Living Room Styling Inspired By Central Park

central-park-in-autumnFirst off, I’d like to send heartfelt thanks to everyone who has supported Grace and I’s #wearefamily 2014 project to raise equality awareness. The positive and engaged response has been overwhelming; reading the family stories from people across the world just shows how beautifully diverse our planet is. I’ve had a super busy week with back-to-back meetings and events, so I’m excited that my friend Brooke is coming to visit from NYC this weekend. In honour of the visit I thought it would be fun to create a cosy little living room nook inspired by one of my favourite spots in her city – Central Park.living-room-blue-decor-1When I was in New York City for business a few weeks ago I made sure to take a trip into Central Park at least once a day. Whether it was for a quick stroll with my morning coffee or an evening run with my heart mate around the reservoir, it was so nice to take in the beautiful autumnal views at every turn.living-room-blue-decor-1aI knew that the gorgeous blue skies of this Central Park scene would be perfect for pairing with the new colour scheme in my living room, so I decided to pull together other shades from the blue colour family to complete the look. I was keen to invite both the colours and textures of that Central Park moment into the living room. Having laid Quick Step’s Bleached White Teak flooring when I first moved into the property, I already had a gorgeous white base onto which I could layer in my favourite colours! The Buxton table lamp was the perfect hero piece because it was not only a nod to the colours of the autumnal scene, but also the reflective finish was a nod to the mirror-like lake, too. I needed a classic, simple side table to anchor these new elements – the clean lines and stylish simplicity of the Miami occasional table were perfect for this.living-room-blue-decor-2The addition of these two Tesco pieces has really helped to pull the space together. Not only are the designs ideal in terms of shape, colour and size, but they reflect my personal colour inspirations from the natural environment. Anyone who has read the Bright.Bazaar book will now how much I’m a champion for discovering decor inspiration on your travels! What do you think of my living room updates? How would you use these pieces in your home?living-room-blue-decor-3

// Photography by Will Taylor-Willis | Posted in collab. with Tesco; all views my own.

• Reply mary beth November 6, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi Will, I am a lamp nut! I have too many and I move them around the house to different rooms and I switch up the shades from lamp to lamp but I keep buying more lamps, It’s weird. I adore your blue lamp, I will have to get one. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm

@Mary Beth – Oh, you and me both! I LOVE lamps! So pleased you like the Buxton lamp as well. πŸ™‚

• Reply Emma Jayne November 6, 2014 at 8:55 pm

The Buxton table lamp is gorgeous and sits so well with the paler blue sofa – adds depth to a kind of sugary shade of powder blue! I like the black& white cushion, plus the aqua coffee cup (altogether a lovely colour combo!)

I’m big on cushions and have plenty in my lounge. I think the black & cushion would go with most colour schemes and it would look perfect, especially the geometric pattern, in my living room πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 7, 2014 at 1:25 am

@Emma Jayne – Thanks for the lovely comment, I’m so pleased you like how I styled the lamp into the space! πŸ™‚

• Reply Tara November 7, 2014 at 2:02 am

The blue lamp is gorgeous!

• Reply Marianne November 7, 2014 at 7:07 am

When I first saw your new blue sofa, my heart sighed!
    Blue is the accent colour in our living, dining room and kitchen. I just bought new blue fabric to recover our dining room chairs, a very similar hue to your sofa.

That’s a lovely lamp; yes, the finish it mirrors the lake. I would never have thought that but I see it now!

NY is amazing; glad your heart mate was able to accompany you.

Your writing and pictures are a delight; thank you, Will!
    Best wishes and hugs from Vancouver.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 7, 2014 at 9:45 am

@Marianne – I love the sound of how you used the blue in your place. Thank you for the kind words, they made me smile! Hugs back! πŸ™‚

• Reply Brooke h November 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

Even prettier in person! So amazing to finally be sitting in your cottage. xx

• Reply Jenni November 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I was really surprised to see these pieces were from tesco, so in love with the table.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm

@Jenni – I know! They really do have some fantastic pieces in the collection. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply The Kentucky gent November 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Love how light the living room feels with these colors. Central Park is a beauty. Lucky to have a park in my hometown designed by the same guy who did Central Park. Hope you had a stellar weekend!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm

@TKG – That’s so awesome! Thanks for the kind words and hope you too had a great weekend!

• Reply Beauty FOllower November 17, 2014 at 4:07 pm

In love with the blue table lamp!

• Reply Maggie Minor September 23, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Being a lover of travel and interior design myself, I really appreciated finding this blog. I loved how you found inspiration from Central Park (one of my favorite spots in NYC too!) …and how you tied that into the tree pillow and blues in the room. The blues are the same as the sky in NYC on a clear day:)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 23, 2016 at 12:29 pm

@Maggie – Welcome! Thank you for the lovely comment. You are so right about those beautiful NYC blue sky days, too! πŸ™‚