BRIGHT.LIFE

DIY: Thornback & Peel Screenprinting Class

screenprinting-thornback-and-peelthornback-and-peel-screenprintingscreenprinting-workshop-thornback-and-peelthornback-and-peel-screenprinted-bunny-cushionthornback-and-peel-screenprinted-rabbit-cushion

Followers of Bright.Bazaar on Instagram may remember this image I posted a few weeks back. Well, it was taken at a screenprinting class with the owners of Thornback & Peel, Juliet Thornback and Delia Peel. It was such a joy to be a part of this magical evening and I can’t think Juliet and Delia enough for being such warm and generous hosts. Their journey to starting Thornback & Peel is certainly an inspiring one: they launched their first collection of handprinted clutch bags in 2003 while still in their day jobs as a florist (Thornback) and theatre designer (Peel), by 2006 they had a studio space at Cockpit Arts, London and a year later they established Thornback & Peel, which now creates beautiful screen-printed homewares. I’m a big fan of their design approach that celebrates the quirkiness of British humour and design, and love how my bunny cushion turned out! What do you think of Bertie, friends?

// Photography by Will Taylor and Rumour PR

• Reply susan April 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

Oh Bertie is fabulous!! So fun!

• Reply Sarah April 25, 2013 at 3:12 am

I Love Bertie!! This looks like a lot of fun, and I always love hearing about businesses started by everyday folks that found success and are now doing what they love. It’s a lovely reminder that starting your own business can indeed be an attainable dream.
    Xo
    S
    AtticLace

• Reply tim@designmaze April 25, 2013 at 3:28 am

love it! I thought you did the fish print … guess it was a bunny one after all. so jealous, you know how much I love polka dot + bunny! your version is just so fun and stylish … of course i wouldn’t expect anything less from you MR!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 25, 2013 at 7:22 am

@Tim – We were able to make two! If you look closely as th two smaller shots you can see Bertie being made! It was so fun! 🙂

• Reply Emelie @svenskablomsterbloggar.se April 25, 2013 at 7:54 am

Bertie is just too cute! I love the combination blueish/miniy dots and the black and white print. Bertie is a really lucky bunny, living in your yellow sofa, surrounded by christmas trees 😉 Nice woody theme!

• Reply Geraldine April 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

What a wonderful opportunity. Love the cushion. x

• Reply jo April 25, 2013 at 9:07 am

We did it in art class at school and the other night at WI we learned to do lino printing. Loved this new craft.
    Bertie is beautiful
    Jo x

• Reply James Booker April 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

I adore the carp, kudos on the detailing.

I LOVED screen printing when I was taking my art & design degree, I find that it’s something that has a real knack to it and each and every print can hold treasures and have their own little inconsistencies.

I’d love to start screen printing again, you’ve fueled my desire now!

• Reply Julie Les Miniboux April 25, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Bertie looks great !

• Reply Richard Frost April 25, 2013 at 5:50 pm

How much fun! Reminds me of school art classes.

• Reply sofa.com April 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Fab job, Will! As you know we’re huge fans of Thornback & Peel – a great British brand and recent collaborators in our Design Lab. Love seeing what goes on behind the scenes!

• Reply latteLisa April 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm

That looks like such a fun class!
    Bertie is just the cutest and I like his dots too ; – )

• Reply mel April 26, 2013 at 5:22 am

How sweet is Bertie! Such a great idea to take a class like that and make something for the home. LOVE! M x

• Reply tim@designmaze April 26, 2013 at 5:27 am

indeed! I did a screen print fun with Alanna before Christmas last year. .. most certainly fun! Love your bunny Mr … and of course the polka dot!

• Reply nancy April 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Love this bunny pillow. I was a silkscreen artist years ago, so this brings back wonderful memories! Hope you loved it.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

• Reply Valentina May 17, 2013 at 9:56 am

It’s fabulous! Such a funny workshop! And the pillow is very very nice!