Tablescape 101: A Nautical Supper

What better way to celebrate the season than with a BBQ and Seafood party? We took this party outdoors, keeping the focus on the feast: a simple table setting with a few DIY elements created a inviting and relaxing ambiance for the guests. The nautical design was inspired by the Vernazza plates from Anthropologie, which led to covering the table with a cotton fabric in cool blue and aqua shades.  Fig.2 Design dip-dyed monogram cards to make placecards in aqua and cobalt which were stuck onto navy striped place mats before a starfish was added to finish. Using clear glass dinner plates allowing the patterns and colours to be visible, making the most of these DIY elements. Continuing the DIY theme, napkins were quickly transformed by stamping basic white linen napkins with an anchor stamp and fabric paint. For the centerpiece, we wrapped jute rope around tin paint buckets and place fragrant herbs like lemon thyme and basil inside them. This brought an invigorating, summertime fragrance to the table. Cobalt tumblers made from recycled materials added a punch of solid colour, whilst paper boats, coral and sailing knots added playful seaside decor elements to the table. Happy grilling! – Manvi

// Photography & styling by Manvi-Drona-Hidalgo | Stationery by Fig. 2 Design Studio | Market Picks: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

• Reply Tim July 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

so much fun!! this nautical tablescape is perfect for a midsummer evening dinner party! Love the anchor on those napkin and the personal touches on the place cards! Rope on the vases and blue/white checker table cloth, I have done something similar too!

• Reply Michelle July 20, 2012 at 12:20 am

I love the rustic beach look. My kitchen is being extended so Iv moved our dining table outside and if anything it makes me go even more overboard on the decor. Candles and vases look gorgeous on the table, even if its just for a bbq, you can never have enough ambient candlelight and pretty things 🙂

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

I'm with you on this, Michelle. When it come to al fresco dining it's all about the atmosphere – the more candles and soft lighting, the better!

• Reply Eleni July 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

The setting smells of sea! Love the idea, it is a great fit for a summer gathering 'round the table!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

I agree! Beachside living and entertaining at this time of year feels so good for the soul!

• Reply go-electrical.co.uk July 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love this theme. This is perfect for an outdoor midsummer party – it reeks of adventure, fun, and fresh seafood! The plates with the blue fish in the centre is just cracking.

• Reply Caron's Beach House July 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

So pretty-glad to have discovered your blog! I am all about the beach and enjoying all of the treats of summer on the coast. Nice to meet you.

Caron

• Reply Priti July 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

WOW, super cool idea for party at the beaches or at cruise. The fish looks so cute. Thanks for sharing this pretty interesting idea. 🙂

• Reply garigatos July 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I adore them! Can you tell me where's the seven pic from? I don't see the number with the link. Thanks!

• Reply heronkady July 21, 2012 at 1:55 am

I love your blog!
    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a month. Join the club today. Just click -> http://www.saversclub.us

• Reply katieokeefeblog July 21, 2012 at 2:55 am

I love this! And are those anchors stamped on the napkins? I love how faint they are. Those Anthropologie dishes and the invitations with the fabric bunting are wonderful. This is great inspiration – thanks for sharing!

• Reply mikky July 21, 2012 at 5:22 am

You really put a lot of work into this table setting! I've been seeing a lot of DIYS with rope lately so I am looking at it in a whole different way now. Such nice ideas.
    🙂
    mikky

• Reply Jessie July 23, 2012 at 12:31 am

How fabulous are those invites? They are so fun!

Jessie