BRIGHT.LIFE

Bright.Bakes: How To Make Spiderweb Cupcakes

spidersweb-cupcakes-halloween-cakecracked-eggshalloween-spiderweb-cupcakes-ingredientsfilling-cupcake-casescutting-fondant-icing-in-circlestrimming-the-top-of-cupcakeshalloween-spiderweb-cupcake-toppingspidersweb-cupcakes-cobweb-cakes-halloweencobweb-cupcakes-spiderweb-cakes-halloweenspiderweb-cupcakes

I can’t tell you how much I love doing these Bright.Bakes posts. I find it so rewarding to conceptualise each bake and to consider how it will all transpire here on Bright.Bazaar after I’ve baked, styled and shot the bake. I hope you guys enjoy reading them as I much as I do pulling them together. Truth be told I’ve not decorated our flat for Halloween this year so it was fun to get into the spirit of the event by baking these spooky spiderweb cupcakes! They are really easy to make but (I think!) look really effective; ideal for both kids and adult Halloween parties. Have you made any special Halloween cupcakes before? I’d love to hear your ideas. Here’s how to make 15 Halloween spiderweb cupcakes:

1. Cream together the sugar and margarine until fluffy and light. Then gradually add the beaten eggs as you continue to mix. Finally add the flour and mix throughly.
2. Spoon mixture into each cupcake case so that it is half full and bake at 180Β°C/Gas Mark 4 for 15-20 minutes or until risen and golden.
3. While the cupcakes cool on a wire rack you can roll out the orange fondant icing to 3-4mm thick and then use a circular cutter to create circle shapes.
4. Once cooled you can place the fondant circles on top of each cupcake and then squeeze three circles of black icing in gradually smaller circles towards the centre. To create the spiderweb effect, pull out from the centre to the edge of the cupcake with a skewer.

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply geraldine October 25, 2013 at 12:33 am

Wow! They look amazing. The shots are all so beautifully styled too. Love your blue mixing bowl. Is that beautiful black plate from Kelly Wearstler? I’m going to show this to J so she can bake these Halloween treats for her friends. x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 25, 2013 at 7:56 am

@Geraldine – Yep, that’s the one! It worked perfectly. Thanks for the kind words. Let me know in little J does make them! x

• Reply Vic @ Cush & Nooks October 25, 2013 at 4:35 am

My girls would love these, you are so clever! πŸ™‚ x

• Reply gudy heder October 25, 2013 at 7:29 am

So the Kelly Wearstler plate found a perfect place. A true visual feast the entire post, Will. Happy weekend!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 25, 2013 at 7:52 am

@Gudy – Yes! I was looking for the perfect prop while styling it and then the plate just caught my eye and it came to me! x

• Reply caroline @trend-daily October 25, 2013 at 7:56 am

Mr B! Is this the beginnings of a bright bakes book?? How fab are your shots with super duper camera! Just lovely xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

@Caroline – Yikes! Not finished my first book yet! Thanks for the nice words about the shots! x

• Reply Lindsey October 25, 2013 at 8:23 am

Stunning job! Any leftovers for Monday?? πŸ™‚

• Reply tina @ coLourliving October 25, 2013 at 8:27 am

I LOVE the BB emblem… your styling and photography is glorious. Loving all the colours. I’m with Caroline….a second book?

Happy weekend Mr Bazaar x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 25, 2013 at 8:36 am

@Tina – Thanks so much, it was really fun to pull this post together! x

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro October 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m not a fan of Halloween and I don’t use to celebrate it at all, but there cupcakes look very cute and irresistible πŸ˜‰
    Have a nice weekend! xx

• Reply Serena October 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

You make look everything so simple! I’m not a great cook but I will try πŸ™‚

• Reply Ferren October 25, 2013 at 11:49 am

Will, what camera do you use??? Your shots are always so nice! x

• Reply susan October 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

They look delicious, and this is such a beautifully curated post, as always Will!

• Reply Tim@Designmaze October 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm

OMG … this may well be the most fun Halloween treat I have ever seen! I am so not the Halloween person … usually go straight to Christmas, but this may inspired me to try some baking at home this weekend!

Always love seeing how you combine your passion for design and baking into your Bright.Bake series! The photos and of course the styling are absolutely done to perfection!

Now a question for you: how do you stay so slim with all these delicious baked goodies?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm

@Tim – Thanks, Mr! I have to swim everyday to keep slim – yikes! x

• Reply Raina @astylistslife October 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Will- they look great! hmm I think Romi (my personal baker) will have to make those this weekend.
    x r

• Reply argone October 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

very nicely done ! congrats !

• Reply anya October 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

You’re so smart – and I LOVE these little spiderweb cupcakes. The girls would go nuts πŸ™‚ Happy weekend Will, hope you have a lovely one and don’t eat all these beauts at once.
    Axx

• Reply Alison October 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I love Halloween & I love how cute these cupcakes are!

Boo!
    (did I scare you?)
    x

• Reply bella October 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Orange, red, pink.. love it!