Three Ways To Brighten Your Home For Spring

bright-bazaar-lounge-openerjonathan-adler-owl-vaseyellow-painted-cabinetdiy-pom-pom-lampbright-bazaars-living-room

As we approach March (yikes, March!) each passing day feels a little more spring-like, yet we’ve not completely crossed the threshold into a season of blossom-lined streets, milder (and lighter) days and chirping birds first thing. With that in mind, I pulled together five quick, easy and budget-busting ideas to brighten your home in time for spring. Here are three of my favourites:

1. Invite seasonal blooms into your rooms
Nothing spells out Spring quite like a bunch of seasonal blooms and there’s no time of year more affordable than spring to do so. Most supermarkets sell bunches of daffodils for a pound – they’ll add stacks of cheer in a simple vase or mix them with some greenery and yellow roses for an extra splash of colour. Treat your sideboards as mini stages and create a vignette around the vase: a trio of vases and objects alongside some books that co-ordinate with an existing piece of art will make your room soar in the style stakes.

2. Update existing furniture with leftover paint
You can create a statement piece out of an existing piece of furniture with a quick lick of paint. Perhaps you have a leftover tin in the loft from a previous project? If not, a single tin of chalk paint (Annie Sloan has some fantastic colours) is your best bet because you can paint almost anything with it and achieve a smooth, chalky finish. I painted my vintage officer’s chest yellow, rubbing it back with sandpaper to reveal the pink underneath – it’s now a perfect match for the rest of the space.

3. Add colour to everyday pieces
Investing fifteen minutes into a craft project often means you can ascend an unforgettable, everyday piece in your home to an interesting and original element of a scheme. Take this IKEA lamp, for example, to which I attached a length of multi-coloured bobble trim. The whole project cost less than ten pounds and no more than a few minutes but it brings a healthy dose of spring cheer to my bedside table.

Head over to Sofa.com’s new Inspiration Corner for two more colourful design ideas for spring. You can also pre-order the Bright.Bazaar book for stacks of colourful design ideas demonstrated via more than 350 inspiring and original pictures! Which idea do you like best? How do you invite colour into your home?

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Azu February 28, 2014 at 5:36 am

These are all lovely ideas. Flowers always brighten up a room! Daffodils are one of my favorites :)

xo Azu

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro February 28, 2014 at 6:31 am

Lovely bouquets, Will! As you might guess I find no 1 the most important way to bring spring into you home ;) Have a nice weekend! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 8:27 am

@Emelie – Great hearing that from a floral talent like you, thank you! Have a fab weekend. x

• Reply ANDRIANA February 28, 2014 at 8:22 am

JUST BY LOOKING AT THE PICTURES, YOU GET THE SPRING FEELING! THEY ARE SO LOVELY! ESPECIALLY THE LAST ONE WITH THE BEAUTIFUL TULIPS! FLOWERS ALWAYS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE….

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 8:28 am

@Adriana – Yay for spring! It’s so lovely seeing the season change to brighter days (said as it’s pouring with rain outside!).

• Reply elisabetta @italianbaRk February 28, 2014 at 8:52 am

Yeeh spring is coming!!even if here in my city (near venice) this year it really seems like spring will never come, so many rainy days…but your right, it’s time for flowers and colours, I will start from my small garden!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 9:16 am

@Elisabetta – I know how you feel because it’s pouring with rain here today! ;)

• Reply Serena February 28, 2014 at 11:10 am

I love the flowers in the pitcher.. also the yellow cabinet below… amazing mix :-)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 11:20 am

@Serena – I bought that at a vintage shop in London because I fell in love with the multi-coloured polka dots in an instant!

• Reply Ferren February 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

It’s so nice to see more of your home. Colourful and lovely– just like I’d expect from you :)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 11:39 am

@Ferren – Thanks so much, I’m thrilled with how it’s looking these days! I’ve been itching to share more of it but because I shot it for my book I didn’t want to blog it properly until after April! :)

• Reply Ferren February 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

Did you ever do your white floors?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 11:43 am

@Ferren – Yep, white floors in the bedroom and office; love them!

• Reply Candy Pop February 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Gorgeous post, so many happy colours!
    Have a great – colour filled – weekend!

• Reply Berga&gonzalez visualizations February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

spring is already here! flowers forever ;)

• Reply jillian February 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm

love it all! i cant wait for warmer weather! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply Jocelyn Casey February 28, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Bright post, Will! I love all your suggestions, they are easily attainable! I am going to refer your blog to one of my clients so she can be inspired by color. I love color AND I usually tend to lean towards neutrals with splashes of color so thank you for sharing your way of adding in some bright and cheerful goodies! Have a wonderful weekend! Jocelyn

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm

@Jocelyn – Neutrals with splashes of colour can look fab, too. I love grey with splashes of yellow or purple – so chic! Have a fab weekend and thank you to recommending me to one of your clients! xo

• Reply Geraldine@littlebigbell February 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm

You have a beautiful home Will. Desperate to see your book, can’t wait. Great ideas here, I need to get the paint brush out again soon to colour some of my furniture pieces. xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 5:21 pm

@Geraldine – Thank you for your generous words. I’m so excited for you to see the book! :) x

• Reply Tim@DesignMaze February 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Yay to your brilliant spring ideas!! I am so with you on spring blooms … Just such a treat when it’s bitterly -35C cold outside! nothing beats a cup of hot coco + fresh blooms + a fireplace for a toasty sunday afternoon!

Funny you mentioned painted furniture … I am about to tackle one myself! Wish me luck … #sonotaDIYer

Happy weekend to both you MRs! xoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 28, 2014 at 5:21 pm

@Tim – I can’t wait to see your painted furniture, Mr! Have a fab weekend! xo

• Reply trisha March 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm

the pom pom lamp is my favourite! it is absolutely adorable. xx

• Reply claire March 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Such lovely photographs and ideas – this has cheered up my rainy Monday morning. Really looking forward to your book coming out. Have you any book tours/signings planned?
    Claire.x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 3, 2014 at 12:04 pm

@Claire – Thank you! Yes, my UK book launch is at West Elm in London on Wednesday 16th April at 6:30pm. :) x

• Reply vicky M March 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I love spring. On the 1st of March I always get a couple of bunches of daffodils The are so inexpensive but instantly brighten the place up :)