Livingetc, February 2011

It feels as though we’ve only dipped our toes into 2011, so you’ll be forgiven for finding it hard to believe we’re already onto the second issues of the year. February’s offering from the stylish folks at Livingetc won’t disappoint – in fact, I think it’s one of their strongest issues in some time. Inside you’ll find: a fine example of what the team charmingly describe as ‘hunting-lodge chic’; twelve ideas for weekend updates; a knock out Manhattan apartment and one of my favourite features by the mag for some time: TV Presenter Ben Fogle and the eclectic, colourful home he shares with his wife. Their space details striking modern pieces that pop thanks to their bright hues, whilst vintage additions and worldly finds make for a cosy atmosphere – a grand home indeed! Be sure to pick up an issue to see their Classical Studies feature, tips on displaying books and a round up of the best metro tiles on the market. Oh, and in the meantime, why not pop over to their smashing blog?

• Reply Mackenzie {Design Darling} January 13, 2011 at 12:06 am

That sofa is INSANELY good.

• Reply Stacey January 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

I'm just loving the embracing of brights aka unabashed use of colour! Great review! XX

• Reply Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely January 13, 2011 at 12:25 am

Um, wow! I love those last 3 spaces; the kitchen is insanely fab and loving the wallpaper looks amazing!

• Reply Siany January 13, 2011 at 12:35 am

Oh the tiled chimney breast! And the exposed brick kitchen. Will, stop making me YEARN for things I can't have.

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Gaby [The Vault Files] January 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

That kitchen!! and the patchwork sofa beautiful!

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

Extremely tasty and very eclectic! Looks like an issue to grab.

• Reply Danielle January 13, 2011 at 2:35 am

Well, I'll be…color me happy!!

• Reply Carpe Diem January 13, 2011 at 2:44 am

Great ideas, great inspiration…because everything needs a good pop of color.

• Reply Caitlin January 13, 2011 at 3:47 am

I love when you give us a sneak peek at Living Etc. I need to find the “Tea Revives You” poster.

• Reply Bianca January 13, 2011 at 5:17 am

so in love with that wall of tiles.

• Reply Helena - A Diary of Lovely January 13, 2011 at 10:11 am

I see many many goodies, love the kitchen of course and the spine bookcase, in my long wish list for like ever!
    Great review Will, thanks!

• Reply Riell [project:Home] January 13, 2011 at 10:15 am

That kitchen is amazing! πŸ™‚

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair January 13, 2011 at 10:47 am

That green sofa is gorgeous and i love all of Ben fogles house esp the kitchen – would kill for that exposed brickwork!! xo

• Reply rubyrhino January 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hi Will, I've got the mag and it's one of my fave issues for a long time. I adore the coldswolds cottage – she's achieved chic and cosy amazingly well, and Ben Fogle's place is knock out too, so bright and fun!

• Reply Roxy Te January 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Per your spot on advice, I popped on over to Life.Style.etc and what did I see before my very pleasantly pleased eyes? Why a “tres jolie” glass teapot that I would certainly fill with champagne over afternoon tea ;)p.s. Dinner party? Excellent! It's always more fun to have fabulously dressed guests! The teapot will be waiting…

• Reply Emily January 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I am loving all of these rooms, and the concept of hunting lodge chic. I especially love the tall stacks of books in some of those rooms, I did that in my guest room and love the look.

• Reply Sandy a la Mode January 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

that sofa with all the different patterns is crazy cool~~ and i am loving all the brights, so fitting for your blog i might add!! πŸ˜‰

• Reply TLC_Designs January 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Those coloured glasses on the open shelving in the kitchen caught my eye – I love them.
    Too bad Christmas is over…

*Tania @ Passport2Design.com

• Reply MarΓ­a January 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

many thanks for helping me in my today inspiration.

xx

• Reply Maryam in Marrakesh January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

so covet that last chest of drawers!

• Reply edwinaowenselliott.com January 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Me too Maryam! That's my fav.

• Reply jan January 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm

heaps of inspiration, and love the blog!

• Reply Sally @ ourdreamlives January 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

This whole post is gorgeous… but the chimney is amazing, I have to remember to do that one day πŸ™‚

• Reply Kirsten January 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Can't wait to get my hands on this issue!! Great post Will!!

simplygrove.com

• Reply Charlotta Ward January 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Yes 'Living Etc' is a brilliant magazine. A staple in my piles of glossies!

Hunting lodge chic is so me. I love a dash of rustic with some preppy layering!
    Those grey velvet chairs are fantastic, as are the floors and ottoman. I'd love to curl up there and read that over-sized book!
    I also must get my Swedish paws on some good old horns, antlers and craniums (never thought I'd ever say that!!) when I get back to the motherland later this year. Have refrained from buying some due to predicted customs issues when we ship our stuff. Once we're on site there will be no stopping me..! πŸ™‚

The bath is adorable! That slanted ceiling and distressed wood. And how clever to use the corner for an inbuilt shelf! For a glass of wine and some candles..! πŸ™‚

Loving all of your pictures and I could go on and on.. but I am hopping across to your next post now. So much to catch up on.

xx C

• Reply ALL ABOUT CHOCOLATE CREATIVE... January 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Glad I have found your blog, greta style and ideas, Ingot my living etc copy as well!! I am adding u to my blogroll!!
    regards from London