Store Tour: Kerbisher & Malt, London

Replicate It items: Chair | Pendant | Type stickers
I’ve driven past this Fish & Chip restaurant in West London a few times, always thinking to myself how awesome the interior looked from the street. Last night I was browsing the entries for the Restaurant and Bar Design Awards and I as soon as I happened upon the entry for Kerbisher & Malt I knew it looked familiar. Designed by Alexander Waterworth Interiors, the space has a utilitarian and industrial feel to it. This atmosphere is created by the wall of subway tiles, fisherman lanterns and Tolix stools. My favourite detail is the typographical menu created with wall stickers on the wall of subway tiles. The blue exterior is pretty rockin’ as well. What do you like about this space?
// Restaurant and Bar Design Awards | Alexander Waterworth Interiors

• Reply Pinecone Camp May 17, 2012 at 3:41 am

That's a great looking space! Love the menu plastered on with decals on the tiles. Great idea.

• Reply ESIInteriors May 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

I like the brickbond white tiles- have some in my kitchen.

• Reply Gild and Grace May 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

This is a great space Will! Love the subways and those great stools 🙂

Abbey x

• Reply Helena - A Diary of Lovely May 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I love the tile! and you know what I have never had fish and chips, so that might be the place

• Reply Julia May 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm

love the subway tile + grey grout! (we're preparing for tiles in our house so I see it everywhere 🙂 ) also like how the wood tones soften the industrial look. very nice!

• Reply elisa May 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

oh, the traditional blue exterior is gorgeous, and the elaborate logo with the other type. grey & white tolix is so nice. i'll look out for it. x

• Reply Sarah Roads May 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Freaking love it! Perfect chippy design. You make me miss London so much. xo

• Reply Mary Middleton Design May 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Great design. Really want fish & chips now! I put vintage tolix stools in a cafe design last year, they work so well, although getting your hands on vintage ones is really tricky now. Thankfully you can get new ones from France but lead time is looooonnnggg.

thanks for sharing Will:)

• Reply Igor Josifovic May 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I think it is about time for me to get to London again! So many cool places are waiting!!

• Reply Uncle Beefy May 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Isn't it amazing, Igor, that no matter how much one travels (and we know how much you travel! So lucky!) that there are always cool places to be found? 😉

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar May 17, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Time for a little London meet up I think, chaps! 🙂

• Reply Renee (eatliveshop.com) May 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Love the design! It totally suits the seafood!

• Reply Uncle Beefy May 17, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Love it, Will! Such a great spot and the perfect precursor to lunchtime! 🙂

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair May 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Do you know that when we drove past this the other week (on the way to westfield in the car) I took a pic of this too! Love the retro styling! xx

• Reply blue roses May 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

i love the juxtaposition of textures…. cool and smooth tiles with the warmer, grained wood. the light fixtures connote old mining aesthetics, and really add an interesting flair.

would love to eat here!

• Reply Alexander Waterworth Interiors May 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply Sacred and Profane Designs May 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love the exterior! Great blue colour, great lamps and elegant logo!

• Reply BODIEandFOU concept store May 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

it's in Brook Green, 5 min from where I live!
    Cool place, we used to go there quite often when it opened until I worked out the no of calories in fish & chips…sorry dont want to spoil for everyone….
    I highly recommend the place anyway, their fish is fantastic!

• Reply Anna-Caroline {Design Studio 210} May 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

It does look like a lovely place to visit.

• Reply Hege Sletsjøe Morris May 19, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Love this place!

• Reply Jessie May 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I am also drawn to the subway tiled wall with the menu typography. What an awesome idea!

Jessie