First of all I hope all my friends and readers in North America had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration yesterday; it was so fun to see all your festivities via Instagram over here in London. If you are taking time to relax this weekend or looking towards Christmas and holiday celebrations then today’s Bright.Bakes recipe should be ideal. This is such a busy time of year so I always cheat when I make these delicious and oh-so-festive mini mince pies by using ready-made pastry and mincemeat (Shhh! Don’t tell my mum!). Here’s how to make quick and easy mini mince pies:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/400°F/Gas 6 and have a cupcake tin greased and ready.
2. If you like to make your own pastry then you could use this shortcrust pastry recipe, otherwise a 500g pack of readymade shortcrust pastry can be used to save time.
3. Use a cookie cutter to make discs to fit the rounds of your cupcake tin and then use the trimmings to cut out star shapes to top each mini mince pie.
4. Place the pastry discs into the cupcake tin and then spoon in 1 tsp. of mincemeat in each and top with star shape. Finally, brush each star topper with a little cold water.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooled, sprinkle with caster sugar.
I get just as much enjoyment from styling and photographing my Bright.Bakes series as I do actually baking the recipes for the posts. In fact, I felt so inspired after shooting these mini Christmas mince pies that I decided to use two of the pictures for my Christmas cards this year. I discovered that Minted have some really cool designs by independent artists that they let you upload your own pictures to and customise the text. Plus, get this, some of Minted’s holiday card designs come with fancy pants gold foil detailing! Don’t you think that the subtle and stylish gold foil type in my card design works perfectly with the festive food shot? I love how they came out! What are your favourite festive bakes, friends? Do you ever send personalised cards like this? I’d love to hear your seasonal ideas. Have a wonderful weekend and if you make these mini mince pies, please do tag Bright.Bazaar on Instagram as I would be so thrilled to see them!
// Photography by Will Taylor