Totally Teal: Dulux Colour of The Year 2014

teal-paint-ideas-interior-desk-painted-deskteal-decorative-home-accessories-furniture

// Fig.1 | Fig.2 | Fig.3 | Fig.4 | Fig.5 | Fig.6 | Fig.7 | Fig.8 | Fig.9 | Fig.10 | Fig.11

Dulux recently announced Teal as their Colour of The Year for 2014. It’s a hue that agrees with me a good deal more than Radiant Orchid – Pantone’s colour of choice for 2014 – and also fits seamlessly alongside Benjamin Moore’s 2014 Colour of The Year, A Breath of Fresh Air. Teal combines the natural harmony of green with the tranquility of blue to create a rich yet balanced hue. Although strong, teal works really well when paired with other shades of blue or green. For example, a flash of electric blue or an indulgent splash of emerald green can work as stylish accents to a teal base palette. Plus, there are stacks of stylish teal buys on the market right now; I’ve rounded up some of my favourites to give you ideas of how to invite more teal into your home whether you’re looking to redecorate or simply welcome a new vase to your living room. What do you like about teal, and have you ever decorated with it? Which of the market picks are catching your eye? P.S. While we’re talking Dulux, I’ve just discovered that I’ve been nominated in the Colour Ambassador category for the 2014 Dulux Colour Awards. What an honour!

// Photography by Dulux

• Reply Sheandart January 15, 2014 at 3:08 am

Love all the shades.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 15, 2014 at 7:56 am

@Sheandart – Teal works well for a tonal scheme so you could introduce them all to a room!

• Reply tim@designmaze January 15, 2014 at 4:06 am

yay!! Mr. Color Ambassador … you are already the winner to all of us I am sure! loving Teal too and from the pieces you have above … the art work and the lamp are channeling with me… I think it’s time for me to hop over to say hello!

xoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 15, 2014 at 7:57 am

@Tim – Thank you! Isn’t the artwork beautiful? Leif always have such unique items – love them! x

• Reply aurelia-m January 15, 2014 at 7:21 am

I Like these colors. There are fresh and dynamic. I used them in two recents projects. Just one blue wall. The result was great!!
    xx
    Aurélia

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 15, 2014 at 7:57 am

@Aurelia-m – A statement teal wall? Now that I can get down with! Thanks for stopping by! x

• Reply Emily January 15, 2014 at 7:54 am

One of my favourite colours!
    I love the desk.

Congratulations on being nominated for the Colour Ambassador. Good Luck! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 15, 2014 at 7:57 am

@Emily – Thank you! The desk has a lovely unusual shape to it, doesn’t it! x

• Reply maison21 January 15, 2014 at 8:08 am

teal is the deal.

• Reply jillian January 15, 2014 at 12:38 pm

love these pretty picks! esp the couches! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply jenwilsonLWK January 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I bought Dulux’s ‘Teal Tension’ matt paint tone (though I confess not for decorating my walls but instead DIY favours for my wedding later this year!) It’s a truly stunning colour and so refreshing. I hope we see much more Teal appearing! Hope you are well and congratulations on the award nomination Will. Jen

• Reply un23 ilaria January 15, 2014 at 1:31 pm

It would have been the perfect color of the year (I admit Radiant orchid isn’t my favorite either!). My kids had teal in their room in Paris and it’s a beautiful shade of blue/green. When I had to repaint their rooms in Aix they asked for a change. I was disappointed but I let them pick what they wanted (with a little help from me to avoid a too-bright green and a too-baby blue 😉 I love the workspace with the different shades of green/blue. xxi.

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} January 15, 2014 at 1:43 pm

so in love with these couches.
    thanks will!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Poppy January 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm

love those colours and the painting is fabulous!

• Reply patricia January 15, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Love your picks Will. I just cannot get round that Radiant Orchid thing at all. The artwork you’ve chosen is simply beautiful (and the dark teal sofa is a steal!)

• Reply belinda marshall January 16, 2014 at 1:10 am

thanks so much for featuring my painting Will! clearly i share your passion for the bluegreens 🙂 i love the couches and the desk and your blog is gorgeous.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 16, 2014 at 8:02 am

@Belinda – My pleasure! Your work is beautiful. Thank you for your kind words, too! 🙂

• Reply mark January 16, 2014 at 11:37 am

This is a nice combination. All is looking so beautiful, lights sofa, table, chair, color of room every things ….

• Reply Hege January 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Congrats! They couldn’t have found a more coloruful person than you. Well done! Great colour and love the sofas!

• Reply chichi furniture January 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Liking the artwork and lighter sofa. The likable thing about Teal is its gender neutral and definitely calming.