Three Ways To DIY A Colourful Blue Staircase

1-statement-staircases-title2-ombre-staircase-DIY-idea-statement-stairs3-painted-stair-runner-diy-stylish-staircase-idea4-colorful-staircase-blue-diy-stairs-idea5-statement-staircase-outro

I’ve had a life long obsession with the colour blue. Perhaps it’s because it pairs so well with the other apple of my eye, yellow? Either way, this hue really knows how to knock it outta the park with it’s versatile offering of shades, not least when it comes to creating a colourful staircase. The staircase offers us an ideal piece of the home interior real estate to be able to step outside of the box, have bucket loads of fun and create a true style statement in the process. These three ideas each show how you can use paint to DIY a colourful staircase – and each with different results.

Up first we see how using white undertones to lighten the shade of blue you paint on each stair face. For best results keep the surrounding palette pared-back and neutral and be sure to start with the darker shades at the base and work up to lighter shades as the stairs rise – this will draw the eye upwards creating the illusion of extra space. The second look is shows how a simple painted runner can lift a plain white stairway from boring to brilliant! This example also shows how a refreshing shade of baby blue creates a colourful vibe without impacting on the light and airy feel of the space. The third painted staircase is similar to the first DIY idea in that it focuses on the stair fronts but differs in that it alternatives between four shades of blue to create a striking and graphic look. Which of these DIY painted statement staircases do you like best? Have you done anything unusual with the design of your stairs?

// Photography by 1. Jonny Valient | 2. Apartment Therapy | 3. Jonathan Adler

• Reply jillian October 15, 2013 at 1:49 am

i LOVE blue! these staircases are gorgeous. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2013 at 8:00 am

@Jillian – Aren’t they stunning? Blue is such a versatile hue that I think it lends itself well to a host of different staircase DIY solutions. x

• Reply Andi October 15, 2013 at 2:08 am

Love this!

• Reply Vic @ Cush & Nooks October 15, 2013 at 2:44 am

I’m right there with you as a fellow blue lover. My fave stairs are the ombre ones. I wish I had stairs as I often see great ways to dress them up x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2013 at 8:00 am

@Vic – Me too, I’m longing to let me DIY spirit free on a staircase of my own! x

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro October 15, 2013 at 8:27 am

They are all very nice, but if I had a staircase of my own I would do as on pic 2 but with that rope from pic 3 πŸ˜‰

• Reply Anya October 15, 2013 at 9:30 am

Love the ombre staircase – so cool. Blue blue i love you πŸ˜‰
    Happy day Will,
    ax

• Reply Julie October 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love the middle one – so bright, yet also soothing. I’m kind of obsessed with painted floors etc at the moment, so these are great inspiration.

• Reply Rachael Jones October 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Love the painted runner- so simple yet so stunning. Such an easy way to create a feature of your entrance hall! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply owls house london. October 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

after my own heart – blue and yellow! these are such fun – i love the pale blue panited runner πŸ™‚

• Reply susan October 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’m actually working in painting a runner to our playroom now…love it! There are so many possibilities, and paint so quickly and affordably transforms a space.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm

@Susan – I can’t wait to see what you come up with! And, yes, paint is such a great decorating element to relatively affordably switch up a design.

• Reply Jess October 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Love! Especially the blue ombre staircase!

• Reply argone October 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm

great ideas ! never thought staircases could be that fun πŸ˜€

• Reply Lesllie-Anne October 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

The ombre staircase is perfect.

• Reply Lucy @ decorenvy.co.uk October 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I really thought you were calling us ‘Best Friends’ then! πŸ˜‰

• Reply chichi furniture October 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I just love this. So clever to make such a fantastic feature out of the staircase. I think the ombre staircase gets my vote, although I do think they’re all great :O)