Three Bold and Beautiful Living Rooms

These three living rooms are fine examples of how to use bold hues in the living room. Each scheme may look different, but at heart they have embraced the same philosophy: Be brave and bold with colour. From the cosy country look of Terrific Teal to the masculine feel given by the Slate Grey scheme, each space tells a tale of the owner’s aesthetic and personality. And it’s all thanks to their confident use of colour. I’m a fan of all three, but something about those teal hues calls out to me. Which space is for you?

Red | 1. Loupe Images; Photography, Polly Wreford | 2. IPC Syndication; Livingetc; Photography, Paul Massey | 3. Gap Interiors/Mel Yates; Designer, Abigail Ahern

• Reply idratherbeshopping February 15, 2011 at 12:10 am

adore the last one! i love how the dark grey walls are moody…but then the room is instantly lifted by the pops of pink and the whimsical accessories.

thanks for the inspiration today!
    xo,
    joAnn

• Reply Justina Blakeney February 15, 2011 at 12:11 am

I was just trying to convince my boyfriend into painting our new living room that peacock blue color from the first room… no such luck yet. 🙁 He's convinces turquoise and red don't look good together! WTF?? I know…. anyway will thanks, as always for the inspiration…. I devoured your pinterest boards this weekend steeling inspiration for the new place. Thanks much and happy V. day!!

• Reply Danielle February 15, 2011 at 12:14 am

I am so drawn to the first images and the last one is nice, but I need lots of color, as grey can make me sad! I must say I really appreciate that you always take the time to credit where the images are from. As I travel the blogworld and come across images that I like and want to share, they are not always labeled and then I feel bad for reposting not knowing who to credit. I really think it is so important to give credit, where credit is due. xx Danielle

• Reply Carol T July 12, 2017 at 8:02 am

I have dark gray walls in my living room, kitchen, dining room and office. The secret is to use lots of colorful artwork and accessories. I have been told numerous times my home is so colorful….even though all the walls are gray. I find gray soothing. There are many colors such as purple and red that I love but except in limited doses I would get sick of them.

• Reply Roxy Te February 15, 2011 at 12:21 am

I so want to live in that second room! Equal parts chic and bohemian 🙂 Feeling much much better! Happy Valentine's, Will!

• Reply Jillian February 15, 2011 at 12:30 am

LOVE the last room. we have grey walls in our living room and i love them 🙂 have a wonderful valentines day! xoxo jcd
    cornflake dreams

• Reply inbox February 15, 2011 at 1:33 am

I looove the second one!! The coloured details on the third are great!! Grey + pink + turquoise, I love it!

xx

atelierinbox.blogspot.com

• Reply Carpe Diem February 15, 2011 at 1:33 am

I love the teal paint. It is stunning.

• Reply Rachel February 15, 2011 at 2:27 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely February 15, 2011 at 2:28 am

These are definitely very confident colour choices! I don't know if I'd be bold enough to try but loving the teal and slate – both knock out rooms x

• Reply Jen of MadeByGirl February 15, 2011 at 2:55 am

ive always loved the color pink…and even though i wouldnt do it in such a large space i choose the PINK room. Pink is the hot new color…. Those windows are crazy…love it. HAPPY VDAY…!

madebygirl.blogspot.com

• Reply Candylei February 15, 2011 at 3:47 am

I'll take the second one. The wall of windows would make any color look great! (even beige)
    Happy Valentine's Day,
    Candylei

• Reply Jane February 15, 2011 at 4:12 am

I am in love with teal at the moment so number one is my pick, too! Jane @ the girl in the brick house.

• Reply The S.S. Santiago February 15, 2011 at 4:41 am

that teal is GORgeous!

• Reply TamStyles February 15, 2011 at 5:06 am

love the color combos and the way they are decorated great images. thanks for posting.

• Reply Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations February 15, 2011 at 6:45 am

They're definately bold. I like the grey color on the walls of the last one. All of them have your eye jumping all over the place though…but perhaps that was intentional?

• Reply EleCat February 15, 2011 at 7:58 am

Love how the moody grey room manages to look playful….I want the scrooge! 🙂

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair February 15, 2011 at 10:17 am

That teal colour is gorgeous and so bold and modern. I also love the dark grey, the pops of colour keep it from looking too dark – it goes so well with the bright pink and i love the flooring!
    Rachie xo

• Reply Lana February 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

Definitely Punchy pink for me! love the entire room, so quirky and fun!

• Reply 'odd and old' Linda Dacey February 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm

take teal!
    this interior reminds me
    of the beautiful 'spittlefield' interiors
    i can afford the paint but not the house sniff…

°°°

• Reply Cari-Jane Hakes February 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm

oooh conicidence…I've just been on 'odd and old' and here I find myself commenting below Linda's comment (i'm not following you honest!!). LOVE all these rooms – and I must say, I'm gravitating towards the dark grey – just because any other colour just has so much more impact. I'm seeing it everywhere at the moment.

• Reply FROM THE RIGHT BANK February 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I've never been a big fan of teal but that first room may make me a convert!

• Reply kcinteriors February 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

For sure the terrific teal. The pink and grey feel a bit done at the moment. There is something incredibly soothing about the first room.

I got to use a fun shade of green on the walls of a recent project:

• Reply edwinaowenselliott.com February 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Digging the teal, too. Takes me back to those funky hippie days hanging out in Chicago's Old Town.

• Reply Jürgen February 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

The latter, no doubt. I love the strong notes of color on a gray background

• Reply Old Brand New February 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

SLATE GREY drool! I just can't convince my heartmate to let me paint the bedroom wall so I have this idea of using rolls of paper to cover it. Hmm…

• Reply mydeco February 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Amazing Will. I love the top image. It is so stunning – you always find the best photography.

• Reply firstsense February 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Mmmmm these are lovely, Mr Bazaar!

I too think there's something very alluring about that teal and tan room with the roaring fire.

My favourite is Abigail Ahern's design – she is a genius with her inky greys and eclecticism.

~Meera @ firstsense

• Reply Leigha February 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm

You're killing me today! These are so, so good.

Leigha

• Reply Pinecone Camp February 15, 2011 at 11:20 pm

They all look pretty great, but I could live in that gray living room!
    I want that orange rabbit.

• Reply Renee (eatliveshop.com) February 16, 2011 at 3:46 am

I adore all of these! I love how different and eclectic they each are.

• Reply venturelane February 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

Gosh, that blue is so daring, but so beautiful! I love all three rooms. The design is wonderful, and they look so cozy and welcoming. Very nice : )

• Reply Apt. #34 February 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I need that last room! Also miss you- reunion soon please?!

• Reply Home Horoscopes: The Best Colors for Your Zodiac Sign – Pioneers Discovers January 6, 2017 at 7:50 pm

[…] This teal-toned sitting room from Loupe Images, found via Bright Bazaar, nails the 2017 gem […]