Travel: Remembering The Colours of Santorini

1-santorini-Oia2-blue-weathered-doors-santorini-greece3-distressed-blue-doors-greece4-traditional-blue-yellow-greek-church-in-santorini5-greek-flag-blowing-in-wind6-colours-of-oia-santorini7-blue-windows-santorini-greece8-homemade-produce-stall-santorini9-traditional-greek-blue-window-shutters10-bright-pink-bouganvilla-santorini-greece11-traditional-buildings-santorini-greece12-donkey-in-santorini-greece13-Amoudi-Bay-fishing-village-santorini14-Amoudi-Bay-fishing-village-santorini-greece15-Amoudi-Bay-fishing-village-santorini-freshly-caught-fish16-will-taylor-bright-bazaar-in-santorini-greece17-weathered-blue-door-close-up-santorini-greece18-colourful-moped-santorini-greece19-santorini-oia-viewpoint

Photography is such a powerful source of inspiration in my life. I’ve found myself increasingly drawn to this form of creativity; there’s something incredibly satisfying about curating the perfect shot. From allowing the natural light to be my guide to framing the subject, all the elements that lead up to the click of the shutter only serve to ingrain that moment in my memory further. That’s why I was thrilled to collaborate with Canon and PIXMA printers, as I wanted to find creative ways to share my Santorini travel memories with you all. Today, in the first of a series of three posts and exclusive videos, I’m inviting you to follow along my colourful adventures and see how the ease of the Canon’s PIXMA Printing Solution app – that can be downloaded to use in conjunction with new PIXMA printers – allow me to print my photos whenever inspiration beckons.

Santorini was unlike any other Greek island I’ve stayed on in the past – yes, the traditional Greek blue colour adorned countless churches, weathered shutters and doors as expected, but nothing could have prepared me for the incredible island views. Santorini is almost horseshoe shaped because of a caldera (caused by the mouth of the volcano collapsing to create a crater of water) and as such you can look back at other parts of the island from almost anywhere. The topography of the dark volcanic island alone is striking, but against the intense mass of still-as-a-millpond dark blue sea, a sky so clear it could be glass and sun-soaked cave houses tumbling down the side of the cliffs, the juxtaposition created is incredibly captivating.

While the much photographed and visited town of Oia was an amazing place, it was taking the road less travelled to smaller, quieter corners of the island that pierced my memories most strongly upon return. One particular highlight was an afternoon spent photographing, swimming and eating at Amoudi Bay. Tucked away at the foot of the northern most tip of the island, this little fishing village is set up to charm your socks off. After diving in for a quick dip you can sip cooling refreshments, while watching the fishermen return with their fresh catches of the day. Brightly coloured boats gently bob around in the clear turquoise waters as your lunch is cooked above open coals in little tavernas right on the water’s edge. As I look back through my photographs I feel as though I can once again hear the lapping of the sea and the smell of the freshly grilled fish. Photography rocks, doesn’t it? Next week I’ll be blogging about bringing these cherished memories into the home via three creative ideas for printing and displaying special photographs at home.

// Photography by Will Taylor | Shot on a Canon EOS 5D Mark III

• Reply Vic @ Cush & Nooks October 30, 2013 at 12:40 am

What a beautiful place, the colours are sublime. You’re a fantastic photographer, Will. I’m really interested in this post as I’m very keen to buy a digital SLR camera to use for my blog work. It’s great to know you use a Canon, so will look into them. And I love the wireless printer and the idea of printing photos anytime. I look forward to your next posts. x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 7:45 am

@Vic – I would 100% recommend getting a digital SLR because as soon as I started shooting with one it really helped take my photographs up a level. x

• Reply Gudy Heder October 30, 2013 at 7:14 am

I have always wanted a printer like this one. Do you know if it works with pictures taken from different cameras such as Iphone too?
    Your pics are breathtaking, Will! Seriously.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 7:43 am

@Gudy – It sure does! The PIXMA Printing Solutions app let’s you print iPhone pictures directly from your phone – really cool! Thanks for the kind words. x

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell October 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

Will, your photos are positively dreamy and amazing. I have never been to Santorini before and these images are most tempting.Great video too, reminds me of our shopping trip to Westelm. Have a lovely day x

• Reply JANE October 30, 2013 at 8:02 am

Will your pictures have a dream-like feel to then that blew me away. And the printer that you used in the video looks so much better than our old one so I have bookmarked it.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 8:04 am

@Jane – I literally spent the whole week I was there photographing so I’m delighted that you enjoying the pictures as much as I did taking them! 🙂 Yes the printer is super cool, especially how you can print remotely; that’s my favourite aspect of it.

• Reply Yvonne / Yvestown October 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

I love your photography Will!! What a beautiful colours and depth you get with a full-frame camera, I love it!! Good that Canon UK is acknowledging the fact that interior bloggers are actually potential product promoters. I gave a presentation to the PR folk of Nikon Europe and they really are into fashion bloggers. So bravo to Canon and their beautiful D-marks!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 8:43 am

@Yvonne – I agree, a full frame camera really does make the difference! Here’s to bloggers! 🙂

• Reply Igor October 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

Beautiful pics as usual, Will! Reminds me I need to travel back to Greece soon. I still claim that Greece is one of the most beautiful Mediterranean countries. Afta! 🙂

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha October 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

Your photos are sublime! I especially love the one of the bougainvillea, contrasted against the white painted home and set against the deep blue sky. Nature is sometimes simply breathtaking.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 9:08 am

@Sarah – Bougainvillea is always catching my eye when I’m photographing and I liked how making something soft in the foreground gave it that extra zing!

• Reply italianbark October 30, 2013 at 9:28 am

These pictures are amazing!!!The depth of colours and the contrast are so beautiful…Santorini beautiful landscape helps a lot I remember such beautiful colors an sunny days from the holidays I had there!!

• Reply argone October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh my God, these colours ! You are very talented, i love your pictures !

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 11:52 am

@Argone – Thank you so much; it helped that the island was so beautiful!

• Reply susan October 30, 2013 at 11:32 am

Gorgeous captures as always Will…and I must say, this post does entice me to buy that Canon printer, AND travel to Santorini. SUCCESS!

• Reply selina Lake October 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Brilliant Post, Great Photography and cool video! I’m a big fan of Canon too X

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

@Selina – Thank you! Me too, I was already sold on their cameras but now I’m totally hooked on the photo printer, too – it’s become a printing addiction! x

• Reply jillian October 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

beautiful photos! santorini is one of my favorite places i’ve ever visited. i randomly think about it months later!! 🙂 you’ll treasure these beautiful photos 🙂 xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

@Jillian – I’m not surprised you keep thinking of it because it really stays with you, doesn’t it? And you are right about treasuring the prints – it’s so nice to actually have proper prints of my photographs displayed at home because otherwise I’d hardly ever look through the pictures again if they were just left on my computer. x

• Reply Laurel (@abubblylife) October 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Beautiful photos!! I love Greece and have not been in a few years now, planning a trip this summer, your photos make me want to go NOW 🙂

• Reply irene October 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I really like that I see photos from our country in your blog! congrats for your blog! Irene, Athens- Greece

• Reply Christina October 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Santorini realy is beautiful and all you need to refill batteries. And you’ve captured such beautiful images!
    Have you ever been to Crete? It may not have the colours of an Aegean island but it so beautiful with all the scenery changes. A great combination of mountains and see!

• Reply Rachie October 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Love your photos! You know we use that 5D camera for shooting video for broadcast. It’s got a lovely filmic effect xx

• Reply Judith October 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Breathtaking! These photos are so beautiful, Will! The octopuses, the donkey, the blues, the whites, the sunlight… and you blend in so well. Photography rocks!

• Reply Jocelyn Casey November 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

My goodness, your photos are spectacular! When there is a Mr. Bazaar Travels Magazine I will be getting a subscription! Splendid post, thank you! Jocelyn

• Reply raina @astylistslife November 4, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Will- It’s stunning and your pics are amazing. I was dying to go there before and now I must make it happen. Perhaps a blogger meet up with you and Igor!
    xR

• Reply Cristina August 5, 2014 at 1:31 am

I am visiting Santorini in late September, your pictures have inspired me so much! Thank you for so much beauty!
    Did you rent scooters when you were there? How dod you travel within the island?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 5, 2014 at 6:55 am

@Santorini – You can rent scooters on the island but we chose to hire a car instead! Have fun!

• Reply Jess December 6, 2014 at 5:33 am

Amazing photos! May I ask if you can recall the whereabouts of the lovely shot of the Bougainvillea on the white home above the blue door was taken? was it a hotel? I am looking to marry in Santorini in 2016 & would love to have some photos in that exact spot 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm

@Jess – Thanks for the kind words. I am so sorry but I can’t remember where the picture was taken; I think it was one of the small towns that lie inland on the island. Good luck and have a wonderful wedding!

• Reply jess December 7, 2014 at 1:51 am

Hi, I just love you photos! can you at all remember where the gorgeous photo of the bougainvillea over the blue door was taken? I would love to have one of my wedding photos taken in that exact spot 🙂 If you can recall the whereabouts or the town ie Oia, fira that would be wonderful 🙂

• Reply jess December 7, 2014 at 1:53 am

Sorry I posted twice, it wasn’t showing my first one when I was checking to see if you replied, Jess