Three Colourful Christmas Decorating Ideas

simple-felt-christmas-ornamentsmint-holiday-decorationsMarket Picks: fig.1 | fig.2 | fig.3 | fig.4 | fig.5 | fig.6 | fig.7 | fig.8 | fig.9
For the latest post in my Three Ways and Latest Collections series I figured it would make sense to put the spotlight on decorating for the holidays and Christmas. I’ve always enjoyed planning out stylish Christmas decorating looks and I think these three themes are versatile enough to fit a variety of tastes and styles. Kicking things off we have the beautiful Nordic Light look which centres around calm and serene shades of green and blue. Inspired by the cool blue light of the Nordic region, the palette feels instantly festive. The key to keeping this look warm and inviting is to layer in plenty of texture and warm candle light; this palette works well with bare wood, for example. I can’t get enough of the Starlight mug (OK, I admit, I totally ordered it as I was putting this post together!), while the car ornaments and handmade mason jar decorations fill me with festive spirit and charm.diy-peg-advent-calendarred-and-white-christmas-decorationsMarket Picks: fig.1 | fig.2 | fig.3 | fig.4 | fig.5 | fig.6 | fig.7 | fig.8 | fig.9
The second Christmas decorating theme is called Candy Cane in honour of it’s traditional red and white look. The most traditional of the three looks, this palette offers a versatile scheme that can work in almost any space. Given a red and white colour combination is so synonymous with Christmas it means that a small layering of pieces from this theme are enough to spell out festive style. Why not hang a few pretty paper stars in an empty nook or treat a loved one to a treat everyday in December with this wooden advent calendar? You’ll be feeling full of Christmas spirit in no time, I guarantee!
multicolored-christmas-decor-ideasmulticoloured-christmas-decorations

Market Picks: fig.1 | fig.2 | fig.3 | fig.4 | fig.5 | fig.6 | fig.7 | fig.8 | fig.9 | fig.10
Eagle-eyed readers might recognise the lifestyle image for this multicoloured Christmas look from my ‘Three Ways To Style A Christmas Tree’ photo shoot back in 2010. Well, fast forward three years and the look is still proving popular on the high street and beyond. This is the perfect Christmas decorating idea for those who wish to create a vibrant, fiesta feel at home. It’s also good for those looking to create an element of surprise with their holiday decor because it couldn’t be further from the traditional red and white palette of Candy Cane; it provides a refreshing take on festive decorating. I like the idea of stringing the beautiful tear drop baubles from ribbon to create an eye-catching garland. I’m going to decorate my tree in a Nordic Light theme this year. How about you, friends? Which of these three looks do you like best? How will you be decorating for Christmas or the holiday season this year?
// Lifestyle photography by 1. Toast | 2. Norske interior blogger, via | 3. Matt Cant

• Reply susan November 20, 2013 at 12:42 am

Candy cane is my fav…love the clothespin advent calendar!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 7:40 am

@Susan – It’s a pretty charming look, isn’t it! I like that sweet DIY peg advent calendar as well!

• Reply Lelanie Slater November 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

Will, that third image is great! I love how the tree has been styled and those little hanging garlands in the back are just too lovely. It has given me some great ideas for my own Christmas tree and decor.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 7:43 am

@ Lelanie – I’m so pleased you like how I styled the brilliant brights tree, it was a lot of fun! Hope you have a great time decorating your own place for the holidays!

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro November 20, 2013 at 7:56 am

Nordic light – of course πŸ˜‰ But honestly I don’t think I will be decorating that much. Some Christmas flowers like hyacinths or amaryllis, moss ornaments and loads of candles and I’m done.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 8:13 am

@Emelie – That sounds like a beautiful and organic approach, I can’t wait to see the results!

• Reply Serena November 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

I adore the third… so brillant, so colorful as I like !
    πŸ™‚
    Serena

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

@Serena – You’ve come to the right place, my friend! Great pick! πŸ™‚

• Reply argone November 20, 2013 at 9:37 am

Lovely ideas for a colourful X-Mas … thank you !

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell November 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Great colourful tree styling Will. I love the calm of Nordic light too. I’m afraid I don’t have much say in the tree decorating, it’s what the kids look forward to most, so will be a mix of everything they throw on – always a joy to watch the excitement, however secretly I’m desperate to move things around πŸ˜‰ x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm

@Geraldine – That sounds like a fun afternoon of family decorating! After all, it’s the family traditions that make this time of year special. I’m sure the tree will look brill, especially with all your late night re-styling! πŸ˜‰ x

• Reply Kate November 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm

At first, I thought ‘how delightfully refined…that shall be my Christmas’. But then I saw the color explosion in the last images and I’m alllll about that πŸ™‚

Kate

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 2:44 pm

@Kate – Hahaha, brilliant! I love them all but having done Candy Cane last year and Brilliant Brights the year before I’m opting for Nordic Light this year!

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} November 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm

oh my gosh what an amazing feature! i love them all, but i think the classic nordic light is my favorite πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm

@Molly – Excellent choice, Nordic Light my fave for this year as well! πŸ™‚

• Reply Gerard @walnutgrey November 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Colour me Christmas Mr Bazaar πŸ˜‰ I do like those Avvento Candle Sticks x

• Reply elisabetta November 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I love the second candy-one !!!

• Reply Anya November 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Lovely feature Will, my money is on the first one:) Here it’s getting cold, and I’m getting in Christmas mood, this helped me with a few ideas to pick – not long now YAY. Axx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm

@Anya – Yay! So pleased you found Nordic Light inspiring, I love it as well! x

• Reply Ana@FluxiOnTour November 21, 2013 at 8:06 am

I go for the nordic light. all the blues and greens. Love!

• Reply Robin November 29, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Where can I get a Christmas tree like the one in your pic?
    I love it it looks like an antique tree.

• Reply carla January 6, 2017 at 4:35 am

very nice ! a good idea for the next year ! lol
    thanx a lot for sharing