Of late, my weekends seem to have been just as busy as my week days, so I was keen to discover a brunch recipe that didn’t mean I had to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen, but also didn’t squeeze on the health factor. I’ve been on a bit of a health kick this year. From eating better to working out, I’m trying my best to treat my body with more respect. With so much travel as part of my job it meant I found myself eating quite badly when on the road (I took over 50 flights last year!) so that’s a lot of eating on the go! All the more reason for wanting to eat – and generally live! – better in 2014. Et voila! This brunch I whistled together last Saturday ticked both the ‘healthy’ and ‘quick’ boxes, plus it had a great reaction when I shared it on Bright.Bazaar’s Instagram, so I figured it would be worthwhile sharing the recipe. Here’s how I made it:
Ingredients (for two)
– Wholemeal muffin x2
– Lean bacon slices x8
– Eggs x2
– An avocado
– Handful of spinach
– Chilli flakes
1. Poach an egg in gently simmering water with a dash of white wine vinegar.
2. Cook the lean bacon slices on a griddle.
2. Meanwhile, toast a wholemeal muffin and slice an avocado.
4. Once cooked, drain the egg and bacon on some kitchen towel.
5. Layer the ingredients onto the wholemeal muffin as follows: spinach, lean bacon slices (x2 per slice), a few pieces of sliced avocado, the poached egg and then shatter with chilli flakes and a pinch of pepper.
Do you have any favourite brunch recipes? Are there any other breakfast ideas you’d like to see in my Bright Bites series? Have a great weekend, folks! Happy bright brunching!
// Photography and styling by Will Taylor