Palette Addict: Perfecting A Blue Feature Wall

blue-feature-wall

I’m totally addicted to blue (case in point right here on my Instagram) so it was a no brainer to shine the spotlight on this stunning true blue feature wall in this week’s Palette Addict. In fact, it’s no surprise that I was drawn to this space given I have a blue feature wall in my bedroom, too. Although intense, the bold true blue hue works in this light and airy home because it creates intimacy within the triple height space. By introducing the colour in a single splash it amplifies the wooden panelling, creating additional visual interest out of an existing feature in the space; it also serves to zone the seating area from the rest of the open plan room. Finally, the gallery wall gives an opportunity to use accent colour to temper the strength of the blue and reference other hues used across the scheme, such as the mint side table, and sky blue and grey armchairs. What inspires you about this blue feature wall? How do you decorate with blue in your own home?

// Photography by Brooke Holm, via

• Reply Bea February 12, 2014 at 7:52 am

Great to see how they have sectioned the room with the blue accent wall.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 12, 2014 at 7:55 am

@Bea – Me too! It’s such a great way to visually break up an open plan space.

• Reply Susan February 12, 2014 at 7:52 am

Right, so I need all the art and all of the armchairs in my home!!

• Reply La Señorita Sú February 12, 2014 at 9:24 am

My house is one of the floors pine wood painted royal blue. It looks great. I recommend you try

• Reply funkysteph February 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I love blue too, and our master bedroom is in a blue/white scheme. I had hard time finding the perfect blue I wanted for that one wall, but I turned to Farrow and Ball and find out the exact tone I wanted… I love this room, with this touch of blue, the result is brilliant.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 12, 2014 at 12:12 pm

@Funkysteph – I have a Farrow and Ball colour on my bedroom walls, too! It’s called Cook’s Blue and I love it!

• Reply ash February 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Love this blue, it has such a richness when paired with the white to keep it fresh, big thumbs up from me! :-)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm

@Ash – Nothing beats a blue and white combo when it comes to freshness, right?!

• Reply Ash February 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm

It’s like the sea and foam, sky and clouds, denim and a white shirt, classic

• Reply 2moiselles February 12, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Wow, great blue. I like a lot the blue color into the interior decoration!!

• Reply Kathrin from Happyhomeblog February 12, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I have a blue accent wall in almost the exact same shade in my kitchen. Now I just need these cool pictures…… Lovely room Will!

• Reply dervla @ The Curator February 13, 2014 at 4:25 am

ok I don’t have a blue accent wall, but i did just put a blue dresser in my entryway and am decorating it with pretty piles of books with spines of varying shades of blue. Love it.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 13, 2014 at 8:45 am

@Dervla – That sounds so lovely! Decorating with books always makes a space feel homely and personal!

• Reply claire@celebrate creatn February 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I really like the shade of blue in the image and think that it would cause me to step out of my comfort zone when decorating in my own home (in a good way) if I were to use it. I’ve used navy blue as a feature wall colour in my bathroom and really love it. Thanks for sharing!
    Claire.x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

@Claire – Sounds lovely! That’s the great thing about blue, it’s such a versatile colour to decorate with.

• Reply latteLisa February 13, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I have to admit that I’m more drawn to the brick wall but I like this idea of breaking things up with one coloured wall. The blue colours in my home can be found in glassware and blankets … and hanging in my wardrobe ; – )

• Reply tim@designmaze February 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Love this blue wall! We are also doing a blue feature wall in the kitchen! Instead of gallery wall, I will have an overscale piece to ground the space!

Can’t wait to show it to you! xo

• Reply Tre June 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Love the colors. Wish the wife was brave enough to try something like this.