Palette Addict: Scandi White Wooden Flooring

scandi-white-wooden-flooring-inspiration

I’ve always lusted after Scandi-style white wooden flooring and before we shot our flat for the Bright.Bazaar book I was finally able to get a slice of my flooring-shaped dream! I went halves with my landlord to replace the carpet in two of the rooms for white laminate flooring and it has proved to be the perfect base to layer in brighter accents, from both fundamental pieces of furniture to smaller soft furnishings and textiles. I’m excited to share the results of how it looks in my home inside my first book next year.

Today I wanted to put the spotlight on this stylish Scandi dining room as a fine example of how to make warm up whites for winter. Decorating with white in the dining room needn’t result in the room feeling cold, especially if you layer in blue accents across the space. Here we see how painting the inside of the cabinet powder blue and a series of dining chairs in cadet grey create a warmer atmosphere in the otherwise all-white space. A lone pop of yellow in the vase may seem like a small addition of colour but it plays an important role in grounding the dining furniture within the scheme. As the majority of the fundamental elements in the room are white – white washed floors and painted white walls and furniture – they could easily blur into one making the space look messy and unstructured; this shot of citrus anchors the table and draws the eye down to create a focal point. What inspires you about this stylish dining room?

// Photography by Klikk

• Reply SUZ December 10, 2013 at 7:54 am

I love the rustic feel to this decor scheme. It feels cozy.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

@Suz – Ditto, I love how it feels fresh but inviting at the same time.

• Reply BEA December 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

Never would have thought to bring blue into a white room like this but now I totally want to!!

• Reply CAZ December 10, 2013 at 7:56 am

DREAMY!!!

• Reply argone December 10, 2013 at 8:15 am

Great style, love it !

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

@Argone – Feeling stylish and homely at the same time is difficult to achieve but this space has both elements in spades!

• Reply Lucy December 10, 2013 at 9:46 am

It’s nice hearing why other designers think a room works. Very interesting. It is a beautiful room and I love the addition of black to the space that keeps it from feeling too soft.

Beautiful explanation and room. Congratulations on your first book!

• Reply Ferren December 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

I WISH my landlord would let me paint our floors and walls. Very lucky!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

@Ferren – This is the first landlord that has let us do it. We’re really lucky because he can see how it adds value to the property! Phew!

• Reply We Heart Home December 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Completely in love with these chairs!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm

@We Heart Home – I like the weathered/distressed finish to them – a nice country vibe.

• Reply chichi furniture December 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This is a gorgeous space. The blue looks great and I love that they’ve added colour to the inside of the display unit. Units with strong accent colours inside are a great way to introduce blacks of colour to a room, without it appearing too busy. I also agree with Lucy that adding black just gives an extra dimension to the room.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm

@Chichi Furniture – I love seeing display units with an accent colour introduced via a painted interior; it’s that surprise addition of colour that brings a piece to life.

• Reply raina @astylistslife December 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Aggh Will your killing me! I so wanted white washed or bleached floors in the new house but had various issue with the existing floors that made it not work.
    I guess I need to do another houseโ€ฆ:)
    x r

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 10, 2013 at 9:35 pm

@Raina – I remember reading your blog post about it! Yes, the only thing for it is renovation 3.0! ๐Ÿ˜‰ x

• Reply Katja December 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm

The floor is beautiful – not too white, adding some warmth and texture to the space. I like the chairs – there is a nice symmetry in the layout of the chairs, still it doesn’t look too symmetrical.

• Reply zhi December 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I love white floors!! I’ve been seriously thinking about changing my own flooring to whitewashed wooden floors sometime next year but I’m so afraid it will cost too much and I’m not sure if it will damage the underfloor heating. Perhaps I need to look into this in more detail next year as I’m so tempted again after looking at your image above. ๐Ÿ˜€

I like the calmness the styling above exudes but that bright pop of yellow keeps everything a bit exciting as well.