BRIGHT.LIFE

Bright Bites: Quick & Healthy Brunch Recipe

quick-and-healthy-brunch-recipe

Of late, my weekends seem to have been just as busy as my week days, so I was keen to discover a brunch recipe that didn’t mean I had to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen, but also didn’t squeeze on the health factor. I’ve been on a bit of a health kick this year. From eating better to working out, I’m trying my best to treat my body with more respect. With so much travel as part of my job it meant I found myself eating quite badly when on the road (I took over 50 flights last year!) so that’s a lot of eating on the go! All the more reason for wanting to eat – and generally live! – better in 2014. Et voila! This brunch I whistled together last Saturday ticked both the ‘healthy’ and ‘quick’ boxes, plus it had a great reaction when I shared it on Bright.Bazaar’s Instagram, so I figured it would be worthwhile sharing the recipe. Here’s how I made it:

Ingredients (for two)
– Wholemeal muffin x2
– Lean bacon slices x8
– Eggs x2
– An avocado
– Handful of spinach
– Chilli flakes

1. Poach an egg in gently simmering water with a dash of white wine vinegar.
2. Cook the lean bacon slices on a griddle.
2. Meanwhile, toast a wholemeal muffin and slice an avocado.
4. Once cooked, drain the egg and bacon on some kitchen towel.
5. Layer the ingredients onto the wholemeal muffin as follows: spinach, lean bacon slices (x2 per slice), a few pieces of sliced avocado, the poached egg and then shatter with chilli flakes and a pinch of pepper.

Shop the table style: Plate | Napkin | Tumbler

Do you have any favourite brunch recipes? Are there any other breakfast ideas you’d like to see in my Bright Bites series? Have a great weekend, folks! Happy bright brunching!

// Photography and styling by Will Taylor

• Reply Fiona Duke July 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

great timing – got up to crack on with work before the kids start getting restless and i’m still at my desk! not had breakfast yet and i’m hungry. the only thing i don’t have is the wholegrain muffin so toast will have to do. yum yum

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

@Fiona – Yes, it would totally work with toast as well. Hope you like it! :)

• Reply Polly ROWAN July 25, 2014 at 10:27 am

This looks absolutely divine! I can’t get enough of avocados at the moment, especially for breakfast. Smashed avocado on toast is my favourite but this takes it up another level :) defo trying this for breakfast tomorrow.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

@Polly – Oh, me too! Avos are the best. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

• Reply Elizabeth @ Rosalilium July 25, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Delicious! I do love a good brunch recipe.

My fave brunch is probably my Breakfast Hash, it’s great for using up leftovers and anything with chorizo is a winner for me!

Recipe if you’re interested: http://www.rosalilium.com/2013/06/recipe-chorizo-potato-hash/

I’d love to see what your fave sweet brunch recipes are!

• Reply Rochelle July 30, 2014 at 11:11 am

It has been way to long since I’ve been getting my dose of Bright Bazaar…..life has just been a bit hectic in a nice way with little boys at home all day for the summer…..but nice to catch up here again. Love this recipe and I love, love, love avocado…I have it with just about everything….

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 30, 2014 at 11:12 am

@Rochelle – Lovely to see you back. Hope you’ve had a fab summer with your boys, and, yes, I am 100% in love with avocado, too!

• Reply ROCHELLE July 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I have, only it flies by so quickly….too quickly… the eldest has gone on summer camp this morning for a few days and I miss him already….