Sweet Paul: A Blue Christmas

Blue rocks. Period. I’ve always been a fan of this versatile hue; I’ve used it in my clothing and decor choices for years – even my car is blue! However, it wasn’t until a few years ago when I discovered just how fantastic the colour can be when used as the anchor point for a festive decorating scheme. Each year my main tree (yes, Mr.B loves Christmas decorating so much that he has more than one tree…!) is now decorated with a Nordic blue colour scheme. So, I was delighted that the Holiday issue of Sweet Paul included a Christmas story based around the very same palette. Styled and photographed by Germany-based Dietlind Wolf, the spread inspired me to add some new elements to my own decorating scheme this year. I especially love how Dietlind combined ice blue and winter teal hues with frost and rust accents, which work really well to break up the palette. As well as this beautiful story, you can also see my market pages, a travel piece on Munich and my recurring Will’s Picks feature, which gives hints, tips and inspiration for creating a Nordic White Christmas scheme. I always love working on Holiday issues (even if it is during summer!) but it’s even better to enjoy reading the issue cover to cover once all the hard work is done. Now I can start to think about starting this year’s seasonal decorating! Tell me, do you use any blue in your festive decor?
// Craft, styling & photography by Dietlind Wolf | Sweet PaulΒ | Paint splash

• Reply Susan November 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

Delightful, can't wait to devour it!

• Reply Sara @ ZaharaDessert November 16, 2012 at 12:28 am

Just stunning! I wish I could have everything on this post! Love it = Thanks

• Reply Ashleigh November 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

I love blue as a Christmas theme….always have! Would love to see a few peeks into your – surely – fabulous Christmas!

xx Ashleigh

• Reply Julia November 16, 2012 at 1:33 am

beautiful! i'm listening to Christmas music right now!

• Reply Maureen Stevens November 16, 2012 at 3:04 am

ahhh, I am in love with that guy…genius! blue + sparkly is so festive, just understated elegance!

• Reply Michelle November 16, 2012 at 4:56 am

My favourite combo – last year my tree had only ice blue and silver decos on it and I loved it. Really matched our hot Aussie summers with that colour pallete. This year however I want to mix it up a bit but not sure what extra colours to mix with it – I was going to go lime green and hot pink. What do you think?

• Reply she. November 16, 2012 at 5:14 am

I love blue for a Christmas colour .

• Reply Hege November 16, 2012 at 6:39 am

She's great! Love it! The tree in the last photo is fab!
    You make me laugh, my main tree.. what a cool idea having several trees.
    Great issue too. hx

• Reply Sofia November 16, 2012 at 6:56 am

Beautiful! I never thought blue could look so..christmassy..

• Reply obat kanker payudara November 16, 2012 at 7:35 am

• Reply Meghan @ Wishful Thinking November 16, 2012 at 7:37 am

One of my favourite Christmas styling features… EVER! Blue is also one of my favourites (so much so that I also have a blue car! Ha!). My tree is usually a mixture of different colours but I think I might take a leaf out of your book and do more than one!

• Reply Brooke November 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Stunning, as always my friend! xo

• Reply Lost In Cheeseland November 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

Gorgeous feature on Munich, I SO want to go!

• Reply Anya adores β˜† November 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

AHH I love this colour – my mother in law used it last year on her tree, it is so cool.
    Must be on the lookout for something shiny, and something blue;-)
    Happy weekend Will,
    Ax

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair November 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

I have never used blue in mu festive decorating but might give it a try this year!!
    Happy Weekend sweetie
    Rachie xo

• Reply WeHeartHome November 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Also never went with blue, although you make a very strong point for it here! This Christmas will be interesting for me since it will be the first time in three years (since we moved to Germany) that we will have a TREE! Every year before that we were back in Canada for Christmas so there was no need to have one here. But this year we will, and we have no decorations so we have to make some decisions about the colour scheme. I do love a blank slate πŸ™‚ Will keep the blue in mind. Thanks for the inspiration!

πŸ™‚ Holly.

• Reply Amy - Pride of Place November 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have to admit – I love the traditional Christmas colour scheme when it comes to decorating my own tree, I think that has to do with memories of Christmas when I was young. But that's not to say I don't love other christmassy colour pallets. I particularly love the rust accents with the ice blue, as well as providing contrast it give a lovely warm hint.

• Reply Gloria November 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Oooh I'm loving this color scheme for the holidays! Love that you have more than one Christmas tree at home – does that mean you get more presents?? πŸ™‚

• Reply Birch + Bird November 17, 2012 at 4:07 am

I love this! Blue hasn't always been my favourite Christmas hue but the vintage vibe from this shoot is amazing, as are those ice cube ornaments! ~Lily

• Reply Torie Jayne November 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Loving all the vintage blue decorations!

• Reply Redlilocks {Swoon Worthy} November 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I loved seeing this feature in Sweet Paul, the blue hues are gorgeous! I decided that this year I was going to do turquoise, gold, white and leopard print. Now whether I can pull it off will be another matter altogether. Fab inspiration πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Mandy @ At Home November 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

This is great! Now it's time to get my Christmas color scheme together…and make some of those geometric pieces too!

• Reply Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating December 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’m a huge blue fan too. My tree scheme is blue with some white and silver ornaments as well, and red cranberries. I’m trying to accumulate mostly blue blown glass ornaments. Right now the tree is somewhat bare, but all the non-blue/silver/white ornaments that I own are not making their way on my tree right now!