Decorating One Room Three Ways Using Lighting

lamps-plus-color-plus-collection-purple-table-lamp-1lamps-plus-color-plus-collection-blue-table-lamplamps-plus-color-plus-collection-red-table-lamplamps-plus-color-plus-collection

I’ve been looking forward to writing this post because this Instagram I took inside the Los Angeles Lamps Plus showroom was one of the most popular Instagrams I took during Blog Tour L.A.! Not only did I find the wonderfully exotic colours of L.A. inspiring as I wondered around the city, but also in the designs I saw during the trip.

Naturally my colour-loving eye was drawn to the new Colour Plus collection by Lamps Plus. I think it was a spot on idea to match the colours of the lamps – there are over 100 colour options in the range – to well known brands such as Pantone and Sherwin Williams. This makes it easier to get colour choices right when choosing a bright piece for a new or existing scheme because you will know the exact colour the lamp will be. Pretty cool, right? I made a fun little gif to show how you can mix and match the shape and size of the lamp base in various colours with a range of plain and graphic patterned shades. (Gifs are so fun – any excuse!) Plus, I was keen to share these three images as they really show the power of decorating with lighting in an interior design scheme. They show how switching up the colour of a table lamp and letting that be the reference point for the accent colours across the rest of the space can totally switch up the feel of the room. I really like how the purple table lamp sits alongside the cheerful yellow accents – what a winning colour combo! Do you have any colourful lamps in your home? How do you like to decorate with lighting?

// Photography by Lamps Plus

• Reply SUE October 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

The animations you put on here make me smile every time I see a post with them!

• Reply DELLA October 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

We just decorated our snug in a purple and yellow color palette and that lamp would be a perfect fit for it. Thank you!!

• Reply BJ October 17, 2013 at 7:57 am

It’s good when they mix the pattterned shades with the block color bases.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 17, 2013 at 8:01 am

@BJ – Totally, that’s what initially caught my eye about this bright collection.

• Reply BEA October 17, 2013 at 8:00 am

Bookmarking Lamps Plus for my new client because we’re doing a colorful remodel on her living room right now. She’s going to love this post.

• Reply Italianbark October 17, 2013 at 8:41 am

more than 100 colour options for a lamp?? I will immediately take note of it!!

• Reply arianna October 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

This post made me happy – as do all of your posts πŸ˜‰ I love the animation – check out those colours! x

• Reply Anya October 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

I have a serious sofa crush here (if I had no kids haha) Love the different styles of rooms, fab what a difference colour & lamp can make – my money is on the blue or even vibrant red room. Great happy post on a grey Autumn day Will. Have fun, Axx

• Reply Rebecca Engels October 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

I love them all, but think I am even more impressed with your gif technique than the lamps. All the room sets look great and I’m definitely going to check out these lamps for my next project. Rebecca.

• Reply Karolina Barnes October 17, 2013 at 11:49 am

I absolutely love these lamps! Great for interior designers like me, it makes our job so much easier with the right products. I’m on a search for similar lamps in the UK but it’s not easy within reasonable price. Does any company offer these here? Do you know?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

@Karolina – The good news is that Lamps Plus are hoping to expand into the UK market in the next couple of years – yay! In the meantime, I think BHS and John Lewis offer a good selection of varied lighting styles on the UK high street at reasonable prices. Hope that helps.

• Reply Inge @ SimplyFabulousCHic October 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Wow, so many colours!!! Pretty eye candy to make a grey day go away… πŸ™‚ I’d love me a pink lamp for my future home office, although my husband wouldn’t approve of that but what the heck… I’m in charge when decorating our home! LOL! Thanks for sharing these pretty coloured lamps, love them!! x

• Reply chichi furniture October 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Wow, same room yet so different with the different colours – great example. My fav is the red, I love red in rooms, its really bold and fun. I agree that lighting is so crucial in a room. You can decorate and furnish a room beautifully, but if the lighting is wrong it can totally fail to make an impact. I love lamps as they are often the icing on the cake and as seen above great features/focal points.

• Reply Feather & Black October 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Seems like an excellent way to brighten up a room, if perhaps your current decor is a little lack-luster!

• Reply Igor October 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I’d go for the blue theme – with those patterns it has almost a Greek vibe to it!

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell October 17, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Such an amazing post Will, so brilliantly done. Love the gif. Can’t wait for Lamps Plus to make it across to Europe. x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm

@G – Thank you! The gif took me such a long time but it was worth it, I think! Ditto, can’t wait for Lamps Plus to be in the UK. x

• Reply Robin Horton October 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Will, I am long overdue in telling you how much I enjoyed meeting you at BlogTour London last year, but also that your always colorful posts and shares always brighten my day and offer inspiration. I love this post and especially your cool animated gif!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm

@Robin – You warm and generous words really do mean a lot, thank you. I’m so pleased you enjoyed this post and thank you for reading! πŸ™‚

• Reply Rhiannon October 18, 2013 at 12:02 am

The gif is a clever idea – what a lot of interesting combos . I remembered that pic from Instagram so it’s nice to learn a bIt more about those lamps . Now that we are heading into the winter , lamps seem the most important decorative item .

• Reply Amy Wax October 18, 2013 at 3:05 am

Love the colorful accents making the room! Clearly the accent colors in these rooms are more important that the neutral colors of the walls and furniture. Well done in accentuating the value of the accent color!

• Reply Andrew Bradford August 6, 2015 at 9:23 am

Very interesting mixture of colors and patterns!
    Will take some note for sure.