Palette Addict: Cool & Organic Living Room

grey-living-room-decorating-inspiration

I think there is a refreshing feeling at home in January; the decorations are down and you have the opportunity to look at your space with clearer vision than the month before. Without the distraction that the shimmer and shine of the holiday season brings to many of our homes, it often feels good to hit Refresh on our decor come January. I don’t mean a complete overhaul, but simply a rework. Now feels like the ideal time to maximise on light to make the most of sparse light the winter season offers us. An ideal way to achieve this is to curate a collection of glass bottles and vases in shades of light blue and green near the main natural light source in the space. The light will diffuse through the glass giving a beautiful and soft light to the room. Meanwhile, if you have a neutral space you can also layer in hues inspired by nature to give your existing scheme a refreshing feel; you’ll feel like you have one foot across the threshold of spring in an instant. And with the days as dark as they are right now, there can be nothing wrong in that, right? Do you rework your living room in Januaury? How do you like to refresh your home at the start of a New Year?

// Photography by House Doctor

• Reply aurelia-m January 7, 2014 at 7:10 am

I love this mix of soft colors. xx

• Reply JULES January 7, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’d never thought to arrange my glassware collection by the window but will try now. LOVE the vibe of this room!

• Reply SOPHIE January 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

The single branch in one of the glass vases brings so much to the scheme, doesn’t it!

• Reply DERYN January 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

Lovely fresh mix! I love the painterly oblong cushion – do you happen to know where it’s from?

• Reply DERYN January 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thanks Will! They have some great pieces and always good to find out about a new interiors gem! :)

• Reply chichi furniture January 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Happy New Year.
    I love this palette – its very relaxing and the glass bottle make all the difference adding warmth.
    I totally agree, my home looks quite bare now the tree is down (it was a rather oversized tree this year) and the children decorated it so it was a mass with colour and lights. I hate january and think a home project is a very good idea whilst stuck inside with all the rain. Like you say, nothing major, just a re-jig and maybe add some new furniture to jazz up a dead space or a new mirror to add a tad more light!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

@ChiChiFurniture – Exactly that: a gentle refresh to help your rooms feel energised again!

• Reply Beth Marie January 7, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Theses colors i loove! Right now I’m trying to figure out how to decorate my two LARGE (16×18 and 12×15) in my rental house.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

@Beth – Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your rental decorating projects!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily January 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm

OOHHHH-EXACLTY my palette Mr B-this pic couldn’t sum me up more-will pin it ;-) Happy Happy NY lovely and see you v soon-re you doing HOME next week`? Will drop you a text xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

@Caroline – I think I’m out of town for Home, hun. And, yes, this space is SO you!

• Reply Lucy January 7, 2014 at 4:52 pm

This is brilliant! Love it! The glass definitely makes for more beautiful lighting. The New Year to me is always a perfect time to rework things and to clean. However, sometimes I’m late decorating for Christmas and leave my decor up after the NY.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm

@Lucy – Maybe you should call your’s the February refresh instead?! ;)

• Reply Christina // Franny & Franky Designs January 7, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Love this! I really need to work on our living room. The dark brown couch and beautiful, but predominantly dark red rug, needs some lightening up!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

@Christina – I’m sure some lighter textiles would do the trick there!

• Reply Geraldine@littlebigbell January 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm

It’s definitely going to feel like Spring in my Living room this Friday when that mint sofa arrives . I can’t wait! So excited! x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

@Geraldine – I can’t wait to see what it looks like in your living room; it’s such a fantastic piece!

• Reply LatteLisa January 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

It’s funny but as I clicked on the link to your blog I was hoping to find a palette-addict post! I’m not kidding! I was beginning to miss those. I guess it’s because these days I’m viewing various home accessories and trying to decide what to go for in our new home, so I completely relate to what you are saying.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm

@LatteLisa – What are the chances! So pleased you enjoyed it, Lisa! :)

• Reply Angelina June 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I am so glad I found this blog. There are so many wonderful ideas. I love it and going to subscribe right away.