Uncategorized

How to Moodboard by Holly Becker

On Sunday I hotfooted my way to Anthropologie on the King’s Rd in South Kensington to listen to Holly Becker, Leslie Shewring and Abigail Ahern share their tips for creating inspiring and functional mood boards. Holly kicked off proceedings by sharing the context of the moodboard she was creating for us: it wasn’t a specific, room-focused board that a designer would do for a client. Rather, this was going to be an example of a board you could create to help focus your creative energy and inspirations for decorating. Taking a painting from a trip to Istanbul as her starting point, Holly then added fabrics, tear sheets from magazines, buttons, colour swatches and other materials that tied into the scheme inspired by the piece, to the board. Leslie suggested it was a good idea to have a ‘mini board’ that you could carry around with you when shopping to remind you of the exact colours and textures you liked – Holly even had an example to show the group. Even though I was in the middle of a cold, I had a great time and thought it was a fantastic event! Do you make many moodboards when decorating at home? What works well for you?

• Reply Igor September 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Fantastic:-) two of my favorite bloggers united! Love!!

• Reply ChantaleP September 27, 2011 at 12:20 am

What a great opportunity to meet each other! Can I just say, you must be one of the most photogenic peeps out there? I love the fabric letters on her mood board! And the colours are fantastic. What a great event.. You two look fab-u-lous.

• Reply Anna@MyDesignEthos September 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

I can't wait until I have an office to create a massive inspiration board. Although I create room boards all the time on my computer, it's not quite the same as the tactile sensation of a creative board like Holly's.

• Reply lisaroyhandbags September 27, 2011 at 4:28 am

What a great day that would have been! There's nothing like a tactile mood board- so much better than one on the computer!

• Reply Allison Egan September 27, 2011 at 5:09 am

I make boards but I love the idea of a mini-board that is portable! Textures are so important and just cant always be captured digitally.

xo Allison
    Spicer + Bank

• Reply meemers September 27, 2011 at 5:38 am

How fun! I totally wanted to go to that, but not being in the UK it made it a little tough… I'm only a little jealous πŸ™‚
    I think mood boards are fab, I carried swatches around in my handbag when I was planning my wedding

• Reply STYLIZIMO September 27, 2011 at 6:22 am

Lucky you! I wish I could be there.

I make moodboards all the time. They are a true inspiration.

Great picture of Holly and you btw πŸ™‚
    Thanks for sharing.

//Nina

• Reply Something Gorgeous September 27, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh that sounds like my idea of a dream night!! Yes I do make a mood board, it helps me stay 'on track' when decorating and shopping because otherwise I can get carried away and lose my focus.x

• Reply littletree... September 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

Im soooo jealous! I really wanted to go so thanks for the share!x

• Reply Helena - A Diary of Lovely September 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

ooh Will I love how instructive you made it!

• Reply Pinecone Camp September 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Quite the dynamic duo! πŸ˜‰ What a fun event! Would love to have been there. My mood board consists of bits of travel souvenirs,scraps of fabrics and papers. Things that really just make smile!

• Reply Anchor Cottage September 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

This post made me realize that I need a moodboard. I am changing the look of my shop for next season and it will help me stay focused when I go to the High Point Market next month! Thank you.

• Reply courtneyoutloud September 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I have two things – well sorta:

1) I keep a mood board in my closet so every time I open it, I am inspired. It is filled with fabric, tear sheets and wallpaper swatches of all the things I love. Not room specific but evokes a feeling.

2) I am in the process of painting my walls in the office with magnetic paint, so I can use the entire wall as a mood board.

• Reply Britt @ Dreamy Spaces September 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Very cool mood board pics!! Great inspiration! So cool that you went to meet Holly Becker! Very cool. Pretty soon you’ll be having your own events! πŸ™‚

• Reply Modern Country Lady September 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

A mini moodboard is what I usually make, also because of lack of space πŸ™‚ You should use that lovely picture of you in the jumper and..( Holly ?) in today's post instead of your picture on the top of your blog, it really does not do you any justice !! You look really super sweet in the black and white picture – go for it !! Only a thought by the way :-))

• Reply Jessie September 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm

That mood board looks fabulous! Love the colorful wordings!

I don't create any mood boards at home because I simply don't have a proper office space. However, I enjoyed creating online mood boards. You can check out my latest mood board here:

Have a fabulous day, Will!

Jessie

• Reply decoratorsnotebook September 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I always moodboard my rooms even though my non-styling friends rib me for it! I have big corkboards painted white – easy to pin things onto and play around. Then I photograph the board on my phone for reference when out and about. It's a simple alternative to a physical mini moodboard and means I just carry a swatch of the important bits, like fabrics or wallpaper.

• Reply Nicegirl September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Oh how I wish I could have been there. The photo's look great, love Holly and love your website!

• Reply Paper Pastries September 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

looks like a fun event. how cute is your sweater? Too adorable πŸ™‚

• Reply decor8 September 27, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I just wrote a huge comment and google made me sign in, I did, and the page cleared and I lost it. Wahhhh!??! Anyway I really enjoyed seeing you this weekend and also today at Decorex. I wish I could have seen you and Ari speak but I had to run to catch my flight home from stansted. I just made it!!! But I was sad I couldn't stay, felt bad about it because I would have lived to see u both in action too! How did it go? I am certain you did an amazing job! I'm so sorry I had to go.

Thank you for this nice post, too!!! So sweet of you to do this, I didn't even see you snapping photos… U r pretty stealth man! πŸ™‚

Ok so keep in touch Will!!! Ur the best and I'm so glad 2 have ur friendship, means a lot!

Holly

• Reply ASHLEY September 28, 2011 at 2:20 am

SO jealous!! Looks like so much fun!

• Reply Anya adores September 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh i LOVE this moodboard. And the picture is just adorable πŸ™‚ Happy day,
    Axx

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair September 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I make them!! Need to do one for the bedroom – this looks like so much fun!xx

• Reply Ana September 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I have never made one but it seems like such a fantastic idea. Is it bad that I want to create one more or less to display as ART in my living room?!

• Reply Maria September 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Cool and inspiring blog! Thanx!

/M

• Reply Becky - Pretty Dandy February 2, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Love the picture, it's really cute!

I haven't got a specific mood board at the moment, but when i was moving into my house I had a lovely notebook which I filled with scribbles and ideas and bits pulled out of magazines. We were decorating 3 floors top to bottom so some form of organisation (no matter how crazy it looked to everyon else!) was essential. Now i use Pinterest in a somewhat similar way, helps me to keep track of things I like and get a feel for where my tastes lie at any one time.

Would love to see photos of a moodboard from you too!

Becky