Fall Transition Ideas From A Swedish Kitchen

swedish-kitchen-ikeacanning-ideassmaland-swedish-traditionsblueberries-being-drainedikea-step-stool-painted-ideasikea-bottle-ideasfall-kithcen-canning-traditions

Last fall I was lucky enough to visit IKEA’s global HQ in Småland, Sweden and go behind the scenes of the IKEA catalogue. Ever since that visit I’ve been fascinated with how the brand styles and shoots their lifestyle imagery. I try and spot the studio areas I visited to see if I might have stood where the shot is or see if I can work out how they pulled a shot together. The truth is, I’m beaten every time because the team create the most inspiring scenes that strike just the right balance between aspirational and achievable. This story is a nod to the company’s Swedish roots, particularly to the province of Småland which is where IKEA started. (You can check out a bunch of interesting stats in this IKEA infographic I made after my visit!). As part of the transition into fall and to prepare for the icy Swedish winter in the countryside, Smålanders would get together to preserve their harvest right at the end of the summer. This has totally inspired me to attempt to can and preserve some locally grown ingredients of my own – it would be a really rewarding weekend activity, don’t you think? Do you have any fun plans, friends? Have a brilliant and colourful one!

// Photography by IKEA

• Reply Pretty dandy August 30, 2013 at 12:16 am

What gorgeous shots they have taken! I’d love to visit Scandinavia one day too!

• Reply Vic @ Cush & Nooks August 30, 2013 at 12:18 am

What beautiful images, Will. I have to admit I get zero enjoyment from being in the kitchen! I’m OK at cooking – I get plenty of practice as I have 3 hungry kids to feed, but I won’t be joining you in preserving anything 🙂

We’re heading into Spring on this side of the world, and I’m so excited. Spring and Autumn are favourite seasons. x

• Reply susan August 30, 2013 at 1:16 am

Ooh, fall! I don’t really have any transitional traditions, but would love to start some. Bon weekend Will!

• Reply Amy @ Milo and Mitzy August 30, 2013 at 1:30 am

Yes I am inspired to preserve this year too Will. Dont those jars of preserves look fantastic?

Amy x

• Reply tim@Designmaze August 30, 2013 at 5:57 am

lovely, cozy garden kitchen! These folks at IKEA are just so creative. So jealous you got to see how all these happened behind the scenes.

Can’t wait to read about what you have preserved this weekend. Have a top one friend!

• Reply holly {Avenue Lifestyle} August 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

How fun to go behind the scenes with the Ikea creative team, Will! So not ready to think about autumn/winter, but these pics do inspire. Love the wholesome feel about them 🙂 Have a lovely weekend, Holly

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro August 30, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’ve never heard the word smålanders before, love it! 😉 My granny used to preserve veg, fruits aand berries like this. It’s very nice but it takes a lot of time! I use to try to make some jam, that’s quite enough for me 😉

• Reply Rob @ Antiques World August 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Amazing quality photo’s! Really well designed and composed 🙂

• Reply Jocelyn Casey August 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I just bought sweet potatoes, does that count as a transition into FALL? LOL! I have to say, the Fall season is my favorite in the kitchen with all the lovely spices and yummy soups that can be created 🙂 Ikea always does a great job giving customers inspiration to create their own authentic interiors. Thank you for sharing 🙂 Have a great weekend.

• Reply Anya August 30, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I lurve it Will, and it’s the same here, back in the day they’d get together and salt the fish (to last all winter) make pickles, preserves, jams and that. How smart. I just made my first batch of blackberry jam – utterly scrumptious – and so easy to do. I was astounded I could do it. Happy weekend and thanks for sharing more amazing Ikea 😉

• Reply captain dapper August 30, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I definitely find myself getting ready to nest for fall and winter. I love see how the Swedes do it. Now bring on the fall harvest – I’m ready to start canning!

• Reply Ana August 31, 2013 at 5:09 am

A good country kitchen never gets old. My kitchen needs an up date so badly. But as a renter it’s not easy. At least I can do some preserving without permission. ,)

• Reply Paula August 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Fun plans? Sure!
    I’m designing fabrics.
    No need to warn you on how addictive that is. 🙂

• Reply teresa August 31, 2013 at 8:46 pm

love the colors!!! i ease into fall with the last bit of fresh berries over crusty baguette and goat cheese!!!

• Reply geraldine September 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Beautiful photos Will, and what a lovely tradition this is as a transition to fall. Looking forward to seeing what you prepare. Have a good week x

• Reply Serena September 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm

All lovely! <3

• Reply Harri September 10, 2013 at 7:48 am

I just love the colors of fall.