Uncategorized

IKEA RAST – An Awesome DIY Project

There’s plenty of IKEA projects out there in blogland, but few grab my attention in the way this updated RAST chest did. Isn’t it wonderful? Personalised with recycled French newspapers and new drawer pulls, it’s a total transformation from the off-the-shelf offering. I’ll be staying tuned for full instructions on their blog, Livet Hemma, over the coming weeks as I’m really tempted to do this for my new place. If you were going to try this, what would you cover your chest in?

• Reply Hamptontoes March 16, 2011 at 12:02 am

That is such a fun dresser! What a fab idea…it would look amazing with a wonderful wallcovering and lacquered too!

• Reply jillian :: cornflake dreams. March 16, 2011 at 12:07 am

so cool! i saw something similar (but with maps) on the nate burkus show. xoxo jcd :: cornflake dreams

• Reply A Perfect Gray March 16, 2011 at 12:13 am

the leather pulls totally make it…

• Reply cheryl.andrey March 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

maps!

• Reply Elissa March 16, 2011 at 12:32 am

oh maps or a vintage book would be cool. but, then again, anything would look good with drawer pulls like that.

• Reply justin net March 16, 2011 at 1:17 am

this is brilliant. maps sound interesting too, what about 'old' monotonous type?

• Reply Carmel's Closet March 16, 2011 at 2:27 am

I Love this! I used Le Monde for a shoot last week, so this appeals to me right now, but I would dabble with vintage wallpaper, dress patterns, pages from old recipe books and classic novels – depending what room it was for. I can see it completely covered in crosswords too.
    Carmel
    x

• Reply Carmel's Closet March 16, 2011 at 2:29 am

PS: Music sheets.
    Carmel
    x

• Reply Jan | Poppytalk March 16, 2011 at 5:03 am

eeek!

• Reply JustNoey March 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

This looks amazing! I've been wanting to try decoupaging for a while. I think I might go for Vintage comics and make it realllly colourful!

• Reply Belly B March 16, 2011 at 12:09 pm

That's awesome! I hope I will dare to try this on my dresser one day without messing up!

Belly B

• Reply Lekenhverdag.com March 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I love it! I would cover it with colorful inspirational pictures.

Take a look at these great closets for him and her: http://sortoghvitt.blogspot.com/2011/01/give-away-hos-apens-hus.html

xoxo
    Carina

• Reply Lekenhverdag.com March 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm

What about using cartoon magazines? 😉 Or pictures of all the things you love?

• Reply Kerry March 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love seeing what people come up with when they hack the RAST, but this one is definitely a stand out project! 🙂

• Reply Big Hug Studio March 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

That looks so cool.

I would probably burn the sides of the newspaper to give it a vintage feel.

I like how it's in French too, it makes me wonder how it would look in Persian, Arabic, Mandarin or Japanese writing.

• Reply Solid Frog March 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Really cool project!

• Reply wanderlustings March 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Will, this is absolutely wonderful! Thank you for finding this ~ now I am inspired to take on some of my blah ikea furniture at home 😀

• Reply Splendid Willow March 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Awesome!!!!! Go for it! (Menues from you favorite restaurants all over the world?)

ox, Mon

• Reply Reshma March 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Super duper idea I must say! If I ever did try to do my dresser up, I would try to enhance it with ethnic inspired paper!

• Reply s a m March 16, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love a good Ikea hack! Some furniture is white for a reason – it's a canvas! Thanks for sharing, loving this blog more all the time.

• Reply Modern Country Lady March 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Love the idea- so inventive!!
    Have seen another which was just amazing on this link ( not my own blog by the way ) :

• Reply Allison Egan March 17, 2011 at 4:56 am

Ahh! How chic! The rast dresser is so amazing for makeovers 🙂 This is a great piece!
    xo Allison