and exotic enclave, so no surprise I ate there twice in two days!Soho-beach-house-miami-5Soho-beach-house-miami-6Soho-beach-house-miami-7The setting of all Soho House clubs is important but at the Soho Beach House Miami it defines the experience. Everywhere you look there are lush palms, brilliant light, rustic textures and the most divine blue hues.Soho-beach-house-miami-8Soho-beach-house-miami-9The Miami Beach area of the city is known for its Art Deco buildings and the Beach House is no exception. The hotel was originally built in 1941 as the Sovereign Hotel, so when refurbished to become the Beach House the design team referenced the Cuban and South American influences that charmed the hotel’s original guests.Soho-beach-house-miami-10Soho-beach-house-miami-11The bright palette throughout is tempered by aged wood, leather furnitures and tactile textiles. Accessories are carefully mismatched to ensure that every room has a unique identity. With an in-room bar there’s every invitation to kick back and relax…Soho-beach-house-miami-12Soho-beach-house-miami-13… and these chairs provide the perfect spot to sit (cocktail in hand, natch) and enjoy the #MakeYouSmileStyle view from the room. I mean, those colours you guys – incredible.Soho-beach-house-miami-14Soho-beach-house-miami-15Soho-beach-house-miami-16Yes, the pools are as inviting, relaxing and stylish as they look. Bold blue and white striped sun loungers line either side of the main pool which is nestled amongst an array of palms. By day the pool offers a much-needed rest-bite from the heat, and by night it’s perfect for a romantic drink as the stars and lights twinkle through the gently swaying palms.Soho-beach-house-miami-17Soho-beach-house-miami-18Oh, and I mustn’t forget to mention that there’s a heavenly outdoor shower which is ideal for post pool or beach playtime!Soho-beach-house-miami-19Soho-beach-house-miami-20Soho-beach-house-miami-21The roof deck makes the most of the eye-popping view across the property, beach and ocean beyond. The bright colour story continues with cheerful mix and match stools to sit and admire the view; lemon yellow and electric blue pillows line seating areas; and the Ocho bar and taqueria is a perfect place unwind after a treatment at the Cowshed Spa. So after a morning by the pool, a Mediterranean lunch at Mandolin, an afternoon on the beach followed by a massage, how does one round out the perfect Miami day? By taking in the beautiful sunset before a delicious Italian dinner at Cecconi’s. You can find out more about, and apply for, Soho Beach House membership, here. Have you ever been to the Soho Beach House Miami? What were your highlights of this city?Soho-beach-house-miami-22 // Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Matthew July 7, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Ahhh Those restaurant chairs are the perfect blue! I’ve been considering a trip to Miami. Would you go back?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 7, 2015 at 6:25 pm

@Matthew – Aren’t they just perfect? Loved them! Yes, I would 100% go back. Try and squeeze in a trip to Key West as well if you have the chance!

• Reply Andreas July 7, 2015 at 6:57 pm

This is an absolute colour overjoy, I am in love! The hotel looks amazing and has its very own style, which is just perfect and absolutely fits Miami.

• Reply mary beth July 8, 2015 at 4:36 am

I want that swing please! When will your second book be ready to order? Did I miss that information, Will? Thanks

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 8, 2015 at 8:30 am

@MaryBeth – It’s not available to pre-order just yet but I’ll be sure to blog/announce on social media when it is. Thanks for your interest! 🙂

• Reply fiona duke July 8, 2015 at 7:16 am

i absolutely LOVE these photos on your blog today. The bar area with those 2 chairs looks so inviting and the bar terrace with those gorgeous stools….. The hotel bedroom is just totally perfect – love the chosen colour for the walls.
    it’s a pretty dull morning here today and these have totally lifted me and made me smile. I will keep coming back to these today thank you 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 8, 2015 at 8:30 am

@Fiona – So pleased you found the property as inspiring as I did! Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply Jill July 8, 2015 at 11:26 am

Have been meaning to apply for membership for a while…all this beauty just convinced me to do it! Fingers crossed!!!

• Reply Seth July 8, 2015 at 11:27 am

Knockout post Will. Your photography is on point. Need to check this place out next time I am in MIA.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 8, 2015 at 11:28 am

@Seth – Thank you. I really enjoyed my stay and shooting the property. So much design eye candy!

• Reply Ingrid Jansen July 8, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Ahoy Will! what a cool place to shoot! you did it in style and i’m in love with that bamboo shower cabin… thanks for the Menorca inspiration and enjoyed it so much and miss our week on this magical island already. Merci for the great Menorca-tips Xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 8, 2015 at 10:07 pm

@Ingrid – Thank you for the kind words about my shots, it means a lot! That outdoor shower was SO divine! Anytime re: the Menorca tips, I am delighted that you loved it so much! x

• Reply Josh | The Kentucky Gent July 8, 2015 at 3:21 pm

The SoHo Houses always amaze me with how beautifully they are done – love the rooftop bar in NYC.

Josh | The Kentucky Gent

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 8, 2015 at 10:08 pm

@Josh – Agreed! I have loved the NYC House ever since that episode with Ginger Spice as Annabelle Bronstein and Samantha steals her membership card to get in!

• Reply Glyn @ Collett and Holder July 9, 2015 at 12:26 am

Love the splashes of blue and turquoise that pop up everywhere, it all looks so fresh, relaxed and stylish, it looks like the idyllic getaway 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 9, 2015 at 12:32 am

@Glyn – Idyllic is the right word! Still dreaming about all those blue hues!

• Reply Anrola July 9, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Stunning photos – I added one to my Pinterest.

• Reply Matthew Pike July 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Doesn’t this place look ideal! We were in Naples a few weeks back, just a bit away from Miami. The beaches!

Buckets & Spades