BRIGHT.TRAVEL

New York City Snow Day

new-york-city-snow-day-1Well, it’s fair to say that I LOVE a New York City snow day! We’ve already had three snow storms this winter in New York City. I shared a round up of my favorite Christmas snowy scenes in the city at the end of last year, and also a look at one of my snow day outfits, too. This weekend’s snowfall wasn’t as heavy as last year’s historic snow storm in New York City, but it was still a fair amount – about 4-5″. I’ve rounded up some of the New York City snow day scenes that caught my eye and made me smile this weekend, after the jump!

new-york-city-snow-day-2Greenwich village sure does look charming under a blanket of fresh, powdery snow. Well, let’s get real, it looks charming any day but the snow is a little added bonus!new-york-city-snow-day-3I posted this to my Instagram Story but I liked it so much I wanted to include it here too. I just managed to get grab my phone in time to capture the shot before the cab went out of frame. I love how the disappearing cab gives a feeling of NYC’s space. Yes, even a New York City snow day is still fast-paced!new-york-city-snow-day-4Confession: I risked life and limb (!) to run across snow and ice like a crazy person to capture this shot. I noticed the woman with the red umbrella in the distance and knew it would look great in the contrast against the white snow. It was worth it – I love this photograph!new-york-city-snow-day-5There’s nothing more joyful that seeing a group of children hurtling down a snow-laden hill in Central Park. I wish I could have had a go, TBH!new-york-city-snow-day-6Apart from the first image and the one of the woman with the red umbrella, I took these pictures on my iPhone (the other two I took on my Canon 5D). It kinda blows my mind how powerful the iPhone camera is these days.new-york-city-snow-day-7Snow-capped trees make New York City feel more like Narnia. So beautiful! The final shot (below) has a dashing-through-the-snow-to-get-home feeling to it, don’t you think? Do you like snow? Have you ever experienced a New York City snow day?new-york-city-snow-day-8// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Gracie January 8, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Stunning pictures as always Will! xo

• Reply Justin H January 8, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Amazing that many of these were taken on your phone. Inspires me to take more pictures!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 8, 2017 at 11:40 pm

@Justin – Right?! It’s such a great camera. So pleased to read that it has inspired you, too! πŸ™‚

• Reply Karen January 8, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Love the one of you!! And the woman with the red umbrella. Your eye for a shot is perfect! πŸ™‚

• Reply carrie January 9, 2017 at 3:05 am

I can sense the joy in your face and yours words!

Carrie

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2017 at 10:24 am

@Carrie – Yes! I was so happy to be out capturing all the beauty of the city under the snow!

• Reply Gabriella January 9, 2017 at 7:08 am

I love New York in the snow! It’s so positively dreamy. Also, I seriously need to upgrade my phone. I really can’t believe how powerful the new camera is! Your photos are incredible.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2017 at 10:24 am

@Gabriella – Oh, thank you so much! I know, it’s crazy how powerful they are now!

• Reply Joseph Godwin jr January 9, 2017 at 7:55 am

New york city is among the beautiful city I would love to visit some day.. the pictures are amazing, guess you’re born for this. ooh how I wish we could experience a snow fall in Africa. yea, how about you throw us some NYC snow music feast pics ??? hope am not asking for much. keep up with the good works. I rate 5 star.

• Reply Candy Pop January 9, 2017 at 8:04 am

Such magical photos. I hope you are well and Happy New Year! x

• Reply Madeline Potter January 9, 2017 at 9:09 am

Blown away! Such lovely photos. I was able to experience Jonas last year in NJ but I have yet to experience a snowstorm in NYC and that would be a dream. I love this series!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2017 at 10:26 am

@Madeline – Jonas was crazy, right?! Thanks so much for the lovely comment!

• Reply C.B. January 9, 2017 at 9:42 am

I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of Snow. To be fair, I’ve always lived in a place that gets a lot of it (Born and raised in Montreal and now living in the Capital city of Canada, Ottawa). This winter we’ve already had a lot of snow storms (and not the pretty kind in your pictures). The snow banks in my street are close to 6 feet tall. I mean when you get yourself in a nice park or forest setting it takes great pictures but the reality of it is, a lot of shoveling and a lot of cursing when the snow plow clears your street after you’ve shoveled your laneway and dumps half the snow bank onto your property (true story….happened last week). We’re about 2 months into winter here and there’s about 3 months to go still and I am officially done with snow! But again, you guys don’t get nearly as much snow as we do and NYC is a bit of a magical city to begin with so your pictures almost make me feel good about snow…….almost ;p

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2017 at 10:27 am

@Caroline – Yikes, that does sound intense. Stay safe in the heavy snow and thanks for the kind words about my pics! πŸ™‚

• Reply Daniel Conroy January 9, 2017 at 12:17 pm

These are fantastic! And you’re insanely adorable!

• Reply Jenn Lake January 9, 2017 at 12:58 pm

These images are simply dreamy! Happy Monday, Will!

• Reply DANIEL January 9, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Those pics are awesome! πŸ™‚ I would’ve run like crazy too with a sight like that! πŸ™‚ Have a wonderful and happy snow time! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2017 at 4:23 pm

@Daniel – Thanks very much for the lovely comment! Have a great new week!

• Reply Lauren Lyons January 9, 2017 at 6:12 pm

*Someone* can add “Photographer” to his list of achievements!! Beautiful photos, Will!

• Reply Kevin January 10, 2017 at 10:29 am

These pictures are awesome, Will πŸ™‚
    Wanna have a snowball fight, and then have some hot chocolate and pig out on cookies?

• Reply Anya from Simply Danish Living January 10, 2017 at 2:18 pm

I adore every single bit about this post Will, such awesome pix.
    Have a fab day,
    Ax

• Reply Rick January 10, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Beautiful shots ( and the red umbrella is perfect ) !

• Reply Didier January 10, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Haha you’re the cutest! I love snow days. When its nice and fresh, it is such a magical feeling. Its exactly like being inside a snow globe!

-Didier