Four Ways To Ace A Black Kitchen Design

wren-kitchens-1Kitchens. No matter what the statistics might show, I still believe that they are the heart of the home. Just a few weeks ago I had some friends over to the Bright.Bazaar cottage for dinner. About thirty minutes after my friends had arrived, someone pointed out how we were congregated in the kitchen and not the living room. One friend was sat on the bottom stair, another lent casually against the fridge, while I had hopped up onto the countertop. We had no reason to be in the kitchen (the dinner was under control) but it was the natural place that we had settled and started catching up. We started talking about what makes kitchens feel so cosy and welcoming. Three out of four of us said how much we liked to see black used in kitchen design because it felt timeless, chic and cocooning. That very conversation inspired today’s post, so I’ve rounded up four stylish Wren Kitchens to inspire different approaches to a stylish black kitchen design.wren-kitchens-2The Linea kitchen takes on an industrial ‘lab chic’ vibe thanks to a fusion of glossy finishes alongside laboratory design elements. Apothecary vases and metallic wall lamps lend a chic industrial vibe to the intense raven black base, which creates a black kitchen representative of the current zest of loft-style design.wren-kitchens-3This second example of a black kitchen design is one of my favourite takes on this decorating approach. The Sculptured kitchen’s minimal decor and contemporary fittings are tempered by tactile wooden touches that soften the city vibe. Notice too how the black has been used in a matt eggshell here vs. a gloss, which also creates a softer and gentler final look.wren-kitchens-4This Shaker kitchen shows that a primarily black kitchen design can feel exotic and vibrant. I named this look ‘moorish delight’ because the statement wall of patterned tiles, paired with the rustic furniture provides a striking contrast to the matt black cabinetry and pendants.wren-kitchens-5

This final kitchen is ideal inspiration for those who would like to decorate with black, but don’t want to create a kitchen that’s too stark or trend-led. This cosy country look is created by foiling the black cabinetry with bare wooden units in order to maintain a warm and welcoming atmosphere in the space. Which of these four approaches to decorating with black in the kitchen do you like best?

* // Photography by Wren Kitchens

• Reply Saikiran October 15, 2014 at 6:04 am

I personally like black color and this kitchen is just awesome in terms of design. Was just trying to visualize that how will be if the cupboards that are in natural wood color is turned out to be balck.. Doesn’t it look much better..Just as idea. πŸ™‚ Between the pattern on wall is fabulous.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm

@Saikiran – I agree, that wall pattern really brings the moorish delight look to life and makes the blacks in the space central to the scheme.

• Reply Lee October 15, 2014 at 7:49 am

Love this post, I just posted about modern country kitchens, great minds think alike πŸ™‚ My favourite above would have to be No. 2

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

@Lee – That’s my favourite as well, great choice! Thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• Reply elisabetta @italianbark October 15, 2014 at 8:33 am

I have a weakness in this period with black home decor. I have a black kitchen in my home -actually is a very dark shade of charcoal- and I love it, the style is more similar to the fist one, I’m a fan of industrial style and black is perfect for this! Other styles are very interesting as well!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2014 at 1:48 pm

@Elisabetta – Your charcoal kitchen sounds divine – so stylish! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Chichi Furniture October 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

Good morning. Great post – they are all stunning kitchens, but I think may actual fave here is picture one. Its really chic and I love the chalkboards. The other contender is the last one with the country feel and natural tones softening the black. Black units/furniture is super stylish :O)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm

@ChiChi – Yes, that industrial black kitchen design is really stylish, isn’t it! Personally, I like how inviting and cosy the country look feels in the fourth idea. πŸ™‚

• Reply MARY BETH October 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

City Slicker is the one for me (that blue green is terrific pop of color). I just did a post on blackboards in the home today and I have shown a kitchen too with blackboard cabinets – it might be a home in England? Love these Will

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm

@Mary Beth – That’s my favourite, too! Heading over to check out your post now! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply valentina October 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I love these black kitchens, mostly the first! The industrial touch is so stylish! In my home I can’t use black furniture because is small, a tiny home! But I love to mix white solutions with black details, perfect to give personality to rooms. Have a good evening Will!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

@Valentina – I really like the industrial feel to the first kitchen, too. Small black touches with a white base can make a striking result too! πŸ™‚

• Reply LatteLisa October 15, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I’m a white-kitchen girl so I would probably choose No. 2 but with different tiles or oak floorboards.

Totally agree with you on the kitchen being the heart of the home.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

@Lisa – There’s something so comforting and cosy about the kitchen, isn’t there? Thanks for stopping by, Lisa!

• Reply Eva October 16, 2014 at 10:27 am

My favourite is the 4th option. Overall, I’m not too keen on black in interiours, but I like the classic look and feel of those matte units with the traditional doors. Also, the tiling and pairing with wood and white make it look very classic and at the same time fresh, something I always admire. Also, such a neutral scheme would be so easy to change up with differnt chairs, display on the open shelves and specs of colour etc. … πŸ™‚

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 16, 2014 at 12:50 pm

@Eva – I totally agree! A black base palette is ideal for layering in accent elements such as colours, textures, patterns etc.

• Reply The kentucky gent October 16, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Kitchens are the heart of the home (may be saying that cause I grew up in the south), and it’s the one thing that I’ll have to have my way whenever I get a house. Huge kitchen, with tons of natural light (better for the instagram photos), and that first kitchen is to die for.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm

@Josh – HA! I laughter out loud at the Instagram comment. So true about natural light, though – it makes all the difference. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Jamie Herzlinger October 16, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Love a black kitchen…in fact, I just installed one! Thanks for sharing!

Love,

Jamie Herzlinger

• Reply susan // fleurishing October 17, 2014 at 2:35 pm

We love our black kitchen, and ours is a mix of all of the above!

• Reply Kati B ~ FurnishMyWay October 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I love love love number two and three! There is just something so eclectic yet elegant about the combination of black, teal, and copper finishings. And I am always a sucker for a black & white tiled accent…