Design For Walls: Nail & String Artwork

I remember being immediately captivated when I first saw the nautical artworks by Dan Balgley in Jonathan Adler’s Shelter Island home. (Dan has created some cool typographical pieces of string art for Jonathan Alder stores, so do keep an eye out!) I was styling Jonathan’s home for the Bright Bazaar book and the unique appearance and form of the nail and string pieces intrigued me to discover more artworks that were made using this approach. So you can imagine my excitement when I recently discovered these nail and string artworks by Mr & Mrs Morgan. Based in Valencia, Spain, Hector and Maria Luisa are two young designers who create all their pieces by hand. I’m smitten with the anchor design – it’s ideal for a summer scheme! The heart would be an adorable Valentines or wedding gift, while the bear and hot air balloon are ideal for kids. Which of their designs are catching your eye? Do you know of any artists that create pieces using a similar method?

// Top photograph by Andrew Boyd from the Bright Bazaar book; ship artwork by Dan Balgley | Other pictures and artworks by Mr & Mrs Morgan

• Reply Chantele June 11, 2014 at 12:30 am

Those sail boats are pretty impressive!
    Two Hearts One Roof

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar June 11, 2014 at 7:40 am

@Chantelle – Aren’t they amazing? Dan created the perfect pieces for Jonathan and Simon’s home!

• Reply Alexandra June 11, 2014 at 1:28 am

These are amazing!! The top one would go perfectly in my latest blog post (which is nautical themed.) I totally need it…

— Alex at Cashmere Kangaroo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar June 11, 2014 at 7:41 am

@Alexandra – Totally! It’s the perfect piece for JA’s Shelter Island home because it’s situated right on the beach!

• Reply Kati June 11, 2014 at 1:51 am

I love the two-piece one of the dachshund. I’m currently obsessed with dachshund, not so much with pugs even though I think that would make a great string and nail artwork as well. I really like how they hung up the dachshund and drew something in between both pictures. Makes it much more funny and interactive.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar June 11, 2014 at 7:42 am

@Kati – I agree! I think it shows their fun and happy-go-lucky attitude. It’s totally #makeyousmilestyle, isn’t it! :)

• Reply Kristin June 11, 2014 at 5:51 am

Loving that boat on the wall!

• Reply Ash June 11, 2014 at 9:02 am

I bet you can’t guess which is my favourite art work ;-)

• Reply Isabel @ RISEART June 11, 2014 at 10:54 am

I’m also a fan of the dachshund, such a cute idea with the middle ‘skeleton’ part! Having that drawn on the wall between the two raised frames is a great contrast, especially with the artworks themselves being so tactile. Completely smitten!

• Reply Fiona Duke June 11, 2014 at 4:55 pm

love these – went onto the website but can’t see prices and shipping …. ?

• Reply Debbie smyth June 12, 2014 at 7:28 am

Love these creations! I work in a similar way, check out my pin & thread creations!

• Reply mel June 12, 2014 at 10:54 am

Will this takes me back to my childhood. Love what they do, such a cool idea! Mel xx

• Reply Nicholas June 13, 2014 at 3:51 pm

This string wall art is amazing, I love the boats that are not in frames. Very original !!