Colourful Decorating Ideas: Old Joe’s, Sydney

// Market Picks: Fig.1 | Fig.2 | Fig.3 | Fig.4 | Fig.5 | Fig.6

I predict a colour riot! That’s right, I’m banishing the grey weather with a virtual trip to Australia to tour Old Joe’s in Sydney. The purpose of said virtual tour? To drool over the spot-on restaurant design by Sibella Court. The colourful interior of Old Joe’s (was named after an old milk bar in area that was covered in old advertising & run by Joe) feels oh-so-Aussie: relaxed and bright with a straight-from-the-beach, sand-between-your-toes kind of vibe. Sibella called on her own upbringing of beach culture in the 1970’s – striped umbrellas, washed out okanui boardies, tasseled terry towelling and so on – to direct the look of the interior. I like how Sibella introduced classic elements such as the terrazzo bar tops, soft sorbet colours, striped awnings & hand painted signage to give the milk bar an authentic feel. What inspires you about the colourful interior of Old Joe’s in Sydney? Do you

// Design by Sibella Court | Photography via We Heart and Sibella Court

• Reply 2moiselles January 9, 2014 at 8:02 am

I love this fresh place wit all these colors

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2014 at 1:35 pm

@2moiselles – Isn’t it fantastic? I love how energising and uplifting it is!

• Reply elisabetta @italianbark January 9, 2014 at 9:42 am

I loe this australian interior…and all Sibella Court projects, I like so much her ecletic style!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2014 at 1:36 pm

@Elisabetta – Me too! Her take on design is always unique and inspiring.

• Reply jillian January 9, 2014 at 12:42 pm

love those honeycomb pots ! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm

@Jillian – I know, right? They are from West Elm’s core collection and there are some top-notch new colourways this season. Love them!

• Reply Supal {chevrons and éclairs} January 9, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Sydney is so full of colorful spaces! I’m loving all the seating and the lamps hanging over the bar. Such a fun, inviting space! x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm

@Supal – Thanks for stopping by! Those lamps caught my eye, too. I love how the space feels at once energising and relaxing.

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell January 10, 2014 at 1:00 am

Old Joe’s look so cool. I’m really liking that colourful sofa and yellow light set against the turquoise tiled wall. That drink looks good too! ;) x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 10, 2014 at 1:43 am

@Littlebigbell – Doesn’t it look so inviting? The decor and the drink! ;)

• Reply krisi January 10, 2014 at 1:07 am

bright + beautiful!

• Reply alexa January 13, 2014 at 6:14 am

Beautiful. Obviously I need to go back to Sydney to check out this place!

• Reply FunkySteph January 13, 2014 at 8:10 am

I like the way you think about colors in your designs while so many others are on the trend of the monochrome with all white or all natural tones. I do love a touch of colours in my room…

• Reply Trisha January 13, 2014 at 11:01 am

such an adorable interior look! Thanks for sharing Will & happy new year x

• Reply Shell January 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi Will

i am a huge Sibella fan and you must see all her fabulous offerings when you visit Sydney. Especially her store, it is a treasure trove and you feel like you have lept into the pages of one of her beautiful books. Pack your swimmers and enjoy your trip because it is all fun and sun in Australia at the moment. Please check out my blog – Shell A Darlings Nest

• Reply sALLY [dECORADVİSOR] March 11, 2014 at 7:58 am

Woow. Photos are great. I really loved the colors. Very colorful like a candy Shop =) Thanks