10 Carpet Ideas From Alternative Flooring

alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-1alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-2alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-3alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-4alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-5alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-6alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-7alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-8alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-9alternative-flooring-quirky-b-collection-10

Padding around bare footed at home doesn’t sound too appealing now that the weather has started to turn that bit cooler thanks to the arrival of Autumn, does it? Yet there’s something about arriving home, kicking off your shoes and relaxing at home with scented candles burning and generally nesting in comfy clothes. This is what led me to seek out ways to create a cosy home under foot for the new season. Truth be told, I’ve never been a huge carpet fan but my mind quickly changed upon discovering the new Quirky B collection from Alternative Flooring. Not only is the collection of carpets and stair runners incredibly colourful (massive brownie points right there!) but it’s also an exploration of striking patterns, too. This combination creates the opportunity to really make the floors in a space the statement feature – this approach to a scheme is ideal if the room is lacking a natural focal point, like a fireplace or other existing architectural detail.

The new Quirky B collection is a new broadloom patterned carpet collection in collaboration with designers Margo Selby and Ashley Hicks. The collaborative designs sit alongside a range of more designer Quirky patterns in-house, too. The wool carpets are woven on traditional carpet looms in the UK and each designer created two styles each. Margo Selby is a woven textile designer who creates colourful handcrafted fabrics. The two designs seen here, Fair Isle and Shuttle, are here first ever carpet and runner designs for Alternative Flooring. Both are beautifully crafted in Margo Selby’s trademark 3-dimensional style and feature her distinctive graphic patterns in earthy and vibrant colour mixes. The innovative designs are developed on handlooms by Margo in her studio and then woven into broadloom carpets. Meanwhile, international interior and furniture designer Ashley Hicks designed two striking patterned carpets called Chainmail and Daisy.

Personally, I love how this collection allows one to invite both colour, pattern *and* comfort into a space via one decorating element. The Quirky B collection has cemented in my mind that carpet can be cool, so given I have a penchant for alliteration, I’m certifying the collection ‘cracking carpet’! Which of these ten carpet ideas from Alternative Flooring do you like best? How would you use carpet in your own home?

* // Photography by Alternative Flooring

• Reply Suki and polly September 17, 2014 at 8:22 am

I would have an extremely hard job deciding which carpet to get here, they’re all gorgeous! How about a different one in every room?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 17, 2014 at 11:38 am

@Suki and Polly – I like your thinking! Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply Lindsey September 17, 2014 at 10:31 am

Loving #2! Still subtle enough a motif to go with various design touches in the rest of a room (pillows, accessories, etc.)

• Reply Susan September 17, 2014 at 11:36 am

I love the colours in number nine! Great post!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 17, 2014 at 11:38 am

@Susan – Great autumnal colours right there. Thanks for the kind words.

• Reply Rj September 17, 2014 at 11:37 am

I love three, four and seven!

• Reply mary beth September 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

Seriously, I love them all but I think number 7 is my favorite. I suppose I just love the entire room and the carpet really makes a difference!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 17, 2014 at 11:49 am

@Mary Beth – Yes, you are so right, it really packs a punch in that space.

• Reply Chichi Furniture September 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I’m not usually a fan of heavily patterned carpeting, but I have to say pic 10 is really standing out for me. It is such a striking space. The carpet has added a real wow factor. I love how they haven’t carpeted the whole of the hallway, but used a strip, it allows the beautiful wooden floor to also stand out and tone down the pattern a bit.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

@ChiChi – That is one of my favourites as well. It really helps to add visual interest and drama by using the carpet in that way – fantastic! Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply Rebecca_FeltBallRug September 17, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I really like the graphic patterns on these carpets! I got on a pattern floor kick this summer!!! …one bit of evidence being a post I did on FeltBallRug.com’s tumblr πŸ™‚

My attention has been primarily drawn to hard flooring. But like you said, with the cold weather coming your feet want something warmer and cozier to walk on!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm

@Rebecca – Totally agree, I think it’s the colour and graphic pattern that makes it such a strong collection!

• Reply Tim@designmaze September 18, 2014 at 8:19 pm

love No. 7!! would look amazing as a runner on the staircase too! xoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar September 18, 2014 at 11:37 pm

@Tim – I totally agree, that would look fantastic! Thanks for stopping by! xo

• Reply eclecchic September 19, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thank you for sharing. Printed carpets are a must!

• Reply Creative modern staircase ideas, statement Interiors inspiration August 18, 2017 at 1:54 am

[…] Image: Margo Selby at Alternative Flooring […]