Palette Addict: Black & Orange Bedroom Idea

orange-black-bedroom

In my new book I have a colour cocktail called The Tangerine Dream (which was inspired by the original blog post in the series I wrote back in 2012!) which explores how to decorate with both dark and strong, striking colours in a bedroom environment. With that in mind, I wanted to explore the topic for this week’s Palette Addict post because it can be tricky to decorate successfully with orange and black. The space shown here by Aura Home is an excellent example of how to combine these two hues – by only painting black half height in the space it tempers the intense nature of the noir. The striking result this creates helps to draw the eye down to the bed, almost serving as a painted ‘frame’ for the room’s main focal point. By dressing the bed in bright orange bedding that features a stone grey diamond outline pattern as a nod to the second colour used no the walls, a co-ordinated colour palette is created. Introducing an orange accent against the dark walls and floor works well in a standalone format, as opposed to multiple decorative accessories peppered across the space, as it creates a more visually commanding look. What do you think of this bedroom scheme? Have you ever decorated with these colours in your home?

// Photography by Aura Home | Orange Diamond Poppy Bedding

• Reply Kevin | Thou Swell March 7, 2014 at 2:10 am

I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of orange, but this bedroom is super successful!

• Reply Kristin March 7, 2014 at 3:20 am

I like how the bold color plays off the black and neutral colors. It makes the orange pop. I never thought of using such colors before in a room.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

@Kristin – Totally agree! I used black to decorate an old bedroom and it served well as a base neutral to layer brighter colors in elsewhere.

• Reply maria March 7, 2014 at 8:45 am

Bright combo! I love it.

• Reply Justyna March 7, 2014 at 8:46 am

Surprisingly strong look for Mr Bazaar – very much to my liking :)

• Reply Caz March 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

So deliciously masculine and the geometric pattern with a little hint of natural wood in the mug and light is a beautiful balance. Orange is a really social colour and put it with black, the most unsocial colour in the spectrum, and you get an amazing drama. Yum!

• Reply chichi furniture March 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

I love orange but wouldn’t have thought about using it in my home – I love this room, its a fantastic space and gender neutral. I love the half/half wall. The orange is striking against the black and like you said works perfectly as a bold block rather than dispersed pops of colour.

• Reply Tracie Ellis March 7, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for sharing Will, so great to hear all the positive comments about using such a strong statement in the bedroom. We love to get people thinking outside the square when decorating their bedrooms & Love your work, Tracie x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm

@Tracie – Thank you so much for all the inspiration and amazing products you produce, Tracie! x

• Reply Chelsea linsley March 7, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I love orange and this room is rockin’ my soul. I totally love it!

• Reply Niki March 7, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Oh to be bold enough to go for a bright colour like tangerine. The half-wall I could definitely do though, I especially love half white / half grey at the moment. /Niki

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 7, 2014 at 10:30 pm

@Niki – Totally, I am loving the whole half height wall approach right now, too!

• Reply Ingrid Jansen March 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm

very tasty cocktail! oh and i l♦ve the bedding a L♦T

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 9, 2014 at 12:30 pm

@Ingird – I can see them in the backend of my blog and they made me smile! ;)

• Reply Ingrid Jansen March 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

hehe, the harlequin shape’s didn’t make it ;)