Sneak Peek: ‘Sweet Paul Eat & Make’ Book

I first started working with Paul Lowe four years ago back in 2010 when I started my Will’s Picks feature for his magazine, Sweet Paul. I will never forget how Paul believed in me: I was still working in a 9-5 and burning the midnight oil to build my freelance career when he agreed to commission the feature from my pitch. All these years later, it’s a pleasure to still be a part of the team that creates a magazine with more than six million readers an issue.

Those of you who have met Paul with attest to his warm, jovial and creative spirit, and it’s that very spirit that pours out from the pages of his new book, Sweet Paul Eat & Make, which was published in America yesterday. Split into a series of recipes and simple kitchen crafts for morning, brunch, noon and night, it’s a clever fusion of food and DIY. Exquisitely styled, photographed and laid out recipes feature throughout, from Maple-Roased Granola and Finnish Rye Bread for Morning and Brunch, to Pasta with Chunky Pesto and Roasted Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie for Noon and Night. Mixed in are a series of quick and stylish ‘rustic-chic’ makes, just like the painted charger plates seen above. For those of you who like tasty recipes that are quick and use minimal ingredients, Sweet Paul Eat & Make will become your kitchen bible. What do you love about Sweet Paul, friends?

// Photography by Will Taylor | DIY and actual book photography by Alexandra Grablewski | Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

• Reply SuSan April 2, 2014 at 12:43 am

Looks like an awesome cookbook. Nice illustrations. Thanks for the look inside.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 12:45 am

@Susan – The watercolour details are divine, right? So in love with this book!

• Reply Bea April 2, 2014 at 12:44 am

Ohhhh I remember that post you did all those years ago about being a contributor to the magazine. You’ve both come on so far!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 12:46 am

@Bea – You do?! Thank you! Paul has definitely been an inspiration to me. x

• Reply mel April 2, 2014 at 3:05 am

Such a great idea to combine recipes and kitchen DIY! Lovely story about how he believed in you all those years ago, the world needs more people in the world like that. M xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 9:40 am

@Mel – I agree, such a fresh idea! And, yes, the world definitely could do with a few more kind souls! xx

• Reply Hannah April 2, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Oh my! I’m so excited to buy this now! Just introduced my Mum to the wonderful world of sweet paul and she’s a HUGE fan too!

• Reply Cushionista April 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I love that you have continued the working relationship throughout the years and are now in a position to give something back. I need to buy this book! Sweet Paul sounds like a great guy! :)

• Reply Louise - 30s Magazine April 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I’m such a fan of Sweet Paul so I can’t wait to get my hands on his book. Did you see his video with the 39 questions? Loved it!

• Reply Home Arty HOME April 2, 2014 at 3:02 pm

LOVE THIS!! perfect combination of delicious-looking food and crafty design! tasty! thanks for posting.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 3:42 pm

@Home Arty HOME – It’s gorgeously designed as well. So pleased you enjoyed the post!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily April 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing Paul’s book Will-He’s incredibly talented and I’m also a huge fan of his craft ideas too. Lovely xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm

@Caroline – You are going to fall in love with this book, it’s like one big SP magazine. Divine! x

• Reply SArah April 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Wow! This book looks perfect! I have to put it on my wish list! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply jillian April 2, 2014 at 5:08 pm

so beautiful!! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply gudy herder April 2, 2014 at 8:53 pm

What I basically love are two things: first himself! He seems to be kind, generous and extremely generous, I was about to sign up for his Makerie in NY and will do one day. Then, he is one of the most amazing stylists I know, probably even my favorite male stylist. Honestly, I have never tried any of his recipes but that’s because I am not a big recipe fan. But yes, that will be probably the first cook book I am going to get this time. xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm

@Gudy – You won’t regret it if you do buy it, I promise – it’s wonderful! Hugs xx

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell April 2, 2014 at 10:51 pm

What a great book. Definitely one for my hubby or I may even try a recipe or two. Love the photos and the painted plates are just genius! xx

• Reply Serena April 3, 2014 at 8:19 am

I love Paul and everything he makes… :-)))

• Reply susan hutchinson (@fleurishing) April 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I can’t wait to see the book…it was such a pleasure meeting him when he came to Terrain last year. I was seated next to him and we had a lovely chat! Warm + jovial indeed.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm

@Susan – The terrain event looked so nice. You will love the book! :) x

• Reply my scandinavian home April 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm

The books looks so great, I love all the bright colours and imagery – plus you get to make some great stuff too – win win!! /Niki

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm

@Niki – Lovely to see you stop by, thank you! Yes, such a beautiful book! :)

• Reply andreas April 6, 2014 at 10:14 am

Amazing explosion of fresh colours, I dig this book just from these few snapshots. Also, that DIY painted charges using the bright hue of blue look so summer-ish and definitely something worth trying out as each one would be completely unique.