Eight Colourful Staircase Design & DIY Ideas

multicolored-staircase-runnercolourful-green-staircase-runner-designpainted-colourful-staircase-steps-diy-ideacolorful-rainbow-staircasespastel-coloured-staircase-idea-designmulticoloured-stripe-staircase-runner-design-ideapink-spiral-staircase-design

After my post a month or so ago on ‘Three Ways To DIY A Colourful Blue Staircase’ lots of lovely readers tweeted and commented asking me to do a post with more colourful staircase design ideas. I love colour and I love quirky, interesting, out-of-the-box staircase designs so it was really fun to pull these eight staircase ideas together for today’s post. When you are looking to design stairs it provides the ideal opportunity to create a wow factor statement in your home. The pink spiral staircase as an example of how shape, form and colour combine forces to create an eye-catching design statement in an open plan modern home, while a colour block green runner paired with polka dot wallpaper results in a playfully preppy scheme in a traditional space. You can even have fun with staircase accessories such as graphic safety gates if you have kids or you could even try painted staircase banisters. I also really like the idea of using multicoloured staircase runners to create a graphic design statement. I think this approach works best when the rest of the space is kept fairly pared back and minimal; pairing brights with whites creates an aesthetically pleasing visual. If staircase runners aren’t your thing, why not try painting the stair faces? You could go for an ombre effect or choose a series of different colours to create a multicoloured look. To really up the colour ante you could paint the whole of each step in a block hue, just as seen in the rainbow brights example above. Which of these colourful and stylish staircase designs do you like best? Have you ever done anything out of the ordinary or colourful with the design of your staircase?

// * Photography by 1. via | 2. Joanna Henderson | 3. Herve Goluza | 4. Bill Kingston | 5. Brit + Co | 6. Polsky Perlstein Architects | 7. Shelterness | 8. Morten Holtum

• Reply Mary Jo November 21, 2013 at 1:13 am

Love the stair runner idea – it also makes the stairs a lot more comfortable!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 21, 2013 at 7:32 am

@Mary Jo – Totally! After all, who doesn’t want to pad down the stairs barefoot on a soft (and colourful!) runner?! 😉

• Reply tim@designmaze November 21, 2013 at 4:29 am

beautiful!! I love a colourful staircase and though I may be more leaning toward leaving the actual staircase either in natural wood tone or striking black & white, I am all for a sensational runner!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of having a mirror right there to reflect the colourful runner … never thought of that but what a fantastic idea!

That vivid green and mod black & white dots … it has got to be one of my all time favourites!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 21, 2013 at 7:31 am

@Tim – Love the idea of creating a striking monochrome statement and then layering in a single accent hue via the runner. And, yes, that mirror is a fab idea! x

• Reply Ana@FluxiOnTour November 21, 2013 at 6:49 am

Oh my gosh all of these DIYs look so cool and so easy. We also have stairs in our apartment but there are covered with carper! Bummer! Wish we could pull it off and I could let my creativity run wild!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 21, 2013 at 7:29 am

@Ana – If you have banisters maybe you could get crafty with the banisters to create a fun colour statement? Good luck!

• Reply Jen@Lovechicliving November 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

Lovely colours and stunning staircases, I love them all. However I have to say that pink spiral is my favourite!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily November 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm

stripey, stripey all the way for me Will! Although-that is a rather gorgeous shade of green!! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm

@Caroline – Isn’t it stunning?! I love the stripes a lot as well! x

• Reply rachie November 21, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Ooh i like them all ! But for us I think the carpeted stripes would look best in our home. Completely love the green with the spotty wall paper as well though!!

Great idea to put a mirror at the bottom of the stairs! The reflection is fab!

Rachie xo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm

@Rachie – I love how it bounces light into the space and reflects the pattern at the same time! x

• Reply chichi furniture November 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

Staircase 3 for me – I love it, a staircase like this would make me want to jump up stairs in happiness each time!

• Reply Jill Noch April 30, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Love stairway #7 with the stripes and the reflection in the mirror. That color palette matches my cottage colors perfectly. Could you tell me where I could order that carpet or runner from? Or give me a design name and number so I could order it from somewhere?

Thanks!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 1, 2014 at 2:13 am

@Jill – Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m not sure on the runner on this occasion, I’m so sorry not to be of more help.

• Reply Decorare le scale con fantasia! Ecco 20 idee per ispirarvi... March 28, 2017 at 4:45 am

[…] fonte foto […]

• Reply 15 idées inspirantes pour décorer les escaliers avec originalité March 16, 2019 at 7:40 am

[…] Source: brightbazaarblog.com […]