BRIGHT.TRAVEL

Oslo’s Magnificent Nature & Charming Colour

oslo-snowy-woods-norwaydagny-will-oslo-norwayfrozen-fallen-leavessparkling-shimmering-frostsnowy-norwegian-woodlandmr-bazaar-will-taylor-in-oslo-norwaycolorful-buildings-in-oslo-norwaycolorful-sights-in-oslo-norwaycolourful-buildings-oslo-norwaybrightly-colored-buildings-in-oslo-norwaythe-mikado-suite-grand-hotel-oslosunset-in-oslo-norwaymr-bazaar-in-oslo-norway-jumping

Hi, sweet friends! I have been itching to blog from the moment I touched down here in Oslo on Friday night: in short, Mr. Bazaar has been totally charmed by the breathtaking nature, striking views and charming colours of this magnificent city. I’m here to speak at Fargerike’s Colour of the Year 2014 conference tomorrow so I’m going to keep this quick in order to get back to practising my presentation! Here are all things I learned and loved about this past weekend in Norway along with some helpful Oslo travel trips:

– Exploring the frozen beach at the edge of the fjords and the cross country skiing forest with my dear and talented friend Dagny before enjoying a cosy home cooked meal at her house.
– Borrowing Dagny’s husband’s super warm coat to keep off the minus eight degree chill!
– The sparkle of the frost in the early morning sunshine.
– Seeing the colours of nature wrapped in their frozen coats.
– Walking through Narnia-like woods where all the trees were encrusted in sparklingly ice blue frost. I loved how the freezing mist rolled in over the top of the trees – so atmospheric.
– Shopping all of the incredible interiors stores in House of Oslo and sharing brunch with Mariska at Villa Paradiso (fyi, totally the best pizza in Oslo!).
– More great pizza can be found at Pizza da Mimmo. (I know, I know, pizza twice in one weekend; I crave carbs at the best of times but even more so when it’s as cold as it is here!)
– If you are in the mood to celebrate in Norway then a glass of bubbles at Champagneria is lovely.
– Enjoyed a tasty coffee at BIT.
– Walking along the roof of the Oslo Opera House as the sun rises offers fantastic views over the city and beautiful golden light.
– Having the opportunity to stay in The Mikado Suite at The Grand Hotel Oslo. The whole suite was decorated using the purple palette from Fargerike’s Colour of the Year 2013 and you can see the whole suite in this post from March.
– Enjoyed photographing all of the traditional and colourful Norwegian buildings, especially the charming little homes in an old village called Kampen, which was engulfed by the city due to urbanisation.
– Watching the amazing colours intensify in the sky during the sunset on Sunday night.

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Naomi Bulger November 25, 2013 at 5:32 am

How absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing these photographs, like a cold, sweet drink on this hot Australian day. Am overwhelmed with travel envy!

• Reply SUZie November 25, 2013 at 7:41 am

This is a winter wonderland dream! Love the picture of you jumping!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 7:44 am

@Suzie – I needed to do something to try and keep warm! πŸ˜‰ And, yes, it really is like a winter wonderland here.

• Reply GEE November 25, 2013 at 7:43 am

Your photos show off the true beauty of winter. I like the light in the into the blue picture.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 7:45 am

@Gee – Thank you! Thank was taken early in the morning on the top of Oslo’s Opera House as the sun was slowly rising.

• Reply Yvestown November 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

I love your photos of Oslo Will!!! I have some really exciting news with you to share about Oslo but I’ll tell you in person on “our day” in London next month.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 8:05 am

@Yvonne – It’s such a great city, isn’t it! I can’t wait to hear your news! x

• Reply Gabrielle November 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

Wonderful photos, Will, the sunset one in particular is amazing! Looks like you’re having a fab, if chilly time πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 9:58 am

@Gabrielle – Thank you! On a clear day the sunsets here are incredible; so much colour inspiration!

• Reply Igor November 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

There’s the inevitable jump. Maybe we should do a jump around the globe sort of blog:-) Just sayin… πŸ™‚

• Reply Lindsey November 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

It’s so funny to see you in a puffy coat like that with spring-colored pants! I love that you rock those colors no matter the temperature. I’m dying to get to Oslo – will be bookmarking these tips! Good luck at the conference!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

@Lindsey – You know me, always rocking my colours! πŸ˜‰ I think you would love it here! x

• Reply Alison November 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Oohhhh *squeal* it looks amazing!!! I’ve never been to Norway but really, really, really want to visit!!! These photos make me so jealous!!!
    x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm

@Alison – I’m so pleased you enjoyed the post. Oslo is an amazing city and I would highly recommend it! πŸ™‚

• Reply tim@designmaze November 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oslo … what a beautiful place! Chris and I will have to map Norway into our next trip to Europe! Love your shots of the colour lineup and you will be fab at the presentation! So proud of you!

see you in a 3 short weeks!
    xo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

@Tim – Thank you, sweet friend! I knew you would like those colourful buildings!

• Reply Rachael @ Feather & Black November 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Absolutely stunning. Really enjoyed pouring over your photos! Oslo is now on my hit list of places to invade. It looks amazing x

• Reply argone November 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Scandinavian cities have such beautiful colours …

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell November 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Hi Will, stunning photos as always, another country on my very long to go list. And to think that Hollywood leap was the highest you could do! πŸ˜‰ Looking forward to seeing you soon. x

• Reply caroline @trend-daily November 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm

How fantabulous MrB! Glad you’ve had the best time-the countryside there is just truly magical isn’t it! Adore the last shot lovely xx

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street November 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Love Oslo, and your pics! They make me want to go back πŸ™‚

• Reply Lina Maria karlsen November 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm

So glad you enjoyed my home town πŸ™‚ I am new to your blog, just found it via Dagny’s instagram account. Love it!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 27, 2013 at 7:23 pm

@Lina – Thank you so much for stopping by, Lina! Off to check out your blog now. πŸ™‚

• Reply Silje December 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm

As always, love your photos and your take on, this time, things familiar! Cannot wait until your book arrives. Oh, and next time go to some proper coffee houses, some are actually getting renowned in the coffeesphere! Here: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/ristretto-coffee-in-oslo/?_r=0

• Reply Ally // digital diva December 16, 2013 at 4:28 pm

LOVE these photos! esp. the colour matching. Sounds like you had a fab trip x

• Reply Claudia January 8, 2014 at 1:48 am

Oh my goodness Will! These are beautiful pictures and I would love to visit and explore Norway! I was in Copenhagen this NYE and fell in love with Scandinavia! We even took a small trip to Malmo, Sweden just for the taste of another northern country, all in the same trip! I’ll make sure to check your tips when I book my flight to Oslo!